Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yams01 View Post
Ok, let's get the basics straight. We need the rural America for food and resources. But without urban America none of those would get made into anything as you need experts in science, engineering, medicine, etc. Without rural America we would starve and without urban America we might as well be in backwaters of Africa.

Partisanship is really dumb.
Agreed.

Tho we've got "wing nuts" on BOTH sides who don't agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 02:22 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
P.S. On the topic of food, liberals were the ones who came up with the great idea of burning food as fuel, which led to the greatest subsidies, which they claim to be against in the field of farming. Brilliant move as always from the Ivy Leaguers. "Let's burn corn!!"
Burn lima beans, eat corn!

Old 12-13-2016, 05:49 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Washington State is not bankrupt by a long shot. And if California is the suggestion, they just have to look at their property tax situation. They have Prop 13 which means their property taxes never increase. Great for someone that moved there a long time ago and still pays those tax rates. So they are relying on income taxes instead of property taxes.

California's economy is on fire, but the state's finances are facing the cold reality of a revenue slowdown. And experts blame the state's unusual tax system for the problem.

California taxes: Economy is strong, but shortfall may be coming

Washington state does not have income taxes but we have property taxes and assorted fees to make up the difference.
Seacove... you are generally spot on with your posts but not on Prop 13.

By statute under Prop 13 annual increase is limited at 2% plus voter approved assessments... only takes 55% voter approval to build or repair a school...

No matter how you look at it no one can say California Property taxes never increase unless trying to mislead.

And you are right... California has Property Tax, Income Tax, Sales Tax, Excise Tax, Utility Taxes, etc...

Also length of ownership is immaterial when it comes to Prop 13... it is simply based on the Fair Market Value at the time of transfer.

I bought my home in 2003.... my neighbor bought in 2011 the foreclosure next door... almost twice the size of my home and 50 years newer and my neighbor pays less property tax because he bought at the bottom of the market... how is this possible when I am the longtime homeowner by at least 8 years?

Now here is the catch when it comes to Washington and nearly busted me and I have posted about it alot.

I was getting transferred to Thurston County and bought a home under Washington I-747 which is similar to Prop 13... 18 months after I bought I-747 was gutted by a King County judge and my tax bill increase 80% in one cycle... that is right 80%!!!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Seacove... you are generally spot on with your posts but not on Prop 13.

By statute under Prop 13 annual increase is limited at 2% plus voter approved assessments... only takes 55% voter approval to build or repair a school...

No matter how you look at it no one can say California Property taxes never increase unless trying to mislead.

And you are right... California has Property Tax, Income Tax, Sales Tax, Excise Tax, Utility Taxes, etc...

Also length of ownership is immaterial when it comes to Prop 13... it is simply based on the Fair Market Value at the time of transfer.

I bought my home in 2003.... my neighbor bought in 2011 the foreclosure next door... almost twice the size of my home and 50 years newer and my neighbor pays less property tax because he bought at the bottom of the market... how is this possible when I am the longtime homeowner by at least 8 years?

Now here is the catch when it comes to Washington and nearly busted me and I have posted about it alot.

I was getting transferred to Thurston County and bought a home under Washington I-747 which is similar to Prop 13... 18 months after I bought I-747 was gutted by a King County judge and my tax bill increase 80% in one cycle... that is right 80%!!!
Thank you for the correction on Prop 13, as you know, I live in Washington, not California. Time and again Prop 13 is cited as a factor in California reliably predicting tax revenues. Is that correct?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Thank you for the correction on Prop 13, as you know, I live in Washington, not California. Time and again Prop 13 is cited as a factor in California reliably predicting tax revenues. Is that correct?
Revenue under Prop 13 is very predictable...

The issue many have is Prop 13 requires voter approval for new assessments and this complicates and delays.

Prop 13 came about after the State took over local school funding... it was one thing for the community to pay higher taxes for the local school and quite another to have local money syphoned off by the State under the Serrano Decision... it was also a time of double digit tax increases... so a one two punch plus corruption that led to suicide and prison in various Assessor Offices around the State.

The Statewide rate under Prop 13 is 1% for assessed value... in my city my actual rate is almost 1.7% because the voters tend to approve most measures...

Living in a city my property tax rate is about 50% higher than my friends living in county such as Castro Valley which has a downtown, a great high school, fine library and performing arts center.

The 3 main revenue streams in California are Property Tax, Sales Tax and Income Tax... Income Tax tends to be the most volatile and also one that can be avoided... a lot of my higher income friends now maintain residence status in Nevada and Washington as these States do not have personal Income Tax.

Thurston County gave me the financial shock of a lifetime when my tax bill went up 80% higher than the what I had paid for my home 18 months prior... it also gave me a real appreciation for Prop 13... I was way too young to have voted for it but glad to those that did...

What happened in Thurston County is an investor paid an over the top price for some land with grand plans to develop it... the locals all knew it had plenty of restrictions due to wetland and setbacks...

So based on one local sale, the assessor re-valued all our properties which nearly doubled... a couple of years later the investor lost the property unable to build but the damage had been done to the rest of us...

The Property Tax for my 1957 Oakland Home is 11k and the property tax for my Thurston County home went from $6800 based on my purchase to 12k in one cycle...

Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
In the most populace state, the state noted for being the most liberal, residents voted against gay marriage. Not a single one of them was from a flyover state.

Liberal snowflakes are all about the popular vote except when they lose.

"Prop 8, officially titled Proposition 8 - Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry, was a statewide ballot proposition in California. On November 4, 2008, voters approved the measure and made same-sex marriage illegal in California."
Thanks for the history lesson. You missed the ending but that's OK, same gender marriage is legal in all states now.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:26 PM

1,850 posts, read 819,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Thanks for the history lesson. You missed the ending but that's OK, same gender marriage is legal in all states now.
Yeah, you missed the ending where a single liberal judge was able to nullify the votes of millions of Americans and then liberals were like "dictatorship works!! Woo hoo!" And then they all started citing the Constitution incorrectly again, as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies