Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Maybe its strategical to say obamacare is here to stay, keep in mind obama is still the president and he can do some serious damage before jan 20, just 'play nice' with the angry left and wait till jan 20th to start implementing plans, not sure why people don't realize this.
So he was against it before if was for it. But later he will be against it?

Flip Flop and then Flip Flop and then Flip Flop again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 06:00 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah. We voted against Hillary.
We won.
Exactly. I don't care what Trump does. We beat Hillary and that's all that matters.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Trump has not been office one day. We have not seen his first hundred days. None of us really know what he will or will not accomplish - we can only speculate. I hope that he carries out his campaign promises.

We already know that President Obama spent eight years not helping the inner cities. With few exceptions; most are no better off than they were when he took office + the Country is now more divided than it has been in many years.

The Democrats lost the election because they forgot who they were supposed to represent. I was a Democrat for most of my life. I remember voting Democrat because they 'represented' Americans - the working class, the little guys, and the homeless. Hillary lost because she and her Party would not even listen to the people that put them in office. We saw how she only listened to money and not just American money. Trump was down in the pits and talked to the regular Joe's and that is the only way the Democrats will again get their power back.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:27 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Losing.

Their.

Minds.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:29 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
He has to appear moderate so some shenanigans aren't pulled before Dec 19th when the electoral college officially votes him in.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Signs of a rank amateur at politics,he has no plan he has no game as with his campaign everything is on the fly.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:21 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Based on his comments a mere 2 weeks after the election he is backtracking on some rather major issues that were major to his election He wasn't forced to make extreme statements, he would have won easily with less rhetoric. You seem to believe that this is good politics to just get elected, I do not.

He has regressed on statements on the ACA, putting Clinton in jail, Climate Change, Iran and immigration to name a few. I think he has lied to his supporters but like you say we will see in February.
No, I don't "seem to believe that this is good politics" at all. I'm simply stating that this is where we find ourselves. We have a President with these qualities, or lack thereof, depending on your point of view. What other good options do we have other than to accept what is, and make the best of it ? Perhaps some feel a better option is to overthrow his presidency, install HRC, and resort to whatever civil war follows that act ? What other options do we realistically have ? Please....tell me.

Constantly carping and complaining, while our absolute legal right, isn't really going to accomplish much at this point prior to his Presidency....or am I missing something ?

Regardless of who is President, I would think it's in our cumulative best interest to wish him well, and once he's President, we can hold his feet to the fire to honor his promises made in the campaign.....at least the ones we think serve our country best.

It seems there are quite a large number of people who desperately want him to fail in his job. That seems more than a little counterproductive doesn't it ? Imagine being on an airplane with a pilot you know is unqualified, but yet you are a passenger 30,000 feet off the ground. Do you really want to be proven right....that he is indeed unqualified and inept enough that the plane does indeed crash ? You'd sure be proven right, but it seems rather counterproductive to me....but perhaps I'm not quite as partisan as others.

I voted for Obama...twice. Nothing would have made me happier than for the ACA (affordable care act) to succeed. Trust me, I and a whole lot of others wished our overall healthcare costs would have gone down by the promised $2,500 per year. That we could have kept our existing plan (in my case it's a lot better, and less expensive than the options presented to me after ACA)....but we all know it didn't quite (understatement) work out that way for the vast majority of us.

My cost of healthcare insurance actually went up by $3,340 per year. I would have been overjoyed if the ACA would have been everything we were promised, or even close to what we were promised. It if had indeed saved us all $2,500 per year, and we could have kept our policies if we liked them....you'd not have heard much "peeping" from the conservatives...but, that's not at all what happened, and we're holding Obama and other ACA supporters feet to the fire. While the other side (republicans) didn't offer much in the way of other options (shame on them), the ACA was passed without one single republican vote, so it's rather difficult to blame them for this debacle isn't it ?

Our political system run by the elites, the well connected, the establishment if you will, has broken down. It's no wonder a guy like Trump won. Establishment politicians (both d and r) and their supporters have no one to blame but themselves for Trumps election. I hope it all works out, as should you, unless you prefer to shoot yourself in the foot to prove yourself right. I have no problem holding Trumps feet to the fire, once he's in office, and if/when he makes any decisions that aren't good one's, in my opinion. One is left to question the clarity of thought of those who intensely hope he fails, just to be proven right.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:28 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
#HillaryStillLost and Merry Christmas!

Not yet.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:12 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
That's how you make a deal!

I heard the best analysis of Trump on the radio yesterday. The analyst said that the most important thing to Trump was to win so he said whatever he had to to win. That's all he was doing. Saying anything to seal the deal on the win.

That's what a dealmaker does.

Now he won so he can do whatever he wants to. Those campaign promises mean nothing because they were only used to win. Winning was the ultimate goal.

Also, because he wasn't a politician, he was free to do this. Politicians usually try to keep at least some of their promises. Someone who is NOT a politician doesn't see that same need.
So let's look at this for a second. I think everyone that was either pro Trump or against can agree he has a big ego, Yes?

If you like or dislike him doesn't matter, How many people believe that with his big ego he is going to want to go down as a failed one-term president? I would state the answer is No.

In many ways I believe he now has to prove he can do it and as you stated, he doesn't like to lose.

He has to have red meat for those that voted for him in 4 years. He has to have the ability to expand his base for others to get on board to say Hey, that wasn't bad, the country is better after the last 4 years.

He is going to have to deliver on some of those promises and pitch it as progress and sell it to the other half of Americans as it was handled appropriately and turned out to be the right decisions.

I remember when the establishment Republicans stated Reagan couldn't win and would destroy the party.
That actor from California didn't stand a chance. Reagan ran on limiting government but dang he grow it and won his second term by the biggest landslide this country has seen since. Trump has won these same working class voters.

If you watched the news and yes Saturday Night Live back then it was the same as today. Reagan was portrayed as a unintelligent buffoon and the laughing stock of the world. He went on to be the standard bearer of the Republican Party and the entire country backed him by the second term. Even enough to give George Bush Sr. a cushy victory his first term. I truly believe the people loved Reagan by the end of his first term. He didn't deliver on all his promises but the economy improved so much and most of the country was proud to be Americans at the time and gave him credit.

Make no mistake, how well our country is doing in 4 years is all that is going to matter. If there are more jobs in the rust belt and the cities aren't on fire he will have a "Huge" advantage.

I think his ego and his determination not to be considered a big mistake just might give us a President that the majority is going to like in 4 years. Promises kept enough to bring the base of today and enough wiggle room to bring more Americans on board. Will see what happens.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011
The man is not even in office yet and the liberals are already on him about promises not kept. This is going to be interesting.
Well YES and he is showing how he really is now... ONCE HE TAKES OFFICE IT WILL BE THE SAME!!!!!!!

Not good.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies