Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:12 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I'm sure Trump would love to pull back progress in all forms of human rights, but the young people of this country won't let it happen.

"Human rights"?

Like what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 05:38 AM

44 posts, read 25,132 times
Trump doesn't give a damn about the LGBTQ community and neither do we who voted for him just like we don't give a damn about straight people either. We care about fixing the economy, lowering the national debt, fixing health care, getting crime under control, keeping our enemies off our soil and giving illegals that want to live of the system the boot.

We care about America, you know. The logical things. All that emotional crap meant to distract you about whose gay, whose straight, whose black, whose white, etc. is finally going to take a backseat, to what a POTUS is really supposed to be all about. You people are free and allowed to marry and not discriminated against more than anyone else, so put your feelings in check man or woman up, and help us make America great again.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Regardless of whether or not the religious right is able to roll back marriage equality, how do you think LGBT acceptance in general will play out in our society over the next four years?

Even under Obama, there are some places in the U.S. (I live in one of them) where LGBT acceptance has only reached the point it was in the major urban centers during the 1980s. Homosexuality is tolerated, but it's not accepted and coming out can have significant social consequences and possibly make you a target for physical harm or cause you to lose your job. Gay jokes and slurs fly in every day conversation and nobody thinks anything of it.

I am concerned that if the religious right gets what they want i.e. marriage equality reversed, DADT re-instated, some of the acceptance that has been built nationwide will be reversed and the situation will become unbearable in Bible Belt states like Oklahoma and Mississippi (if it isn't already).

Does anybody else have this worry or is it unfounded?
Laws are in place, the cultural progress is not about to be reversed.

Any fear stems from the campaign strategy of fear the dems instilled in the supporters in order to accumulate votes. This unfounded fear lingers to further divide the nation. Cries of the sky falling, life on earth about to die are the stuff of desperation and nefarious intent.

Fear unfounded.

That being said the extreme sensitivity spread by the social justice crowd, media and dems to ge votes will of course ebb. the zero tolerance has done more damage than good and made enemies where none existed. Hopefully the sensitivity will be dialed back to levels consistent with human nature.

If I use a medical term, it does not make me a doctor. by the same token, uttering the latest banned word does not make one a hateful bigot.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:03 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Listen pro and anti Trump folks. Trump is not concerned about changing the LGBT movement in either direction. His history shows he is very liberal on LGBT issues and was criticized by some conservatives back in the 90s. But even back then he didn't show much interest in the subject.

LGBT issues will be a state by state battle now.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:06 AM

237 posts, read 245,770 times
Maybe if you stop listening to the same people who lied to you this whole election you'll realize that nothing will change. Nobody is denying your basic human right of loving who you want. He never said anything about it. All this make believe stuff is sending everyone into hysteria, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:11 AM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Trump is a new Yorker. And was a liberal until a couple of years ago.

He does not care about that stuff. I suspect his cabinet will not either. Politicians are kinda like preachers. What they believe and what they say may be two different things.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:25 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
BREAKING: Trump Reveals His Plan For First 100 Days ? And It?s Worse Than We Thought

All done by Executive Action and not through Congress. Companies will no longer be required to cover the spouses and families of Married Gay Employees. My daughter's health insurance is through her wife's employer. They will no longer be required to cover a gay spouse. Straight married couples, of course, but not gay spouses. This is outright discrimination based on sexual orientation. Not religiously driven?

Old 11-10-2016, 06:40 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Legalized same sex marriage can be overturned in the US Supreme Court; Donald Trump told his supporters during the campaign that he wants to appoint conservative justices that will overturn the Obergefell decision. If a Trump nominated justice is on the bench 1 year from now the majority of SCOTUS justices are still for marriage equality. However, if Trump has two nominees on the court, there might be a ruling to overturn that decision. Obviously this will not happen in the next two or three years. The Court does not like re-visiting decisions - especially controversial ones - for many years.

If the Obergefell decision is overturned, the states then would have to pass new laws to abolish same sex marriage. Remember, before that decision in June of 2015, about 36 states already legalized same sex marriage on their own. The only thing the SCOTUS did was rule against a few states that were still trying to maintain their ban on same sex marriage.

Society has already changed in most of the US to recognize the rights of the LGBT community. The only battles will be in the deepest conservative states in the South resisting the growing tide of acceptance and support for the LGBT community.

The bad news for the LGBT community is - I think - there will no appointments to any federal agencies or courts during this administration. The most effective way President Obama demonstrated his support for the LGBT community was nominating both gay and pro-gay people to the myriad of agencies that help run this country.

Pro-gay rights people will have to concentrate on the 2018 and 2020 elections.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:42 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Here's the plan I could find on NPRs website. It doesn't mention anything about coverage for spouses and families of married gay employees. Here's what I do see about healthcare:

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

Trump's First 100 Days: Here Is What The President-Elect Wants To Do : NPR

Old 11-10-2016, 06:47 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I only see that happening if he lets Pence influence him.
I doubt Pence will influence Trump. He was a card flipped and shown to get votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies