Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Just because something exists doesn't make it okay. It isn't the topic of this post, but I do have a problem with the things you mention. I actually take a sharpie to most of the paper money I get and draw a black line over "In God We Trust". Luckily I use electronic payment most of the time so this isn't a big chore.
Wow. You're really into this.

Quote:
The Christian nation narrative is tired and false. Yes we have always had a majority of Christians, but the government is set up to be agnostic towards religion.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
And to say the founding fathers were all Christians is completely false. Many of them were deists, a fact many religious folks like to ignore.
Deists are Christians. They just don't think we can know much about God.

Quote:
It's becoming a bigger issue because demographics are changing and many Christians don't like their place of privilege being challenged.
Then we need to stop demographics from changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Burning the flag on public property is okay if it is undertaken by a private citizen acting outside of their official capacity. If a teacher or government employee or official burned a flag on public property while on the job I imagine they would lose their job. If they did it outside of work as a private citizen it should be protected as free speech. See the difference?
President Donald J. Trump will get Congress to pass a law against American flag desecration -- one that will survive Supreme Court review (he will be appointing at least three new justices.)

Burn the flag, and you'll go to prison for 10 years and/or be deported/stripped of your citizenship (if you're a citizen).

If you don't honor Christianity and our flag, then you don't belong in this great nation.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:39 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
President Donald J. Trump will get Congress to pass a law against American flag desecration -- one that will survive Supreme Court review (he will be appointing at least three new justices.)

Burn the flag, and you'll go to prison for 10 years and/or be deported/stripped of your citizenship (if you're a citizen).

If you don't honor Christianity and our flag, then you don't belong in this great nation.
Regarding the text in bold, do you really think this sets a good precedent or is a good idea? It seems quite dangerous to me.

If I don't honor Christianity I don't belong in this nation? That to me is a very un-American thing to say.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:40 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

You believe in too many fantasies, you would be hard pressed to find one judge that agrees with you let alone 4 at the supreme court level. Trump says a lot of things, you should only believe about 1% of his statements.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Wow. You're really into this.

No, it isn't.

Deists are Christians. They just don't think we can know much about God.
Some deists may be Christians, but all are not.

Quote:
Then we need to stop demographics from changing.
Why? And who is we? How do you propose "we" do this?

Old 12-16-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Some deists may be Christians, but all are not.
All the Founding Fathers who were deists were Christians.

Quote:
Why? And who is we? How do you propose "we" do this?
In addition to building the wall, we will pick and choose who comes to this country.

"We" means the American people who are Christian patriots in the mold of our Founding Fathers and who elected Donald Trump.

Only those who love our flag and honor our Christian heritage will be worthy of acceptance by this nation.

That is as it should be.

Indeed, that is as it MUST be if America is to survive and thrive.

Only liberals would want America haters and Godless immoral and evil people to come to this country.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
All the founding fathers who were deists were Christians.

In addition to building the wall, we will pick and choose who comes to this country.

We means the American people who are God fearing patriots and who elected Donald Trump.

Only those who love our flag and honor our Christian heritage will be worthy of acceptance by this nation.

That is as it should be.

Only liberals would want America haters and Godless immoral and evil people to come to this country.
But that doesn't address the growing number of non-religious who are already here. What would you do about us?

Furthermore, a religious test to enter this country would never stand up in court.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:49 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Majority rules.

Freedom of speech.

I could list more.
Majority rules? Majority does not always rule. In fact, it's the tyranny of the masses that is the weakest part of any direct democracy.

Freedom of speech is not unlimited, nor does it protect you from consequences.

Quote:
Then why is burning the American Flag OK on public property?
It has been ruled already on this twice

Texas vs Johnson (ironically) and U.S. vs Eichman

Quote:
Those in favor of that action claim "freedom of EXPRESSION" when the Constitution does NOT mention "expression" at all.

It SPECIFICALLY says "Speech"

If the "expression" of ones speech allows burning the flag on PUBLIC property, then religious items should NOT be banned using the same reasoning.

Either we have "freedom of expression" or we do not!
See above, this is a specific issue that has already been ruled on.

Quote:
As I said, America is a Christian nation.

When that is forgotten, America will be destroyed.
Far from it. In fact, the very documents we are talking about have not a single line stating that this is a Christian nation. Article VI even bans a religious test for public office. The First Amendment bars all laws respecting an establishment of religion. Also, the founding fathers were largely deist and spoke many times about religion and how "useful" it is.

I'm not going to post a bunch of quotes, you can find them yourself.

I will leave you with one quote though

Quote:
"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." --John Adams

Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
But that doesn't address the growing number of non-religious who are already here. What would you do about us?
Respect our Christian heritage and our flag, and you will be fine.

Quote:
Furthermore, a religious test to enter this country would never stand up in court.
Foreigners have no right to enter this country.

We can impose any test we like on them.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:52 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Respect our Christian heritage and our flag, and you will be fine.

Foreigners have no right to enter this country.

We can impose any test we like on them.
You're all kinds of misinformed. Power overwhelming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies