Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:59 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,300,761 times

Advertisements

This is not a legitimate news source. It does not give any specifics in the "examples" it refers to, so there is no way to verify any of it. How about names of the textbooks it refers to? Great journalism there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 AM

1,850 posts, read 824,823 times
Someone is going to bust out the "separation of church and state" usual B.S., so I'll pre-empt that with two points.

a) As is often stated and always true, there's no actual doctrine of "separation of church and state." Subnote: as is usual for liberal arguments, they can never explain why the Founders didn't want religion in schools and forgot to do that the entire time they were alive.

b) Any community can decide whatever they want in their own school. The Constitution has no control over your school. Therefore, if your community wants to have a Christmas tree in the school, it can. If it wants to exclude a Muslim prayer rug, it can. There's no rule or law that says "if you want one, you have to have all." You can even have a Virgin Mary displayed on the lawn of the school.

Texas >> your state.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,998,880 times
Be clear, the issue was a Bible verse, not a Christmas poster. I do think biblical verses are in appropriate for public schools. Christmas displays, merry Christmas and the like are perfectly acceptable, as long as the other major winter holidays also knowledged, but biblical verses are a bridge too far. I know Killeen, Texas very well, because I was stationed at Ft Hood. As a military town, Killeen is far more diverse than a typical Texas city of its size.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:01 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,806,878 times
I think the OP is too easily offended. Another right wing snowflake that needs to move Uganda if he wants a theocracratic safe space.

In case you have forgotten, the United States is a secular country.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:03 AM

1,850 posts, read 824,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I think the OP is too easily offended. Another right wing snowflake that needs to move Uganda if he wants a theocracratic safe space.

In case you have forgotten, the United States is a secular country.
This wins the liberal Internet for the day. For those who didn't know, liberals have a secret contest where they try to make the most false statements in one post.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,015,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Be clear, the issue was a Bible verse, not a Christmas poster. I do think biblical verses are in appropriate for public schools. Christmas displays, merry Christmas and the like are perfectly acceptable, as long as the other major winter holidays also knowledged, but biblical verses are a bridge too far. I know Killeen, Texas very well, because I was stationed at Ft Hood. As a military town, Killeen is far more diverse than a typical Texas city of its size.
Texas passed a law in 2013 regarding Christmas. It reads as follows.

H.B. No. 308, also known as the Merry Christmas bill is a Texas bill that was signed into law by Gov. Rick Perry on June 14, 2013.[1] The law states that:

WINTER CELEBRATIONS.
(a) A school district may educate students about the history of traditional winter celebrations, and allow students and district staff to offer traditional greetings regarding the celebrations, including:
(1) "Merry Christmas";
(2) "Happy Hanukkah"; and
(3) "happy holidays."
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), a school district may display on school property scenes or symbols associated with traditional winter celebrations, including a menorah or a Christmas image such as a nativity scene or Christmas tree, if the display includes a scene or symbol of:
(1) more than one religion; or
(2) one religion and at least one secular scene or symbol.
(c) A display relating to a traditional winter celebration may not include a message that encourages adherence to a particular religious belief.[2]

Old 12-14-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Texas passed a law in 2013 regarding Christmas. It reads as follows.

H.B. No. 308, also known as the Merry Christmas bill is a Texas bill that was signed into law by Gov. Rick Perry on June 14, 2013.[1] The law states that:

WINTER CELEBRATIONS.
(a) A school district may educate students about the history of traditional winter celebrations, and allow students and district staff to offer traditional greetings regarding the celebrations, including:
(1) "Merry Christmas";
(2) "Happy Hanukkah"; and
(3) "happy holidays."
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), a school district may display on school property scenes or symbols associated with traditional winter celebrations, including a menorah or a Christmas image such as a nativity scene or Christmas tree, if the display includes a scene or symbol of:
(1) more than one religion; or
(2) one religion and at least one secular scene or symbol.
(c) A display relating to a traditional winter celebration may not include a message that encourages adherence to a particular religious belief.[2]
In my mind the poster violates the portion of the law I put in bold print.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:13 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,806,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
This wins the liberal Internet for the day. For those who didn't know, liberals have a secret contest where they try to make the most false statements in one post.
Oh what an absolute tragedy, a bible verse was taken down from the wall of a public school.

The GOP in Oklahoma was fine with the Ten Commandments statue on government land until the satanists wanted to erect their own statue right next to it.

You and the OP would be the first to be outraged if a school put up verses from the Koran on the wall of a public school.

Last edited by Drewjdeg; 12-14-2016 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 08:14 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,918,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
In my mind the poster violates the portion of the law I put in bold print.
Encourages adherence to a religious belief? You think they are going to become Christians? Really? You won't to honestly tell people that you fear people may become Christians if they see a bible verse...

Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Encourages adherence to a religious belief? You think they are going to become Christians? Really? You won't to honestly tell people that you fear people may become Christians if they see a bible verse...

I don't fear anyone becoming Christian. I do think it violates the First Amendment to promote a religion by displaying religious text in a public school. Displaying that poster is nothing but a thinly veiled attempt to promote Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies