Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times

Advertisements

To me this would be an easy a no-brainer....scrap it from their platform, be done with it.

This issue alone is hurting them tremendously in smaller towns and rural areas where they need to make inroad if they hope to reverse their decline.

They been living in a false sense of comfort "long term demographics is on our side", too bad that trend comes with huge geographical unbalance, they dominate only in big cities.

Our political system is not going to change anytime soon (Senate seats assignment and Electoral College) and it was expressively designed in this way to avoid large cities political domination in the country.

They have nothing to lose abandoning the anti gun crowd....cut them loose...where would they go anyway? The Green Party? A gun control supporting voter that decides to abandon the Democratic Party over this issue would have nowhere to go for representation anyway, he/she would be reduced to irrelevance.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
I don't agree with the premise of the thread title.

We all tend to buy in to sensationalism and black/white thinking....while the truth of the matter is often complex. My quick take:

1. Without Comey, the Russians or with a better candidate and/or a TINY percentage change of the vote/turnout, etc. your thread title would read "What can Republicans do to get back?"

2. The current situation is clear. More and more Americans do not align with either political party. DJT is, in fact, a limo liberal at heart. He represents, in many ways, the dissing of the GOP by Americans.

Given those things I don't think the Democrats should do anything except work to make things better for everyone. The GOP should do the same. Political posturing is what got us here.

Meanwhile - as long as the status quo remains (and it does) - big business is setting the stage for more and more wealth to be transferred away from others to the top and multi-national corporations.

I used to enjoy politics to some extent - when there was a "game" to win. However, the game is over. The .1% won and there is little hope at this point for this country to go back "to the people".

That is not to say many of us (myself included) will not do well. But the overall measurement is what matters.

Speaking to your "gun" thing - what is going to be the general feeling in the USA if we see more 25+ mass murders...especially those of young people, children, etc.? What if there are a lot more police being shot? Will there be a hue and cry for some better background checks?

Frankly, I'm not a gun guy (had a phase from 6-14 years old, and none since)....but I am more scared of pit bulls than I am of guns.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:28 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,257 times
There is without any doubt no credible argument for anti-gun legislation. Now add in the fact that it violates the constitution.

The anti-gun position has been a political loser everywhere except in the most radical left leaning states.

So yes, leaving the anti-gun position would be the logical thing to do.

With the track record of the democrats, it is impossible to know if they will do what is logical.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
It's pretty obvious many states will never vote democrat as long as gun control is on the agenda. Imagine if the democrats dumped gun control and racial identity politics and focused on issues relevant to the average person in impoverished areas like rural Kentucky, West Virginia, etc. I have to vote against democrats every election on the gun issue because I won't support someone who wants to take my freedom away, yet I disagree immensely with the mainstream Republicans these days on environmental issues and other issues.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
To be honest I don't think the left/dems plan on changing a thing. I think they plan to double down on everything and attack attack attack even harder than they've done until now. It's about getting their way through persuasion, intimidation or force. It always is with the left, around the world. There's no room in that agenda for compromise or for rethinking parts of their platform. It's going to get ugly and they are going to hammer us until they win even if they have to take the whole country down to do it.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

1. Without Comey, the Russians or with a better candidate and/or a TINY percentage change of the vote/turnout, etc. your thread title would read "What can Republicans do to get back?"
History is not made of "if this, if that...." we will never know if Hillary would have won without Comey and "the Russians"......however I was talking about state politics too (state legislatures and governorships)...the Democrats are in bad shape.

Quote:
DJT is, in fact, a limo liberal at heart. He represents, in many ways, the dissing of the GOP by Americans.
Totally agree......however he campaigned as Republican and he does support some Republican hard core values.

Quote:
Speaking to your "gun" thing - what is going to be the general feeling in the USA if we see more 25+ mass murders...especially those of young people, children, etc.? What if there are a lot more police being shot? Will there be a hue and cry for some better background checks?
Unfortunately no gun laws or better background checks would have reduced/prevented the mass shootings we saw other than a total gun ban which many Americans fear (and rightly so IMHO) that is the ultimate goal of the Democrats......one feature at the time (ban on semi auto, then ban on magazine capacity and so on)...people can see through this very clearly....

Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
They need to stop the race dividing while pretend they're uniting people.

"Ok everybody, we need to end racism and unite everyone. Lets begin. All white people are racist!!!"

Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
To me this would be an easy a no-brainer....scrap it from their platform, be done with it.

This issue alone is hurting them tremendously in smaller towns and rural areas where they need to make inroad if they hope to reverse their decline.

They been living in a false sense of comfort "long term demographics is on our side", too bad that trend comes with huge geographical unbalance, they dominate only in big cities.

Our political system is not going to change anytime soon (Senate seats assignment and Electoral College) and it was expressively designed in this way to avoid large cities political domination in the country.

They have nothing to lose abandoning the anti gun crowd....cut them loose...where would they go anyway? The Green Party? A gun control supporting voter that decides to abandon the Democratic Party over this issue would have nowhere to go for representation anyway, he/she would be reduced to irrelevance.

What do you think?

Politically that's a smart move as gun control supporters would never vote for the Republican anyway.

The thing is not only they need to drop the issue, but they also need to actually peel back the existing silly legislation. Not going to happen in a million years.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
It seems to me, 8 years ago we were told the GOP was through. In fact, here on CD many libs were saying this 6 months ago. there will always be swings in political views. I do feel more of us are a mixture than 10 or 20 years ago. I don't see Trump as a staunch Republican, but he is showing us how he wants to do what he said he would do and most are policies that certainly lean more right than left.

Now, as for gun control; guys get over it. As the old phrase goes, guns don't kill, people do or if there is a will there is away. People who want to hurt others will find a way. All that would be gained by more gun control is the buying of guns from Mexico.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
They need to stop the race dividing while pretend they're uniting people.

"Ok everybody, we need to end racism and unite everyone. Lets begin. All white people are racist!!!"
This. In a nutshell. That's their biggest downfall.

They need to stop calling out races. And stop the term "people of color". Where did that even come from in recent years? It's just "colored people" reversed.

They also need to be tolerant and let people have opinions.

*Chip and Joanna Gaines go to a church*
*OMG! THE GAINES HATE GAY PEOPLE! LETS BAN THEM!*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies