Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times

Advertisements

I am a bit surprised that anyone (beside the family attorney) is questioning the justification of this shooting. It is quite obvious from the video that the situation was hugely dangerous. There were many ways for this to have turned out much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The kid is 14-years old and in critical condition, so while this may have been unavoidable, it is nothing to celebrate. Life is very precious.
Celebrate no..resolute . Yes

Absolutely an appropriate use of force.

The parents of this kid should have heavy hearts and heavier responsibility...they created this troubled person

The officer is now saddled forever for using force on a child..no matter the circumstance... I wonder if he will even be allowed to return to the school

This kid affected many people's lives... He is fortunate to still be breathing and perhaps get a second chance at life...

Old 12-08-2016, 09:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Exactly as I see it. I think force was (unfortunately) needed. I 'wish' he would have been shot in the knee or something, but things happen fast, and I am not second guessing anyone. I feel for the cop, the kid, his family, and all the kids that witnessed it. Bad situation.

Hate to see the OP celebrating this, and trying to spin it as "good guy with a gun". It was a school cop, OF COURSE he had a gun. Just because it was likely justified, it's no reason to celebrate

Jimj: I repped him for ya!
I'm not celebrating a kid being in critical condition but I do celebrate that a gun was used to prevent others from being injured.

Often a gun is blamed. The kid had knifes!

Where is the left to applaud the cop for saving a situation from getting worse.

I don't think the cop is sitting at home and laughing. It is very difficult for the cop to live with the reality of having shot a teenager but the cop did what he was trained to do.

No real winners here but many parents will be happy to getting their kids home in one piece.

A good guy with a gun is never mentioned by the left.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Celebrate no..resolute . Yes

Absolutely an appropriate use of force.

The parents of this kid should have heavy hearts and heavier responsibility...they created this troubled person

The officer is now saddled forever for using force on a child..no matter the circumstance... I wonder if he will even be allowed to return to the school

This kid affected many people's lives... He is fortunate to still be breathing and perhaps get a second chance at life...
As a LEO, do you think the crowd of kids that wouldn't disperse had something to do with the outcome?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I talked with my son this afternoon about this and made it abundantly clear that had he been one of those %&%#$ kids he'd have me to deal with when he came home no matter WHAT his (my son's) age may be.

He had an opinion about the cop shooting the kid which changed after I explained to him that
A. The child is lucky to be still living as that cop showed a whole lot of restraint.
B. That due to the crowd he wasn't left with many, or any options.
C. That cop now has to live with the memory of shooting a child, justified or not. That can't be easy on someone's mind. An adult who's attacking can be rationalized in one's mind but children?
I'd have to think that's a whole different story.

Point C is something I've seen a few here overlook. That's where I have been using the "need" vs the kid being "deserving" of the fired shot. That philosophy goes back to the old American West. As I first read it, it states; "There's men need killing, men who deserve killing, and them that need and deserve killing". It's a cornerstone of the famous (now infamous to some) "Western Justice". I believe it was originally coined by Judge Roy Bean. But I'm not certain about that.

Nevertheless, it still holds true. And it applies here, though hopefully the kid lives, and I sincerely hope he does. I want to hear from him, when he's lucid, what led him to do this. Unfortunately he has a legal mouthpiece, so the real truth may be elusive longer than it should. That this was a "good shoot" is not in dispute, the reasons it was required need looking at.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
That a dangerous situation was resolved with no innocent victims is something to celebrate.

That a disturbed 14 year old threatened lives with a pair of knives and had to be shot to protect innocent people is not.

Thankfully the cop was adequately armed and trained to mitigate a worse outcome.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Perhaps a stun-gun would be sufficient against a 14 yr old? Just an idea.
If he was issued one or he had time to draw. Either way when faced with knives you are justified in using deadly force.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 PM

451 posts, read 236,142 times
I don't know. I must be living on a different planet. There seems to be so much "compassion" for the 14 year old criminal. Because of his age? Because he was "bullied?" Because of this. Because of that. He had a deadly weapon! A knife and he was using it in a threatening manner. After repeated commands from the police...he did NOT comply and was neutralized!

The police officer was INDEED a hero and should be honored as such!I hope he returns to that school because I would want him protecting my children! He did his job. Thank God! He is no different than what happened a few weeks ago on the campus of OSU when a campus police officer shot and killed the radical Muslim terrorists who slammed his car in to the crowd injuring many innocent people.

This 14 year old was NOT innocent. HE was and is a criminal! His age, whether he was bullied or not doesn't matter. You never use a weapon to threaten people. If you do you will be dealt with and suffer consequences. It is not about celebrating what happened....it is about dealing with a threat and this was most certainly a threat to the public.

There were other avenues if this criminal felt bullied. Go to teachers, your parents, school resource officer
or whatever. But do NOT take a knife and threaten others. You will only get yourself killed. Seems pretty simple for me.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
the thing is you don't have to escalate the situation to putting someone in a hospital- i am in mental health- we don't get to point a gun at people and shoot- I am not a big person--
we have dealt with shanks and large pieces of metal and much bigger kids--

with a couple of mattresses-

I am not accusing the cop of doing anything wrong- he wasn't trained to do anything different-
and the situation was past verbal reasoning --

BUT THERE ARE OTHER WAYS THAN USING A GUN.

Putting someone into critical care, costs us all as a society.

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 12-15-2016 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 PM

451 posts, read 236,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
the thing is you don't have to escalate the situation to putting someone in a hospital- i am in mental health- we don't get to point a gun at people and shoot- I am not a big person--
we have dealt with shanks and large pieces of metal and much bigger kids--

with a couple of mattresses-

I am not accusing the cop of doing anything wrong- he wasn't trained to do anything different-
and the situation was past verbal reasoning --

BUT THERE ARE OTHER WAYS THAN USING A GUN.

Putting someone into critical care, costs us all as a society.

Much rather put the criminal into critical care than an innocent victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies