Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:29 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times

Advertisements

Interesting timing.

House GOP to vote on bringing back earmarks | TheHill

Quote:
Republican Reps. John Culberson of Texas, Mike Rogers of Alabama and Tom Rooney of Florida filed the amendment, which will be voted on through a secret ballot during the GOP leadership elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 01:49 PM

527 posts, read 320,261 times
No surprise.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:57 PM

979 posts, read 491,259 times
No surprise, these next four years we will see major cut backs to programs that many Americans need. We will probably see Medicare come to an end and given over to private insurance companies. We will also probably see a new wave of pork spending that is meant to benefit the wealthiest people in the country and give kickbacks to corporations at the expense of the taxpayer.

My main concern with this, will the people who voted the Republicans into power realize this or will they simply blame the Democrats for the things the Republicans do?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
No surprise, these next four years we will see major cut backs to programs that many Americans need. We will probably see Medicare come to an end and given over to private insurance companies. We will also probably see a new wave of pork spending that is meant to benefit the wealthiest people in the country and give kickbacks to corporations at the expense of the taxpayer.

My main concern with this, will the people who voted the Republicans into power realize this or will they simply blame the Democrats for the things the Republicans do?

What happen to the "keep your government hands off my medicare" guy? I'm sure he's out protesting Ryan.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:13 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
It's funny because it won't happen.

Conservatives to Congress: Don't touch the earmark ban | Washington Examiner

Old 11-15-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust anything Mitch McConnell has to say, I can see him pushing through a bill like this very quietly and then shrugging after it gets passed. Of course this is all just speculation, we will just have to wait and see what the first year has in store for us.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trust anything Mitch McConnell has to say, I can see him pushing through a bill like this very quietly and then shrugging after it gets passed. Of course this is all just speculation, we will just have to wait and see what the first year has in store for us.

It won't happen because earmarks no matter how loved inside the Beltway were seen for what they were; political pork barrel spending. Unless that feeling changes within the Republican base as a whole don't look for many members of Congress to get on this train.

Mind you earmarks did serve some purpose. Doling out funds to this or that district is what often helped get things through Congress and into law. LBJ used such tactics to get civil rights legislation passed. Famous and powerful Whips and Speakers of the House also used earmarks extensively to get things done. In fact they do say one of the reasons for the gridlock seen in the House today is that members cannot (or will not) take any position that will get them into trouble with their district. In the past such hard votes could be papered over with funds for a new airport, school, road, government building....

Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It won't happen because earmarks no matter how loved inside the Beltway were seen for what they were; political pork barrel spending. Unless that feeling changes within the Republican base as a whole don't look for many members of Congress to get on this train.

Mind you earmarks did serve some purpose. Doling out funds to this or that district is what often helped get things through Congress and into law. LBJ used such tactics to get civil rights legislation passed. Famous and powerful Whips and Speakers of the House also used earmarks extensively to get things done. In fact they do say one of the reasons for the gridlock seen in the House today is that members cannot (or will not) take any position that will get them into trouble with their district. In the past such hard votes could be papered over with funds for a new airport, school, road, government building....
I guess we will just have to wait and see, I on the other hand, don't have as much faith in a Republican Congress and president as you seem to do. I also, wouldn't be surprised if earmarks came back if Congress and the president was controlled by Democrats either. Congress likes to spend money regardless of which party they are in.

The gridlock that we have seen in Congress was due to the fact that we had a Republican Congress and a Democrat president. Now that that has changed, I am expecting the floodgates of bills to open up, with plenty of pork attached to each one.

Donald wants to build a wall, while the Congressmen in a random red state wants a bunch of money for pet projects. Those earmarks are coming back, and they are gonna come back in a big way.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
People can present whatever they want. All sorts of things are presented and never passed.

Now, should the constituents of these morons get voted out? I sure hope so but until something actually passes its simply what someone proposes.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I guess we will just have to wait and see, I on the other hand, don't have as much faith in a Republican Congress and president as you seem to do. I also, wouldn't be surprised if earmarks came back if Congress and the president was controlled by Democrats either. Congress likes to spend money regardless of which party they are in.

The gridlock that we have seen in Congress was due to the fact that we had a Republican Congress and a Democrat president. Now that that has changed, I am expecting the floodgates of bills to open up, with plenty of pork attached to each one.

Donald wants to build a wall, while the Congressmen in a random red state wants a bunch of money for pet projects. Those earmarks are coming back, and they are gonna come back in a big way.

Earmarks are (or were) universally used and loved by both sides of the House aisle; thus if there was any real love for bringing the thing back it would have happened long time ago.

Since their ban in the House (2010) there have been several attempts to bring earmarks back to the House, none have gained any traction. Some want earmarks back to help Congress pass bills

Even *if* the House did succeed in lifting its own ban on earmarks the Senate remains under a self imposed same (to ward off it happing via legislation I shouldn't wonder). Thus anything that came out of the House filled with earmarks could be stripped out by the Senate and or via a forced reconciliation process.

Seeing how His Orangeness and the Republicans ran on a platform of reducing government spending, don't see how returning earmarks can be see as anything but backsliding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies