Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:29 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Alt-Left had been gaining ground. Essentially demanding what amounts to open-borders, globalism, silencing free speech with safe spaces, shouts of islamophobia if you factually point out Muhammad's teachings, screaming bigot, racist, sexist, etc...

However, we have seen the following recently:

-Brexit

-Trump's victory

-Marine Le Pen surge into 1st place in France (but she would struggle in 2nd round run off)

-A poll indicating that more Swedes want to leave the EU than stay (36 to 32% with 32% unsure)

-Italy's Alt-Left leader falling behind in the polls

-Norway cutting their decades long Hillary Clinton Foundation donations by 87%

-2/3rds of Germans oppose Angela "open borders" Merkel seeking a 4th term

-I could go on and on with polls showing most people in Belgium believe that immigration policies have hurt their country, etc...

Is the Alt-Left losing ground?
An Alt-Left movement would be against market globalism, pro-life (government control of your own body) and the Patriot Act (government surveillance). Hillary Clinton is not really a leftist politician and a so-called Alt-Left would hate her:

Why Does the Left Hate Hillary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 10:36 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
The Alt-Left had been gaining ground. Essentially demanding what amounts to open-borders, globalism, silencing free speech with safe spaces, shouts of islamophobia if you factually point out Muhammad's teachings, screaming bigot, racist, sexist, etc...

However, we have seen the following recently:

-Brexit

-Trump's victory

-Marine Le Pen surge into 1st place in France (but she would struggle in 2nd round run off)

-A poll indicating that more Swedes want to leave the EU than stay (36 to 32% with 32% unsure)

-Italy's Alt-Left leader falling behind in the polls

-Norway cutting their decades long Hillary Clinton Foundation donations by 87%

-2/3rds of Germans oppose Angela "open borders" Merkel seeking a 4th term

-I could go on and on with polls showing most people in Belgium believe that immigration policies have hurt their country, etc...

Is the Alt-Left losing ground?
What the hell is the alt-left? I've heard the term used before, but the way you used it is new. That's usually the form of left wing thinking the alt-left is described as opposing, at least every time I've seen it. So, I guess my question what distinction is there from the mainstream left and the alt left?

Old 11-26-2016, 10:56 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
What the hell is the alt-left? I've heard the term used before, but the way you used it is new. That's usually the form of left wing thinking the alt-left is described as opposing, at least every time I've seen it. So, I guess my question what distinction is there from the mainstream left and the alt left?
Based on context, I think it's just the liberal version of Alt-Right. So basically, non-traditional liberal thinking and ideology. Many SWJ's and movements like BLM would apparently be considered Alt-Left.

I'm a little surprised that the conservatives here and elsewhere haven't come up with a niftier catchphrase for them. Something clever like "Tea-bagger."

Old 11-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Based on context, I think it's just the liberal version of Alt-Right. So basically, non-traditional liberal thinking and ideology. Many SWJ's and movements like BLM would apparently be considered Alt-Left.

I'm a little surprised that the conservatives here and elsewhere haven't come up with a niftier catchphrase for them. Something clever like "Tea-bagger."
And that's fine, but many conservatives also see the SJW type stuff as being mainstream liberal thought. This is where I'm getting confused. People see what they want is the issue.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:53 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,673 times
It is just a blip in history. Alt-right or left consists of stupid people using Trump as an excuse to do the Nazi salute...and we all know where the Nazis ended up...

Old 11-26-2016, 11:55 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
No one had ever heard of the "Alt-Right" either until the media was looking to kick Trump in the nuts.
Is that so?

An Establishment Conservative's Guide To The Alt-Right - Breitbart

Old 11-26-2016, 11:56 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
It is just a blip in history. Alt-right or left consists of stupid people using Trump as an excuse to do the Nazi salute...and we all know where the Nazis ended up...
They ended up endorsing Trump, didn't they?

The Daily Stormer Endorses Donald Trump for President – Daily Stormer

Old 11-26-2016, 12:04 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
And that's fine, but many conservatives also see the SJW type stuff as being mainstream liberal thought. This is where I'm getting confused. People see what they want is the issue.
Hey, some liberals are stupid enough to consider Libertarians an "alt-right" movement, which it absolutely isn't. I think everything just naturally blends together when you look at the ideologies opposite your own.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:07 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
There's a progressive ideology, which is far left.
ie... extremist.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Hey, some liberals are stupid enough to consider Libertarians an "alt-right" movement, which it absolutely isn't. I think everything just naturally blends together when you look at the ideologies opposite your own.
Indeed, stupidity and assumptions occur on either side. And frankly, I don't like view it as two sides, so it just occurs everywhere. I hardly consider conservatives and libertarians to be on the same team. They have common ground in some areas, but that doesn't make them the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies