Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 PM

649 posts, read 316,408 times

Advertisements

I actually knew a man that bought a truck off his neighbor & paid for it with food stamps .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Donald is not obese. He is 6.3 and 236 pounds. Well below the obesity level and his height helps.
I'm 6'6 and 240 and my doctor (and the charts) say that I am overweight and I am only a few years younger then Trump. He needs to be under 200, and even that is borderline overweight.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 PM

176 posts, read 419,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I love conservatives. Really I do. They are so consistent and without a whiff of hypocrisy. For conservatives who feel they may judge approved and non-approved ways to spend tax dollars:

Bad--SNAP recipients because they are drinking too much unhealthy non-nutritious soda and should use food stamps to drink milk.

Bad--Bloomberg for trying to limit the size of unhealthy non-nutritious sodas one can purchase, because everyone needs a gallon of soda in a cup.

Bad--Michelle Obama for trying to tell us what to eat, which happens to be nutritious food like vegetables, rather than unhealthy non-nutritious sweetened beverages.

Good--judgmental conservatives criticizing people for drinking unhealthy non-nutritious soda using 'their' tax money.

Good--millions and billions of dollars spent for Melania Trump (a former undocumented worker, nude model and 'self-sponsoring' green card immigrant) to maintain her NY lifestyle and not have to be inconvenienced by being forced to move where her husband's job is--at the expense of US taxpayers--of which her PE billionaire husband is not one.

But yet he has probably payed more taxes in any 3 years of taxes than you ever will in your entire life.
Sorry you don't really have a point that matters anymore just because you are a liberal.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
a) To the extent that there are "food deserts," they are entirely self-inflicted, since often in poor neighborhoods there is a propensity to rob businesses.

b) If there were "food deserts," then I assume people would be completely open to us handing out food and not money. But they really oppose that. It's like how there are panhandlers who have "will work for food" and if you try to take them up on their offer, they get very irate.

Also, if you left your job to take care of your parents, what exactly did you think was going to happen? You were basically given the convenience of making any decision you wanted to, including to purposefully lose your job and become unable to support yourself. And you openly admit that you did that to avoid spending your parent's money, which I suppose we're supposed to applaud?
a) Horse hockey. The people who own the liquor stores seem to make a nice profit.

b) And you last offered someone food when? I've given food to people like that and guess what? They were grateful.

Also, AKA c) WTF was I supposed to do? They took care of me, I took care of them. And yes, I tried to spare their money so they could have luxuries like medicine and stupid things like that. I don't give a rat's butt about your applause, but you seriously need to step off. right. now. I am not the first, nor will I be the last, caregiver of elderly parents who suffers financially. I hope it never happens to you, and if it does, I hope people treat you with more respect and compassion than you have shown here.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,766 times
Quote:
I love how liberals manage to confuse Michael and Michelle lecturing people who pay for their food with us people who don't pay for their food. I know, difficult concep

Liberal solution: just stop paying attention to how other people are spending your money and you will be much happier.
Same poster had to add a dig @ Melania Trump in a food stamp post ... sad little buttercup continues to whine.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:01 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Eligible purchases on SNAP ...

Soft drinks, candy, cookies, snack crackers, and ice cream are food items and are therefore eligible items

Seafood, steak, and bakery cakes are also food items and are therefore eligible items

Trump's right ... only in the U.S. are poor people obese. Load up on Twinkies and Coke, get Type 2 diabetes, and then expect the U.S. to provide health care because you abused your body.
Apparently billionaires are obese, too, from the looks of Trump.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
There are videos that show what happens when there is a hiccup for just a few hours. It isn't pretty. I assume the welfare takers will resort to looting. They loot when times are good, I imagine when times are bad they won't stop and say, "Hey Tyrone, we really should take care of ourselves and family instead of relying on the federal government."
I hate to break up what seems for some to be a klan meeting, but did you really write, "Hey Tyrone..." when discussing "the poor" (quotations signaling code some of you are using)?

You do know a lot of white people need assistance, right??? And not all assistance needed is because people are lazy???

Old 11-30-2016, 08:04 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
I love how liberals manage to confuse Michael and Michelle lecturing people who pay for their food with us people who don't pay for their food. I know, difficult concept.

Liberal solution: just stop paying attention to how other people are spending your money and you will be much happier.
SNAP recipients do pay for food. SNAP is supplemental.

Notice that the story doesn't say the SNAP recipients bought MORE soft drinks than non-SNAP people. It was just the #1, whereas non-SNAP people it was the #2 item. For both, the top 2 items were soft drinks and milk.

The SNAP people bought less of them, though. Because they have less money, so buy fewer soft drinks than non-SNAP people.

If that is a valid "study," which it isn't. It's from one grocery retailer in 2011. There were no official studies of such things by those who would know (the govt) until 2015, at which time there was supposed to be a study released.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:05 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Where there is a will there is a way.

Hunger is a great motivator.
Just because the motivation is there, doesn't mean the means are.

Besides, why not make it easier for those that really do want to work?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 PM

1,850 posts, read 819,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
a) Horse hockey. The people who own the liquor stores seem to make a nice profit.

Good point, but not for you. Notice how people will venture into poor neighborhoods to establish businesses that they frequent? That would be the same for grocery stores. Thanks.

Quote:
b) And you last offered someone food when? I've given food to people like that and guess what? They were grateful.

That's good, so since they are grateful for food, that's what we should give them instead of money so they can be grateful. See, I believe you. Do you believe you?

Quote:
Also, AKA c) WTF was I supposed to do?

Not quit your job, for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies