Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:46 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
FDA takes care of what we eat.

EPA is not a department, so it can be closed by a president. If it were a department created by act of congress, then it would take an act of congress to close it.
Trump has chosen Myron Ebell, who is a climate change skeptic, to lead the way to drastically downsize and possibly even abolish the EPA. Your relative should polish up her resume.
While the EPA was initiated created by executive order, its my understanding that Congress has since passed legislation making it a "permanent" federal agency. This is why the EPA Administrator must be approved by the Senate. Thus, I don't think that the president can simply close the EPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:01 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The EPA doesn't do anything that the States themselves are suppose to be in charge of. What the EPA and the FDA does, are 10th amendment issues anyway.
Do you really think that states like Alaska and North Dakota will do anything to control polluters and reduce revenues from the exploitation of natural resources? What do you think would happen to the wildlife reserves on the North Slope, if Alaska itself was in control?

Old 11-29-2016, 11:03 PM

3,839 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This relative, who fought in the Iraq War, went to college after and obtained their Masters. So everyone attacking them is actually attacking a U.S. military veteran.

They have worked for the EPA making sure pesticides are not poisoning crops - there's much more to it than that but no one here cares.
Why leave? We need them to continue fighting against pesticides.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
They always felt that way, they felt like hard working heroes. But they can get jobs in the private sector without being made into the enemy. These are people that drive hours and hours all over the country taking samples in farm country.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:27 AM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
I have a relative that has dedicated their life to keeping our food safe and pesticide free. They said if Trump won, they would leave and so will many others. Trump has already said he will close the EPA so folks, I hope you know what you will be eating in the future.
Let them quit.

I'm sure there will be plenty of applicants willing to take their place.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:36 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Wasn't it reagan who said that trees emit poison? And GW who renamed clear cutting of trees "The Healthy Forests Initiative".

Ah, heck. who cares whether or not the air and water are safe?

For those who have a narrow view of whether or not it is the EPA or the USDA that keeps our food safe... they BOTH DO. Dirty air and water do have an effect on the safety of the foods grown in them. For example: how about a big serving of lettuce grown in the sludge from coal mining? Yuummmmm! That should make everyone who wants to both get rid of the EPA and encourage coal mining really happy. Welcome to trumpworld.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
You don't understand. Dismantling the 'oppressive regulations on businesses' and "getting rid of the EPA' includes no longer fighting against pesticides.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I have a relative that has dedicated their life to keeping our food safe and pesticide free. They said if Trump won, they would leave and so will many others. Trump has already said he will close the EPA so folks, I hope you know what you will be eating in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You claimed in the OP that our food would not be safe due the the fact your relative would resign from the EPA if Trump was elected.

Are you saying now that none of it was true? i.e. That our food is still safe to eat despite the fact that Trump has been elected.
Quote:
Exactly where is the lie? Where? My relative is looking for other positions in the private sector and Trump is not even in office yet. This comes off like a personal attack when it was nothing more than sharing one person's experience. Of course Trump supporters attack this person who is a military veteran that went to Bush's Iraq War so they must not be much for our soldiers unless they can use them as a political weapon.
Yeah, exactly where is the lie? It really doesn't look like from the OP that they said the food would not be safe due to the fact his relative would resign. I think we all know that the OP's relative is only one of many inspectors, and the whole program doesn't hinge on that single person.

It does looks like the OP is actually discussing that dismantling the EPA, and demonizing the civil service employees, is demoralizing and discouraging those who work for the government. So, yeah, let them leave, right? There is always someone who needs a job to replace them.

But, think about this: organizations, both private and public, lose valuable knowledgeable and experienced people, and it costs a lot to replace them - and to train and get the new people sufficiently experienced to do a good job.

In addition, think about the actual good work the EPA does - trump isn't planning on having that work kept on when he talks about 'doing away with the EPA'. That work - can just go away. So, we can all eat, drink, and breathe... whatever is available.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

Liberal fantasies again.

Trump will not close the EPA, but simply curb its outrageous acts of the last twenty years, which essentially writes law without the consent of Congress.

The EPA certainly has done many good things for America, but has far over-reached its authority and intended purpose as of late.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:19 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
FDA takes care of what we eat.

EPA is not a department, so it can be closed by a president. If it were a department created by act of congress, then it would take an act of congress to close it.
Trump has chosen Myron Ebell, who is a climate change skeptic, to lead the way to drastically downsize and possibly even abolish the EPA. Your relative should polish up her resume.
No wonder they're quitting, they're not even working for the department they thought they were 'working for.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies