Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:45 AM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post

Did you think that allegations about a presidential candidate should not have been reported on?

Did you think that polls and their projections of candidates' chances should not have been reported on?
Where did I say that?

My point is that the left threw everything it had at Trump, lies that easily brought down Romney, for example, and Trump still persevered. They labeled him a racist, not true. A rapist, not true. A failed businessman, not true.
Regarding polls, they can be manipulated to reflect the desired outcome of an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 10:46 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I know you are partly kidding, but of course Trump can expect criticism as he now explains what he really meant, more than just a little different than what he said, right? Agreed that "actions speak louder than words," but when even before taking office your post-election talk is so different from your campaign talk, we're not supposed to notice, or criticize accordingly?

I don't blame Trump supporters for scratching their heads now, but I don't blame anyone for being critical of making promises they really didn't expect to keep, especially when in this case it isn't even the influence of Congress that has had it's chance to alter Trump's plans. It's Trump himself, all on his own!

Yet again, and in so many ways, Trump proves himself the likes we've never seen take office before. In some good ways, plenty bad ways, lots of side ways...
I am not kidding. Based on the posts in this thread, I think that it is the stated belief of some of the Faithful that their Strong Leader should be above reproach until May 1, 2017.

Am I mistaken?

Old 11-26-2016, 10:47 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
We should spend less time worrying about who the president is and more time looking at congress. It's actually one of two or three reasons I voted for Clinton even though I despise her. She's one corrupt politician in one office. Congress is hundreds of them. That's where the problem lies. The amount of coverage the presidential election gets is unjustified. Congress is at least equally important, if not more so and is far more deserving of scrutiny the the executive office.
For the most part agreed, but are the politicians corrupt, or is the political process corrupting?

Not two of the same thing if you ask me...

As I've commented before, you simply can't expect someone to get into a mud fight and not end up getting muddy. Is it any politician's fault they have to play the game the way the game is played? Is Trump proof the system works as it should or that it is broken?

We need to look at Congress, yes, and listen to Obama, Sanders, Trump and so many others that have said it in the past and are still insisting! Congress simply must be cleansed of big money influence, special interests, the power of the lobbies, or you simply cannot expect any less influence of those corrupt forces, that politicians have no choice but to contend with!

To ask a politician in today's political system to be absolutely forthright and not beholden to special interests is like asking an olympic athlete not on performance enhancing drugs to compete with athletes that are. Doing that is simply to promote the opposite result desired! The best become losers...

Last edited by LearnMe; 11-26-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 11-26-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I think I see the issue.

I did not say that your opinion isn't true. I am saying that your opinion (and/or mine) by itself does not constitute fact.

If I said you were wrong, I would be obliged to prove that you are wrong by providing verifiable evidence.

I didn't, so I won't.

Stating an opinion as if it is a fact is something that I believe should be avoided.

No, it is not. People are free to express any opinion they like. It can be based on a lot of research, or none. If no supporting evidence is made available (burden of proof), it does not rise to the level of fact.

It seems you weren't, but I hope this exchange has helped in that regard. Has it?
Oh please, don't bury us with semantics...

If someone states an opinion, or what they believe to be fact, splitting hairs like you are now doing seems to take the exchange of that opinion and/or fact a bit off course. Unnecessary in any case...

Best I can tell anyway, I stated that all evidence indicates that generally speaking, most Americans are not sufficiently well educated enough to know what they should about politics; politicians, the political process, economics and history.

That's my opinion as well as fact. If you disagree either way, please explain why, and perhaps I can get you whatever evidence you need, but really?

In any case, I surely know the difference between opinion and fact. No need to elaborate any further about that...

Old 11-26-2016, 10:56 AM

439 posts, read 357,574 times
Quote:
Abstain or not, if you don't care, then what in the name of making sense are you doing in a political forum?
Isn't it obvious? I'm gloating.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I am not kidding. Based on the posts in this thread, I think that it is the stated belief of some of the Faithful that their Strong Leader should be above reproach until May 1, 2017.

Am I mistaken?
Seems you are correct, and I am signing off. That's both my opinion and fact!

Old 11-26-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Where did I say that? My point is that the left threw everything it had at Trump, lies that easily brought down Romney, for example, and Trump still persevered. They labeled him a racist, not true. A rapist, not true. A failed businessman, not true. Regarding polls, they can be manipulated to reflect the desired outcome of an issue.
Firstly, I didn't say that you said that. I asked if you believe that "the media" should not report on those issues. You haven't answered.

Let's talk. What did you expect "the left" to do? Say nice things about their opponent?

I think you might be confusing "the left" with "the media."

"The media" includes Breitbart, Fox News, InfoWars, Liberty News Writers, World Net Daily and the rest.

I think you might be confusing individuals with "the media."

Lots of people thought Trump said and did racist things, and associated with racists.

Some of those people were voters, others were from other countries, others were themselves journalists speaking editorially, expressing their opinion.

"The media" reported on those allegations.

I personally think some have merit, others not so much.

Thinking someone is racist is not something that is proven true or disproven. It's an opinion. "The media" reported on that opinion - which is, I believe, still widely shared, valid or not.

Would you prefer that "the media" be prevented from reporting on the opinions people have regarding candidates? Please note that I am not stating that you said that - I am asking if that is what you'd prefer.

How can you say the allegations of sexual assault - which "the media" did not lodge with the authorities, BTW, are "not true?" Has there been a binding adjudication in any of those cases? If so, can you cite it?

As to the business failures, they are a matter of public record, along with the successes. What's "false" about reporting on them?

Old 11-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Oh please, don't bury us with semantics...If someone states an opinion, or what they believe to be fact, splitting hairs like you are now doing seems to take the exchange of that opinion and/or fact a bit off course. Unnecessary in any case...Best I can tell anyway, I stated that all evidence indicates that generally speaking, most Americans are not sufficiently well educated enough to know what they should about politics; politicians, the political process, economics and history. That's my opinion as well as fact. If you disagree either way, please explain why, and perhaps I can get you whatever evidence you need, but really? In any case, I surely know the difference between opinion and fact. No need to elaborate any further about that...
OK, then.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Hmmm.

I created a thread not too long ago telling people to come back in a year to see what either candidate has done to fulfill their promises.

Well Trump hasn't even taken office yet and I see some grumblings about his flip flops.

I never thought either candidate would come through, and knew better. Just the way politics goes.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:09 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
The problem is that a lot of Trump supporters bought into the notion that because he wasn't a Politician he was going to do everything he said he would do.

I suppose you have never had to deal with a Salesperson, who is also a "Businessman" like Trump? Ever hear of Buyer Beware? I think you might have just bought yourself a Bridge. I am sure NY Businessman Trump knows all about that Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies