Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 09:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,488 times

Advertisements

They seem to be headed that way. They are losing the traditional blue dog/blue collar Democratic base, and will continue to bleed out religious African-Americans. I think by the next few elections, AA will realize Democrats have done nothing to help them. Their increasing anti-Christian will continue to only appeal to the atheists and Muslims.

What do you think?

Last edited by xboxmas; 11-29-2016 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 09:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
They seem to be heading that way. They are losing the traditional blue dog/blue collar Democratic base, and will continue to bleed out religious African-Americans. I think by the next few elections, AA will realize Democrats have done nothing to help them. Their increasing anti-Christian will continue to only appeal to the atheists and Muslims.

What do you think?
I think Trump supporters are reading a lot into a narrowly won election where the popular vote was lost against a candidate willing to say absolutely anything without being held accountable for it.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Everything goes in cycles. 7 8 years ago republicans were at end of life. Every ideology in American politics overplays it's hand from cockiness.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
They seem to be heading that way. They are losing the traditional blue dog/blue collar Democratic base, and will continue to bleed out religious African-Americans. I think by the next few elections, AA will realize Democrats have done nothing to help them. Their increasing anti-Christian will continue to only appeal to the atheists and Muslims.

What do you think?
First of all, the blue dogs were already voted out a long time ago. The problem with our government now is that the moderates in both parties have been voted out and the extremists have taken over. They can't stop bickering long enough to think about this country because they are so unwilling to compromise. I wish our politicians would go back to the days of drinks and cigars and negotiate for the good of all of us. I am a moderate democrat who was born and raised catholic. Contrary to your believe we are not all atheists.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
First of all, the blue dogs were already voted out a long time ago. The problem with our government now is that the moderates in both parties have been voted out and the extremists have taken over. They can't stop bickering long enough to think about this country because they are so unwilling to compromise. I wish our politicians would go back to the days of drinks and cigars and negotiate for the good of all of us. I am a moderate democrat who was born and raised catholic. Contrary to your believe we are not all atheists.
What does a "moderate Democrat" mean? A social democrat? Do you not support health care as a right for all and publicly funded elections to reduce the influence of the super rich to buy elections?

Old 11-29-2016, 09:34 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What does a "moderate Democrat" mean? A social democrat? Do you not support health care as a right for all and publicly funded elections to reduce the influence of the super rich to buy elections?
I do support healthcare for all. You misunderstood what I mean as a moderate. To me a moderate tries to work with both parties. And they will do whatever it takes to come to a compromise. They are not hell bent on their own agenda who digs their heels in.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:47 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
There's going to be a fight for the Democratic party between the Progressives (who want to destroy traditional America) and the Liberals who want a liberal social society. They need to straddle the line a bit on this to win with today's demographics. It would take a skilled politician (liar in chief) to accomplish this successfully.

In my opinion, if Trump and the Republicans are successful implementing their program and it works, it's going to completely wipe the Dems out of power unless they shift the Dem party back to middle and go after the Rust Belt voters and steer clear of the Progressives (kind of like Trump did with the Religious Right). Trump got the Religious Right vote by basically promising to load up the Supreme Court favorable to them. Dems could lock their Progressives up with a similar type promise.

If Trump's plans don't pan out, the Progressives might have a shot to win with their candidate.

Gonna be interesting. I'm betting on Trump and the Repubs to be dominant the next 8 years and then a whiplash back left afterward.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:28 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
There's going to be a fight for the Democratic party between the Progressives (who want to destroy traditional America) and the Liberals who want a liberal social society. They need to straddle the line a bit on this to win with today's demographics. It would take a skilled politician (liar in chief) to accomplish this successfully.

In my opinion, if Trump and the Republicans are successful implementing their program and it works, it's going to completely wipe the Dems out of power unless they shift the Dem party back to middle and go after the Rust Belt voters and steer clear of the Progressives (kind of like Trump did with the Religious Right). Trump got the Religious Right vote by basically promising to load up the Supreme Court favorable to them. Dems could lock their Progressives up with a similar type promise.

If Trump's plans don't pan out, the Progressives might have a shot to win with their candidate.

Gonna be interesting. I'm betting on Trump and the Repubs to be dominant the next 8 years and then a whiplash back left afterward.
You're off your rocker. You think social justice warriors and identity politics are the "progressives" and Wall Street democrats are not into identity politics and can win back the Midwest. Its the complete opposite. The "third way" Wall Street democrats focus intensely on identity politics and social issues in order to get people to vote for them, while progressives focus on an inclusive economic message of fairness and justice for all and are not in the pocket of special interests and big money donors. THAT is the winning path forward. You think someone like Sherrod Brown would lose against Trump? I dont.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:38 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Some sobering facts for you

Trump geographical landslide, (map courtesy of the NYT)

https://mishgea.files.wordpress.com/...landslide1.png

He won at least 80% of US territory...and the EV system (wisely devised by the founding fathers to prevent small highly concentrated urban areas to dictate their will to the rest of the country) is not going away anytime soon.

Hillary popular vote edge currently stand at 2.1 mil votes (source CNN, 28 Nov) not 2.5

What is more important, her edge is pretty much concentrated in only 2 or 3 states....California alone gave Hillary 4 million more votes....still all you get is 55 electoral votes even if the Democrats win 100% of the vote.

The GOP crushes the Democratic party in governorships and state legislatures....it is an unmitigated disaster.

The GOP has a very deep bench where to pick the future leaderships....the Democratic party one is rather shallow...I do not seen another Obama at the horizon....

The Democratic Party is at risk of becoming a regional party...the exact thing that was said abut the GOP before the election....too bad it was the opposite in reality.

In this race, the Democratic party put forward its star candidate, the flagship.....and she could not beat a very unpopular and controversial outsider.....she should have destroyed him, everybody was predicting a landslide or a very decisive victory and instead she was very convincingly beaten.

The Supreme court is now at the mercy of the GOP that has the chance to set the agenda for the next generation.

I strongly suggest to the DNC to start to care more about the middle class woes instead of LBGT rights and drop the gun control issue for good....

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-30-2016 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 11-29-2016, 11:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
If the DNC would drop just the gun control issue it would gain an almost permanent majority.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-30-2016 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post and reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies