Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:00 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
T
Then there's drastic differences between the in- patient hospital experience, US vs other developed countries.
Generally speaking, hospitals do not compete for business, elsewhere. One is unlikely to find the bells and whistles increasingly common in the US. No valet parking. No lattes in the lobby. Few private rooms. No private baths. No room service. No delivery from local restaurants. No flat screen TVs or WiFI or if available, there is an up charge. Some hospitals charge for linens. Some hospitals expect a family member to be on hand to retrieve the standard dinner tray and deliver it to the patient. Babies are delivered by midwives in birthing centers, not hospitals unless it's a high risk birth situation.
Funny how you talk about not every country does the same, and then you go on to generalize all countries as some type of Soviet system. Babies ARE definitely delievered in hospitals in lots and lots of countries. Flat screen TV? Come on. You cant find a TV that is NOT flat screen in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Low cost plans for young people catastrophic plan $100-$30 monthly
IMO, catastrophic plans should be available for all ages. There are a lot of people over 30 and even ovr 40 and 50 that are just as healthy as someone under 30. People over 30 are more likely to have cash set aside to cover the deductible for catastrophic plans. Can't say what the premium would be, but it certainly will be lower than a plan with a lower deductible.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:19 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Litigation is a huge cost in healthcare, Obummercare totally failed to address this issue for political reasons.

There is no valid reason for people to obtain health insurance through their employment. Home, auto, life and other coverages are purchased on the open market where there is much choice and competition.

Tax credits are totally meaningless to low income people who pay little or no taxes.

Having government operate healthcare facilities would be like going to the DMV when you have a heart attack.

Preexisting conditions can be addressed without 10,000 pages of BS being included.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
> People over 65 in the US already have govt healthcare which does not have death panels.
The GOP is wanting to modify Medicare to remove the government (traditional medicare) and force everyone to get private insurance if they want Medicare. The GOP wants to give vouchers and if your voucher doesn't cover the cost of the monthly premium, then you pay out of your pocket for the difference. It's highly likely the voucher will only cover a bare-bones policy and anyone that wants something remotely comparable to Traditional Medicare will have to dig deep into their pocket and it still won't be as good because the private insurers will have gatekeepers and pre-approvals to save money (death panels in some cases).

Old 11-21-2016, 08:10 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Ever wonder why you never sees Aetna advertising? That's because they don't need you. They make their deals with big employers behind closed doors. They don't need your opinion. It costs my employer and me $18000 a year for covering a family of 4. I often ask them if they could just give me that $18000 and let me go and buy my own insurance. If the likes of Aetna had to compete for these dollars for each and every consumer, you'd see the rates come down to levels everybody could afford. Medicine is at its core just another service.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The GOP is wanting to modify Medicare to remove the government (traditional medicare) and force everyone to get private insurance if they want Medicare. The GOP wants to give vouchers and if your voucher doesn't cover the cost of the monthly premium, then you pay out of your pocket for the difference. It's highly likely the voucher will only cover a bare-bones policy and anyone that wants something remotely comparable to Traditional Medicare will have to dig deep into their pocket and it still won't be as good because the private insurers will have gatekeepers and pre-approvals to save money (death panels in some cases).
So the GOP want to turn Medicare into Obamacare. The Democrats should focus on that and the Dem solution should be Medicare-for-all.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:23 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
I don't have an answer for you. I don't think single payer is the solution. I think obamacare is way too complicated and has too many holes.

The thing people need to realize though is that we all paid for the uninsured already. We with insurance pay higher rates so hospitals can recoup their losses from treating uninsured people that they don't get a dime from. So they were already being unofficially subsidized by the rest of us pre-Obamacare. Getting them out of expensive emergency rooms and into prevention should have made us all pay less in theory.

I think maybe what we need to do is get rid of employer sponsored coverage altogether. Have everyone buy their policies on the exchanges. Let pre-existing conditions requirements remain illegal, but do away with the mandates of what insurance must cover. Instead the government can offer the companies tax incentives for keeping rates low and offering comprehensive coverage (i.e. The lower your rates are and the more things you cover, the less taxes you pay.)

It is worth renegotiating. Any honest democrat would admit that obamacare was a step in the right direction, not the be all end all solution (I'm sure Obama himself would agree.) I just hope what we end up with does not regress us to where we were pre-obamacare in our uninsured rate. Let's do what trump said and cover more people for less money.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
What nobody talks about is why none of the brilliant policies introduced in Obamacare that was supposed to cure the ills of health insurance systems worked.

- We were told we pay for the uninsured at the ER. Give them health insurance and they won't go to ER. Data do not support that. Nothing has changed so far as ER visits go.

- To lower premiums, make the young, who rarely use insurance buy insurance, hence the individual mandate. Didn't make any difference. Rates kept climbing. The individual mandate was also responsible to fund preexisting condition. That is not working either.

So which Obamacare theory came to pass?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:48 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Physicians have actively talked about it.
That makes it a foregone conclusion in your estimation?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So which Obamacare theory came to pass?
The one that outlawed the existing condition loophole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies