Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:15 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times

Advertisements

Impossible to handicap, but I bet this is #1 or #2 on the list.

However, you can't repeal without Plan B. Obamacare is a disaster, and it won't be any better in 2018 if it is still around. Somehow, we've got to sort this out quickly and get on with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM

421 posts, read 205,102 times
It can't go away soon ENOUGH, thanks a lot for the over $2000 in bogus "penalties", you lying/thieving liberals

You crooks got your comeuppance on Tuesday, get out of people's lives already, just leave us regular folks alone! Is that too much to ask for?

JUSTICE has been served, i'm still feeling good from Tuesday

Old 11-10-2016, 01:19 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Been in financial hard times from this law. Is it going away and if so how exactly? And how soon will it be?

is 2017 still going to end on December with it having been another year of buy from the exchange or choose to pay the fine?

Trying to plan ahead. Thanks.
My guess is they'll start hacking away at it piecemeal. It's so complicated, can't see how the whole thing can be repealed without significant harm to people and businesses. If someone is in the middle of cancer treatments, for example. Or if a business has made business plans based on the ins. it has. Medical devices provisions are involved. It's tied in with Medicaid. Will the states have to pay back money to the federal government? A lot to consider.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I wish I didn't have to deal with it another year, but I don't see how I can get out of it.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:20 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
It will go away first 60 to 90 days

Old 11-10-2016, 01:23 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Impossible to handicap, but I bet this is #1 or #2 on the list.

However, you can't repeal without Plan B. Obamacare is a disaster, and it won't be any better in 2018 if it is still around. Somehow, we've got to sort this out quickly and get on with it.
Tax cuts are #1.

Privatizing Social Security is near the top.

I don't see how repeal of Obamacare gets done quickly w/o harming a lot of people and businesses. I think they'll remove certain provisions first....like the mandatory provision. Maybe add the across-state-lines provision.

This will give people time to finish cancer treatments, businesses to prepare different business plans based on different insurance costs, ins. claims to wrap up And ins. cos. need time to roll out non-ACA plans. If they just end the ACA suddenly, there's nothing similar to buy. In some places there are a few non-ACA plans out there to buy, but not in all areas, and not in mine.

Ins cos need time to set up new networks for non-ACA plans, too.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
If he thinks will go in and take a hatchet to it- he does not know law. the republicans should have helped in structuring a better plan- but they were obstructionist- and its gone haywire- well guess what folks-- now sitting in their lap- go to work! the repeal would make a huge mess - where would people go for insurance? who would pay in between if got sick, what happens to the 26 yr olds? what happens to the already sick in the middle of treatments - so you got cancer this year well next year now it is a pre- condition , sorrryyy .
the contracts already in place- with overseas- dead stop we will get sued for eternity-
stop hiring govt. workers?? ha-ha- build a wall where? and border patrol from? Mr. Trump will now have to face reality,,, and he will be one lonely man- because he really cannot deliver 3/4 of what he promised.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:21 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
This is a civil discussion about the immediate future of aca.

If a mod sees this please hack away at those two trolling posts above on page 2.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Whether one liked Obamacare or not, we have to do something drastic to fix healthcare in this country. Whether health care is a constitutional right or not, if we cannot provide medical care to all Americans, then I would hesitate to call us a true first world country.

What needs to happen (and what admittedly did not happen under President Obama) is that Republicans and Democrats need to sit down together, act like adults, and pound out some real solutions.
That abortion that was allowed to be born should have never allowed to become law.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:00 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Donald Trump elected: His 7 point plan for healthcare | Healthcare IT News

Quote:
1. A complete repeal of the Affordable Care Act, as no citizen should be forced to buy health insurance.

2. Congress should break down state barriers to allow insurance companies to offer plans in any state, as long as the plan is in compliance with state requirements.

3. Give people the ability to deduct insurance premium payments from taxes, as businesses are already allowed this deduction. Further, Trump pushes for a review of Medicaid options to make sure everyone who wants healthcare coverage is able to afford it.

4. Establish tax-free Health Savings Accounts, which could become part of an individual’s estate and passed on to heirs without an estate penalty. Additionally, all family members can use the account without penalty.

5. Trump calls for price transparency from providers and hospital organizations, to allow individuals to shop for the best prices on treatments.

6. Medicaid should be handled on the state level, including incentives, to ‘preserve our precious resources.’

7. Break down barriers that prevent drug providers of less expensive, safe products from entering the free market. And consumers should be allowed access to safe, imported drugs from overseas.

“The reforms will lower healthcare costs for all Americans. They are simply a place to start. There are other reforms that might be considered if they serve to lower costs, remove uncertainty and provide financial security for all Americans,” Trump noted in his plan. “And we must also take actions in other policy areas to lower healthcare costs and burdens.”
Google is your friend. Do any of these actually seem unreasonable? Even to liberals?

Old 11-10-2016, 06:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Much nonsense. ACA is not directly removable without Democratic approval. That is not going to happen.

The Republicans can use a continuing resolution to defund medicaid and such. And there are a few things where a consensus exists...the tax on Cadillac plans for instance.

But otherwise they need Democrat cooperation. That will require some significant compromise by the Republicans.

And note that discontinuing Medicaid is going to unleash vast negative publicity as kids will literally die in the streets and Hospitals will go broke.

There is a good summary of all this at the LA Times

Despite Republican pledges, 'repealing Obamacare' will be almost impossible — but it could be vandalized - LA Times

The Republicans have for years talked about how to deal with all this...but it was all political BS. Now they have to produce and will find that very difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies