Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 12:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
not true. altho there were clinton supporters among the early birthers ( the PUMAs, phil berg ) they weren't the first nor were they connected to the campaign. i know that patti doyle, clinton's 2008 campaign manager, recently cited a clinton staffer that got fired for a "birther" email in december 2007 but if you read the email it claims that obama is a muslim and does not state he was born outside the US ( in fact it specifically states he was born in hawaii ).

how exactly? he released his birth certificate in june 2008. it was confirmed by the hawaii department of health in october 2008. when he obtained ( by special request ) his "long-form" and released it it only increased the birther conspiracy ( thanks to joe arpaio and the comically incompetent cold case posse ). exactly what action do you believe obama could have taken to quash birtherism?
There's nothing President Obama could have done when you had people like Trump and Arpaio on Fox 24/7 saying otherwise. It didn't matter that his mother was a U.S. citizen and the point was moot. Republicans hated Obama and any way they could make him appear illegitimate was good enough for them.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Canada has birthright citizenship. He was born a Canadian the minute he popped out. He had to apply to get his US citizenship, even if he was (rightly) entitled to it.
he had both canadian ( jus soli ) and US ( jus sanguinis ) citizenships at birth.

Quote:
He also had to officially renounce it (the Canadian one) before his Presidential run.
there was nothing requiring cruz to do so and multiple US presidents have had dual-citizenships.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
not true. altho there were clinton supporters among the early birthers ( the PUMAs, phil berg ) they weren't the first nor were they connected to the campaign. i know that patti doyle, clinton's 2008 campaign manager, recently cited a clinton staffer that got fired for a "birther" email in december 2007 but if you read the email it claims that obama is a muslim and does not state he was born outside the US ( in fact it specifically states he was born in hawaii ).

how exactly? he released his birth certificate in june 2008. it was confirmed by the hawaii department of health in october 2008. when he obtained ( by special request ) his "long-form" and released it it only increased the birther conspiracy ( thanks to joe arpaio and the comically incompetent cold case posse ). exactly what action do you believe obama could have taken to quash birtherism?
The Clinton camp are experts at farming out things they don't want to be officially done. You're free to be as naive as possible.

When the birther issue began to gain traction, he could have simply come out with this statement, "Being that my mother is a natural born citizen who has never denounced citizenship, I am a US citizen regardless of where I was born. Since I was born in Hawaii, I have requested my full birth certificate and will release it was it has been received."

If you're claiming it wasn't a very smart move by his campaign but just dumb luck on their behalf, that's fine with me. Personally, if I were an Obama fan, I'd be out there cheering how he was able to use such a dumb attack and turn it into such a great weapon.

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Finally we can get Obama kicked out of office, oh wait...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Ted Cruz's mother is a natural born US citizen which makes her son a citizen.
the US constitution does not define NBC. more than likely, IMO, the SCOTUS would side on the "citizen at birth" definition but until they do it is still open for debate.

Quote:
Even if Obama was born in Kenya (he was born in Hawaii), he would still be a US citizen because his mother is a natural born US citizen.
actually, in that hypothetical, obama's mother would have missed the age requirement to automatically confer US citizenship to a birth abroad by 3 months.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:27 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
he had both canadian ( jus soli ) and US ( jus sanguinis ) citizenships at birth.

there was nothing requiring cruz to do so and multiple US presidents have had dual-citizenships.

I agree, he was entitled to both. He still had to apply for the US one. For optics, if no other reason he had to be free of his Canadian ties.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
So is Arpaio lying like Nutty Don and has nothing to show.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So is Arpaio lying like Nutty Don and has nothing to show.
We won't know until his press conference.

Of course, anybody who shows up to cover it might as well be going to a "we found bigfoot" presser.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:32 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,164 times
Quote:
When the birther issue began to gain traction, he could have simply come out with this statement, "Being that my mother is a natural born citizen who has never denounced citizenship, I am a US citizen regardless of where I was born. Since I was born in Hawaii, I have requested my full birth certificate and will release it was it has been received."
You don't get it. Nothing Obama could have said or not said; done or not done, would have satisfied the birthers. There is no evidence or documentation Obama could release that they wouldn't have immediately labelled a forgery. The birther movement is, at heart, an anti-Obama movement; it has always been immune and independent of truth, logic or evidence. They didn't want Obama to prove his place of birth - they wanted Obama not to be president. There was therefore no reason for Obama to feed the movement or humor their demands.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The Clinton camp are experts at farming out things they don't want to be officially done. You're free to be as naive as possible.
you're speculating without evidence to support. try offering facts to support before accusing others of being naive.

Quote:
all that was common knowledge and he did release his legal birth certificate in june 2008 and confirmed by the HI department of health in october 2008. none of that stopped birtherism from taking hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies