Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should She Be Able To Wear the Shirt Without Facing Suspension?
Yes, of course! Freedom of Speech baby! 87 85.29%
No, Remove the Shirt! It is un-appropriate and you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinion. 15 14.71%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, it is.

Do you want your children to go to a school that can't tell kids when to eat lunch, which class to go to, forbid them to make out in the back of a classroom, remain quiet when the teacher is speaking, etc, etc?

You can understand why Home schooling is becoming a big hit and the government wants it banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 07:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is that corner of the Internet labeled "Absurd" that people like to rush to when they have no reasonable argument.
If you argue children should have the same rights as adults, are you saying students wouldn't do these things they have the right to do or that the government should have more control over adults.

The government has no control of when I eat or if I report to a government agency practically every day of the year.

Are you stating that the government should have such control over adults or that kids should say they won't go to school or eat lunch when told?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:59 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
For the people who voted "No, Remove the Shirt! It is un-appropriate and you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinion" please move to North Korea where no one is able to express their opinion.

OK if you say so. I'll book the ticket right now

Old 11-08-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You can understand why Home schooling is becoming a big hit and the government wants it banned.
I support both home schooling and school vouchers.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Was she immediately punished or was she given the option to change without punishment?
Why does she need to change her shirt in the first place? Can't the school tell the other students to freaking behave, since the shirt's message was not directed at any of them?

It's insulting, that she would need to change her shirt, because other students are unable to control themselves. It's no different than a school banning shirts with the US flag, because some hateful libs take an unreasonable level of offense to our nation's falg.

If she wore a shirt that said "Ford = Found On Road Dead" and students who were so attached to the Ford brand of cars started to assault her, is she at fault, or are the over emotional students at fault?

Old 11-08-2016, 08:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You think they would get triggered by a Hillary for prison Tee shirt?
Liberalism is a cult of personality mindset. How else do dictators rise to power, unless the brain numbed sheeple are worshiping them?

Old 11-08-2016, 08:38 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
A "Black Lives Matter" shirt is far more disruptive. It's an indication of support for a racist organization that commits terrorist acts and advocates for the murder of public service workers. Yet not just students, but TEACHERS wear this divisive, disruptive crap and are supported and applauded for it. In the interest of fairness would those wearing white sheets and white pointy hats be treated the same way?

Old 11-08-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Why does she need to change her shirt in the first place? Can't the school tell the other students to freaking behave, since the shirt's message was not directed at any of them?

It's insulting, that she would need to change her shirt, because other students are unable to control themselves. It's no different than a school banning shirts with the US flag, because some hateful libs take an unreasonable level of offense to our nation's falg.

If she wore a shirt that said "Ford = Found On Road Dead" and students who were so attached to the Ford brand of cars started to assault her, is she at fault, or are the over emotional students at fault?
Teachers should have the latitude to use good judgment to decide what is and is not disruptive in the classroom.

The student was given the choice.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:48 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Schools are for learning not campaigning, teachers have enough trouble maintaining their classes without some nutty girl making a statement. She can parade her shirt around off school grounds anytime she wants but not on school property.
She's nutty because she is against the most corrupt candidate in the last 50 years to get the nomination for a major party? She's not the nutty one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Amazing that the vote is around 45 people that feel this is a first amendment right, I'm guessing none of them are teachers.
Amazing that you think this is about the first amendment. I'm guessing you cannot solve problems since you cannot recognize the correct reason.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Oh dear Lord. To the people who posted below:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Schools should be the first places where such rights are respected and free discourse is encouraged. Unless you do not see schools as places of learning but as indoctrination centers. Oh wait...

But besides that you are right if this is a private school.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
You would have been fine though if students wore anti-Trump clothing, right?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The shirt is inflammatory only to drama queens who support the low life scumbag Hillary.
That's my candidate, you can't do that. Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If that shirt caused a disruption then the school and parents didn't do a good job of instilling tolerance and openmindedness.

The portals of social justice fromerly callled schools, cannot tolerate dissenting opinion.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, schools are not companies, schools are agencies of the government.

It should be noted that in "Tinker v Des Moines," the students won the right to unpopular political free speech in schools. The Court stipulated that the burden is upon the school to reasonably demonstrate that the students' speech, though unpopular, actually would create a disruption. It's not "disruptive" just because the teacher doesn't like it.
First of all, to those of you making it personal by saying, "But you'd be okay with...." you have a reading comprehension problem. I never stated I was okay, or not okay with anything. I've calmly explained the way schools operate.

Secondly, some of you keep talking about free speech, and being allowed to say this or that. Nowhere is it stated that the school is infringing on the rights to say anything, they're just enforcing that they have a dress code.

Jesus H. Christ - you're ticked off because schools have dress codes? Calm the hell down, some of you are acting liked drama queens. There are more important fish to fry than this.

Personally, since it was brought up here - I DOUBT the school would have an issue with anyone wearing a shirt saying Clinton or Trump. They probably encourage the discourse that goes along with taking a side. But it sounds like they won't allow a 'Hillary for Prison' shirt, just as they probably wouldn't allow a shirt saying 'Trump for Prison'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But that's where the problem may be here. I can't cite it for you, but quite a few years ago the federal circuit court that includes Virginia ruled -- specifically about t-shirts -- that schools could not say a t-shirt potentially could cause disruption, they had to prove it actually did cause disruption. Or at least that's the way the largest school system in the state was looking at the court decision.
I can find no ruling stating that a school must prove that clothing actually caused disruption. What I have found are rulings stating that not all free speech is protected in a school setting. That schools have a right to ban certain clothing, and in fact, I'm linking to an article from 2015 stating that the Supreme Court 'stepped aside' and allowed California schools to ban American flag t-shirts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a64_story.html

And an article from 2014, where a judge ruled freedom of speech was not being violated and that it wasn't the court's role to second guess the school.

Court rules school can ban American flag shirts to avoid racial strife | Fox News

Now let's be realistic. This has been THE most inflammatory election ever. People who typically get along are not speaking to one another, family members are turning against family members, etc. People are angry, bitter and passionate about their beliefs and have no problem being aggressive.

THIS THREAD ALONE PROVES THAT POINT!!!!

As a former principal, I think you can respect the need to balance freedom of expression among the students, with the need to remain civil in their discourse.

I believe the school would be fine with Trump or Clinton shirts, but not shirts that appear to be disrespectful to the other side, so to speak.

And, posters, let's not be naive and pretend that a shirt like that couldn't possibly create a problem within the school. I think if you're being honest, you know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies