Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 11:50 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Nothing happens over night, he's not the President yet, just keep coloring and blowing bubbles, it will be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, people who work in factories/manufacturing understand the benefit of unions. I know to many of you on the far right and the "alt-right" that they are poison but it is a fact that union outfits pay their workers more and they have better benefits than non-unionized companies.

I don't think that unions are 100% all hunky-dory but I support them because, as I stated earlier, a large amount of my family members work in factories in production/manufacturing environments. The ones who work for non-unionized companies do not get paid nearly as well as those who do. They understand this and also appreciate grievance procedures that are in place that can allow them to appeal any sort of disciplinary procedure or termination without just cause that unions provide. One of my younger cousins was recently fired from his non-union factory job. A friend of his at the factory told him that it was primarily because he made way more money than the other employees, due to him having worked at that location for over 10 years. He made about $20 an hour (which isn't much IMO) with full benefits. But they hire newer people in for $9 an hour without benefits (they use a temp service for the first year of employment until they are "hired in"). The person in HR told him that they routinely find reasons to terminate long term employees because they cost too much in regards to wages and healthcare and other benefits. It is a cost saving measure. This sort of thing doesn't happen at union places very often.

On this, wanted to note that I agree with the majority but I live in Ohio. Those who live in those little towns with no industry though, don't have "jack" but most of the cities themselves are doing okay and especially those of us who are educated and don't work lower level positions are doing okay. My cousin mentioned above already found a new job with a major retail outlet working in supply chain. Luckily before he went to work at the factory, he had completed some college which allowed a friend of his to refer him to the retail distribution/supply chain center of a major retailer.

Those who want a job here can find one and if they have some sort of training or college experience, unless they are lazy, they will be alright. IMO many of the people complaining about lack of opportunities are people who are not looking for or taking advantage of the opportunities that are available to them. Sometimes that means you have to move near a major city either in this state or outside of it. Ohio has 5 rather large metro areas and all of them have opportunities for trained/educated people.
" I know to many of you on the far right and the "alt-right" that they are poison but it is a fact that union outfits pay their workers more and they have better benefits than non-unionized companies."

It does NOT matter what they pay and what benefits they get IF the plant CLOSES.

A CLOSED plant pays NOTHING in pay and benefits.

Why do you think it is called the "rust belt"?

Today's plants HAVE TO COMPETE GLOBALLY.

Until the unions accept this, there will be LESS jobs.

We had a local company who tried to negotiate with the union and the union would NOT budge.

The owner said he could NOT compete and if he bowed down to the union demands he would go out of business.

The union leader stood fast and the company SHUT DOWN putting ALL the workers out of work.

About a year later the owner said he would reopen his plant IF the workers accepted his offer.

The union head said NO. The workers said HELL YES.

A job is BETTER then NOT having a job.

PS. I was not only a union member but, I was a steward, so I DO know a bit about unions.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If Trump causes trade wars with other countries, we all might be forced to pay higher prices for many goods (not just clothing), if we want to purchase those goods. We might notbe able to choose a different brand because all brands will be impacted. Even if we choose not to purchase something due to increased price (cause by trade wars), then we will still be impacted because companies will be buying higher priced items and these companies will increase prices on other goods and services.

US companies that sell items overseas will be severely impacted by trade wars because the other countries will stop buying the America items. This will result in layoffs at the American companies whose sales slowed down. These layoffs will cause a US ecomonic meltdown because people that were layed off will stop buying houses, stop buying stuff because they lost their jobs(due to trade wars).

Trump's trade wars will cause more jobs losses than job gains because of 2 things: 1) increased prices in the US for goods and services and 2) other countries stop buying US items.

It will cost us more money to buy things and people will be getting layed off in large volumes. Double whammy.
"If Trump causes trade wars with other countries,"

If, if, if!

I DON'T deal in "if"

We are one the largest buyers of goods in the world.

These countries NEED for us to buy their goods.

WE hold the cards.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Surely plenty of conservatives want the minimum wage abolished and see if people will work a dollar or two an hour on manufacturing.
"Surely plenty of conservatives want the minimum wage abolished"

I would like to see the NATIONAL minimum wage abolished because it so out of reality it isn't funny.

STATES can set what THEY think the minimum wage needs to be.

The Cost of Living is so diverse in the U.S. that national wage is ridiculous.

$15 an hour in NY is pittance.

In Alabama it is WAY above the norm.

In the NYC area property taxes can exceed $15,000 a year, therefore the wages need to be in line with the COL in THAT area.

I pay less then $800 a year. My COL is WAY BELOW NY so $15 an hour is absurd.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Stop outsourcing. This will never happen though. But IF and I say IF you wanted to stop it tax the HELL out of companies that are doing it! And I mean tax them not a light tax but enough to make them squeal like the pigs they are.
"Stop outsourcing. This will never happen though. But IF and I say IF you wanted to stop it tax the HELL out of companies that are doing it!"

What is YOUR expeience in owning and running a successful business?

When you tax companies to the point that they DON'T make a profit, the GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

The LACK of knowledge on all the so called "experts" is amazing.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:52 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this wanted to note that the highly skilled manufacturing jobs in my area have a huge shortage of qualified people and they are not being lost.

The only ones being lost are general production jobs and those people who assemble and push buttons. Some specific trades are also going out of favor due to technological influences like machinist (especially tool/die outfits) and some fabricators. Their jobs are being replaced by technology that can create tools for manufacturing. The engineers, designers, electricians, and programmers who specialize in this field are in demand. Plumbers are always in demand and so are electricians. But old school type of manufacturing positions that I highlighted above are being lost because of technological advances not because those jobs are being shipped overseas. Its cheaper for a robot to make the parts for the machine. Having the robot make parts means you only need the people to fix the machine that makes parts and that usually involves some sort of engineer or programmer and not the others that you mentioned above. Those people in my area make close to or over 6 figures in manufacturing plants.
That is good to hear, but I'm a bit skeptical that tradesmen are making 6 figures. Some of the engineers probably are. Can you be more specific?

Old 11-15-2016, 02:23 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Big labor and the environment HAHAHAHAHAHAH...

Im touched to see a shred of caring about other people and their environment!

But yea corporations are not, actually, people, and they don't care about them.

They will only conform to environmentally responsible standards when FORCED TO--

and you Trumpies should already be aware that Trumps platform was clear he plans on rolling BACK evironmental standards and safeguards as too much regulations for BIG BUSINESS-

business needs to be huge big and unregulated! Yay!

(after all he is a billionaire business man that doesn't think he, personally should ever pay taxes, right?)...

so back to thread topic- the logic would predict that jobs will come back to the rust belt when the manufacturing climate matches those of the rest of the world - right?
Funny thing anyone could figure out what you are saying, yet so many people are caught up in who they think he is that they can't see things for what they really are. I live in a very conservative area and these people are so convinced that Trump is for the little guy and he will do anything possible to make these people his main priority. The signs are all over that Trump is as big business as it gets and he will do his best to lookout for them. It kills me how they can't comprehend that, if anything things will be worse for these people!!

Old 11-15-2016, 03:16 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Nothing happens over night, he's not the President yet, just keep coloring and blowing bubbles, it will be okay.
is that working for you?

I can't wait to see all the excuses he starts rolling out (and yours too) for when the jobs DONT start rolling back into the rust belt...

I don't think people are gonna want to migrate down south to build the Wall for work, but hey the rest of the world and a lot of urban america does it(moves around for work) soooo...

Old 11-15-2016, 03:22 PM

575 posts, read 298,987 times
Quote:
Yes give it some time. Then you'll see some real Buffoonery.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:03 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,020 times
I aint holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies