Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:19 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,000,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
In my mind the poster violates the portion of the law I put in bold print.
I think we have to break it down a little more than that though. Adherence means to "be faithful to"... the verse itself really isn't portraying that..

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a savior which is Christ the Lord. That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

(The Teacher) Ms. Shannon was not requiring anyone to convert to Christianity. She was simply celebrating the reason for the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:20 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,295,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I think we have to break it down a little more than that though. Adherence means to "be faithful to"... the verse itself really isn't portraying that..

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a savior which is Christ the Lord. That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

(The Teacher) Ms. Shannon was not requiring anyone to convert to Christianity. She was simply celebrating the reason for the season.
Secular displays in a school are fine and do not violate anyone's civil rights. Ms. Shannon can freely celebrate the "reason for the season" as much as she likes outside of the school.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:20 AM

184 posts, read 144,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Be clear, the issue was a Bible verse, not a Christmas poster. I do think biblical verses are in appropriate for public schools. Christmas displays, merry Christmas and the like are perfectly acceptable, as long as the other major winter holidays also knowledged, but biblical verses are a bridge too far. I know Killeen, Texas very well, because I was stationed at Ft Hood. As a military town, Killeen is far more diverse than a typical Texas city of its size.
It wasn't a bible verse. It was a quote from Charlie Brown Christmas. I realize that part of the quote is from the Bible, but I think the differentiation between attributing the quote to a movie and not the Bible is important. The full text of the poster is as follows:

I agree with clawsindude and think she may have violated the last part of the house bill that Jimmyp25 posted.

I am a Christian and very involved in my church. I am also an educator (I live within 60 miles of Killeen). I am able to keep my faith and my work separate. Posting a religious quote on my door at work doesn't make me any more of a Christian. Being told to take it down wouldn't make me any less of a Christian.

I'm wondering if a parent or student complained. I'm am surprised the administration intervened, and wouldn't have expected them to unless they were prompted to.

This article discusses the HB and whether she violated the last part of it.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educa...rown-christmas

Last edited by mcwick; 12-14-2016 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Add link.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
It wasn't a bible verse. It was a quote from Charlie Brown Christmas. I realize that part of the quite is from the Bible, but I think the differentiation between attributing thr quote to a movie and not the Bible is important. The full text of the poster is as follows:

I agree with clawsindude and tgink she may have violated the last part of the house bill that Jimmyp25 posted.

I am a Christian and very involved in my church. I am also an educator (I live within 60 miles of Killeen). I am able to keep my faith and my work separate. Posting a religious quote on my door at work doesn't make me any more of a Christian. Being told to take it down wouldn't make me any less of a Christian.

I'm wondering if a parent or student complained. I'm am surprised the administration intervened, and wouldn't have expected them to unless they were prompted to.
It is curious that she could have simply displayed a Charlie Brown poster that did not include a Bible verse, or any number of other non-religious Christmas decorations yet she chose this one...

Old 12-14-2016, 08:25 AM

1,850 posts, read 822,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The GOP in Oklahoma was fine with the Ten Commandments statue on government land until the satanists wanted to erect their own statue right next to it.

Really? They should have just laughed at the Satanists and continued to keep the Ten Commandments up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
You and the OP would be the first to be outraged if a school put of verses from the Koran on the wall of a public school.

That's right, I would be, since the community doesn't want that. Only liberals force communities to do what they don't want to do.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:26 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Someone is going to bust out the "separation of church and state" usual B.S., so I'll pre-empt that with two points.

a) As is often stated and always true, there's no actual doctrine of "separation of church and state." Subnote: as is usual for liberal arguments, they can never explain why the Founders didn't want religion in schools and forgot to do that the entire time they were alive.

b) Any community can decide whatever they want in their own school. The Constitution has no control over your school. Therefore, if your community wants to have a Christmas tree in the school, it can. If it wants to exclude a Muslim prayer rug, it can. There's no rule or law that says "if you want one, you have to have all." You can even have a Virgin Mary displayed on the lawn of the school.

Texas >> your state.
False and false.

It's called the Establishment Clause and Thomas Jefferson - during his lifetime - is the one who used the phrase "separation of Church and State" to further elucidate the concept.

And no, you can't have a Virgin Mary on the lawn of a public school paid for with tax dollars. That is promoting a particular religion. And a public school does in fact come under the purview of the US Constitution.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Really? They should have just laughed at the Satanists and continued to keep the Ten Commandments up.

That's right, I would be, since the community doesn't want that. Only liberals force communities to do what they don't want to do.
So as long as you have a majority it is okay to trample all over the rights of the minorities in the community?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:27 AM

184 posts, read 144,335 times
Quote:
It is curious that she could have simply displayed a Charlie Brown poster that did not include a Bible verse, or any number of other non-religious Christmas decorations yet she chose this one...
One of the articles I've read indicated the district told her she could take the quote down and leave the puctures, but she refused, saying the quote was the whole point.

It's been all over the local news here, and I've been following it because I'm curious what the repurcussions might be in the schools I work in.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
False and false.

It's called the Establishment Clause and Thomas Jefferson - during his lifetime - is the one who used the phrase "separation of Church and State" to further elucidate the concept.

And no, you can't have a Virgin Mary on the lawn of a public school paid for with tax dollars. That is promoting a particular religion. And a public school does in fact come under the purview of the US Constitution.
No, true and true.

Nobody cares what Thomas Jefferson said outside of the Constitution and furthermore Thomas Jefferson forgot to restrict religion from schools when he was alive, oddly.

And yes, you can have a Virgin Mary on the lawn of a public school paid for with tax dollars. The two are not related. Unless you mean that the government cannot accept tax dollars from religious people. Do you mean that? Because separation of church and state, FTW. Also, you're wrong about the Constitution governing schools. Clearly, your school was lacking in education.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
So as long as you have a majority it is okay to trample all over the rights of the minorities in the community?
What right is being trampled on? I'll wait so as to give you time to stop hyperventilating and having histrionics. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies