Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 07:51 AM

39,476 posts, read 27,828,619 times

Advertisements

Here is a good example of food stamp fraud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiGr5TOHW1Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,574,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So create more govt employees to do more unproductive tasks such as dust parking meters, dig holes, fill them up and redig them? lol Lets just burn the money in the street.
Yes, let's have a 81 year old retiree great grandmother that is getting food stamps partake in government work. She's not disabled, so give her a shovel and make her work for that $121 a month in food stamps that she gets in addition to her $644/mo social security check.

And don't let her buy a pound cake or a donut with her food stamps! How dare she eat a donut with her coffee in the morning before she heads out to dig holes to earn her food stamp money.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 AM

15,092 posts, read 10,185,609 times
Yeh.. I would support limiting the products/goods that food stamps can buy....

The time in my life that I ate the unhealthiest crap was when I was struggling.... cheap food has a great shelf life, full of carbs to make you full. Food stamps worked... there will be a scammer or person looking leverage the system.. always. I don't think it is worth scrapping because of them..

I find it interesting how the McDonald's menus vary depending on the demographic. The one near me (I now live in middle class neighborhood) doesn't list the 50 piece chicken nuggets on the menu but the previous town I lived in not too far has it for $12 bucks. You can feed 5 kids for less than $20 bucks and not have to cook nor clean. Yeh.. unhealthy but it is an option for parents in a pinch.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,907,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Yes, let's have a 81 year old retiree great grandmother that is getting food stamps partake in government work. She's not disabled, so give her a shovel and make her work for that $121 a month in food stamps that she gets in addition to her $644/mo social security check.
Lets no forget to put the children to work also. After all they are the number one recipients of food received from use of food stamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2slfo3zvk

Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM

1,850 posts, read 825,206 times
LOL, all the liberals who say that the elderly and children can't work. They're like "I just checked my liberal handbook and it says that you can only work between the ages of 35 and 50."

Old 12-02-2016, 08:13 AM

89,541 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The bottom line is that you cannot eliminate food stamps. Some people really need it.

Most of us are not in that situation and consider yourself lucky

I did a quick google search, it looks like Most households have to meet both a monthly gross income test and a monthly net income test to be eligible for SNAP benefits. So what difference does it make if they use it to buy soft drink or potato? They have to learn how to budget that SNAP anyway.
Not even remotely true. I posted the link to a USDA OIG study clearly stating that 59% of the households on Food Stamps ALSO stack the benefits of one or more additional MAJOR free food programs on top of their Food Stamp benefits.

No need to budget. They're already getting multiple times more food than they need, and are consequently disproportionately obese.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,907,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
LOL, all the liberals who say that the elderly and children can't work. They're like "I just checked my liberal handbook and it says that you can only work between the ages of 35 and 50."
I'm thinking that mandatory labor for young children and the elderly is reminiscent of some camps during WWII that I heard about.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 AM

39,476 posts, read 27,828,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not even remotely true. I posted the link to a USDA OIG study clearly stating that 59% of the households on Food Stamps ALSO stack the benefits of one or more additional MAJOR free food programs on top of their Food Stamp benefits.

No need to budget. They're already getting multiple times more food than they need, and are consequently disproportionately obese.
Oh I didn't know that. They don't need to budget? who knew?

If you decided to lower their allowance, I have no problem with that. I'd still stick to my previous point, you cannot get rid of food stamps 100% and cracking down on fraud is more productive than telling people what not to buy.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:16 AM

599 posts, read 403,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
1. Diapers do not qualify. No personal hygiene item does.

2. Bottled water is not a necessity for most people. Unless you live in a place like Flint, tap water is perfectly good. As a matter of fact, a lot of the big name bottled waters *are* tap water. Google it.
Thanks for letting me know I had no idea that diapers didn't qualify.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:17 AM

89,541 posts, read 45,216,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Go into a grocery store on a busy day and just look at what fat people have in their carts. It is no mystery why people are getting fat.

The question is should taxpayers fund obesity?
No, and we should end the double-dipping and triple-dipping or more of getting multiple MAJOR free food program benefits for the exact same meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies