Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:09 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
This is why we need to stop forcing University on kids who have no interest in the subjects they study and easy degrees meanwhile demanding that the american public pay for them cause they can't find jobs to pay off their student loans.

A practical certificate in something useful goes much farther than a 4 year degree in "women's studies/PolySci/etc".

People can earn a great living with a practical certificate/degree, we need more apprenticeships.
Yep. Jobs like welders, mechanics, machinists, pipefitters, or even more grey collar jobs like drafting, construction management, etc pay pretty good money and are often in demand in growing urban areas.

The country can use only so many rocket scientists and philosophy professors. Somebody has to do the real work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 08:45 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Society needs ditch diggers, too.
I never said it didn't. My parents and all my relatives in their age group have no education beyond high school. Many of them did the "real work," as you guys like to call it. So, I'm perfectly able to see both sides of the education argument. I can see both sides of most arguments. THAT'S what education can do.

YOU guys see only YOUR side of the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies