Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Well the children are following suit with the bashing.. Local high school -nasty racist remarks in the bathroom walls and " go trump" . Yep. They watching and listening, adults might hold back, but kids...
Not to worry. SF will turn the tide:

San Francisco teachers' union suggests lesson plan calling Trump racist, sexist - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Default Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about "snowflakes"?

We're just being lazy... it's easier to type "snowflakes" than "screeching puddles of pizz".

Old 11-17-2016, 11:17 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Why come up with something else when snowflakes perfectly describes them? These are people who grew up being told that they were all special snowflakes and nothing they do is wrong. They got their participation trophies. And this is the result.

Snowflake is perfect. Not sure if I'm part of generation Snowflake being in my early 30s, but I can't think of anything better.
The problem is that it's used as a blanket description for an entire generation, as if that is the norm. My daughter was not brought up that way, nor was she taught that in school or anywhere else. Never heard of "participation trophies" anywhere except on City-Data. (My daughter is 25.)

But she WAS brought up that people are supposed to be considered equally valuable, that sexual orientation is not a choice, that we don't mock people who have less than we do or are different in some way, and that you take people as individuals rather than lumping them into some group because of the characteristics of a few of that group.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:18 AM

732 posts, read 1,046,218 times
What? No mention yet of therapy dogs? Actually, I like the term "cuddle puppies" better. As a matter of fact, if you're female, you can snuggle your cuddle puppies next to your sweater puppies.

See how easy it is to be insulting and politically incorrect at the same time? Do I get a participation trophy?

Old 11-17-2016, 03:41 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about "snowflakes?"

I mean, not that it's that horrible, as insults go, but it is becoming awfully tedious. Original, witty disses are a lot more effective, I promise. And far more fun to read.
"Snowflake" is part of the vernacular of the so-called "alt-right"…
A guide to the language of the 'alt-right'-speak - LA Times

Considering that some "alt-right" folks are now using "Lügenpresse" ("lying press" in German), they could always use "Schneeflocker" ("snowflake" in German) to change things up a bit.
The Alt-Right Has Adopted An Old Nazi Term For Reporters -- BuzzFeed

Old 11-17-2016, 04:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
"Snowflake" is part of the vernacular of the so-called "alt-right"…
A guide to the language of the 'alt-right'-speak - LA Times

Considering that some "alt-right" folks are now using "Lügenpresse" ("lying press" in German), they could always use "Schneeflocker" ("snowflake" in German) to change things up a bit.
The Alt-Right Has Adopted An Old Nazi Term For Reporters -- BuzzFeed
Actually, most conservatives are enjoying schadenfreude too much right now.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The problem is that it's used as a blanket description for an entire generation, as if that is the norm. My daughter was not brought up that way, nor was she taught that in school or anywhere else. Never heard of "participation trophies" anywhere except on City-Data. (My daughter is 25.)

But she WAS brought up that people are supposed to be considered equally valuable, that sexual orientation is not a choice, that we don't mock people who have less than we do or are different in some way, and that you take people as individuals rather than lumping them into some group because of the characteristics of a few of that group.

I disagree. People know the special snowflakes are the loudest, most obnoxious of the Millennials, but not a reflection of them as a whole.

I use the term and have two Millennials myself who are nothing like that. In fact, they're happy they're out of school and don't have to deal with this current group of crybabies. Neither one of mine experienced any of this in college.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:13 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
What? No mention yet of therapy dogs? Actually, I like the term "cuddle puppies" better. As a matter of fact, if you're female, you can snuggle your cuddle puppies next to your sweater puppies.

See how easy it is to be insulting and politically incorrect at the same time? Do I get a participation trophy?
Yes, yes you do!

Old 11-19-2016, 02:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about "snowflakes?"

I mean, not that it's that horrible, as insults go, but it is becoming awfully tedious. Original, witty disses are a lot more effective, I promise. And far more fun to read.
Agree 100%.

Conservatives kill me with their penchant for being verbal myrmidons. If Limbaugh or Savage says it, it becomes embedded in dittohead skulls for infinity.

"Liberalism is a mental disease" is another great one. They didn't even know that they hated liberals until they listened to some bobblehead on the radio.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:13 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Agree 100%.

Conservatives kill me with their penchant for being verbal myrmidons. If Limbaugh or Savage says it, it becomes embedded in dittohead skulls for infinity.

"Liberalism is a mental disease" is another great one. They didn't even know that they hated liberals until they listened to some bobblehead on the radio.
You can speak for conservatives? I think not. Your snarky posts are an exhibition of why they don't like liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies