Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 04:00 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
So what? What if the president were single or a widower?
But he's not. Moot point.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
hahaha!
you will seriously go to any and all ends to discredit Trump and defend liberals. this is cute.

I mean I don't even know what to think here. are you serious?

JFK nominated his BROTHER to be AG because his father demanded he do so.RFK was NOT a senator. He was a senate committee aid. The senate held a voice vote, because they knew they didn't have the actual votes. This is part of the public record. its not even disputed. AND JFK even joked about the fact that Bobby had no real experience.

As you say RFK was a very close advisor to JFK. THEN it was ok and NOW its not?

The only perception of a conflict of interest is the rantings of those of you on the left are saying something exists that doesn't.
No, it was not okay to nominate his brother. Nepotism SUCKS.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:03 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Someone needs to let Ivanka know that First Ladies don't sit in on the Presidents meetings. Hillary didn't sit in on Bill's meetings. Ivanka doesn't need to hold her daddy's hand while he conducts his own meetings.

I really don't like the way this seems to be a "Trump Klan presidency" rather than one man -- Donald Trump. What were the kids doing at his technology leader meeting? They didn't belong there. No one else brought their kids.
Again, it is clear that the trumps can't distinguish between their roles in his companies and their roles as members of his family. It looks more and more like every day in the trump administration will be "take your children to work day".

Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Anyone can do that, it doesn't have to be the spouse of the POTUS. Someday there may be a single person in office and, oh no, then what? And it could be a man as the recent election highlighted. It's TRADITION, not a RULE. Remember, there are cookie bake offs involved too...lol.
And again...HE'S NOT single so this is a moot argument.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, it was not okay to nominate his brother. Nepotism SUCKS.
Yes, and there was a law made because of JFK's action. That trump is having his legal team scouting around for ways around that law... is just a repeat of his history of skirting, or even blatantly disregarding, any law that happens to inconvenience him. Guess we'll just have to expect to spend the next - however long - spending taxpayer money trying to get him to behave like <gasp!> a president. It will probably put the amount spent of fruitless hearings on Benghazi to shame.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:16 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Funny that liberals identify as the progressives in our society but then are so upset that tradition is not followed in the White House. You wanted the 1st woman President - had Bill been sickly and Chelsea decided to step in to help her mom with the White House duties - it would be praised by the left and the Republicans would be told to be quiet and to move on.

He's here for 4 yrs folks - and for those with 401Ks or investments - hate all you want but he's already made you money - think how else you may benefit - but you wanted 4 more years of Hope & Change - gov't handouts and bubbles created by inflating the National debt.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Funny that liberals identify as the progressives in our society but then are so upset that tradition is not followed in the White House. You wanted the 1st woman President - had Bill been sickly and Chelsea decided to step in to help her mom with the White House duties - it would be praised by the left and the Republicans would be told to be quiet and to move on.

He's here for 4 yrs folks - and for those with 401Ks or investments - hate all you want but he's already made you money - think how else you may benefit - but you wanted 4 more years of Hope & Change - gov't handouts and bubbles created by inflating the National debt.
But again...Melania exists. She's not dead. And she's not sick. Moot.point.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
This ^^^^^. Wall Street Journal Reporter Monica Langley was on Anderson Cooper 360 tonight. I'll post the link, but unfortunately the linked clip (and also the story) misses Monica's words about the above...namely that Ivanka wants an office in the West Wing, but not as a paid employee, and wants the role to be informal. Her 'off clip' remarks also included that Melania will be taking on the traditional role/'duties of First Lady, and that Ivanka and Melania have already discussed this. Part of the linked clip and or story.....Eric and Don Jr. will be staying in NYC with the business, and won't be part of any government meetings after Jan 20th........Trump not going to divest himself re current properties.....Ivanka found the East Wing office rumors insulting....Ivanka and Jared want to separate themselves from all of there personal businesses and move full time to D.C. ....etc.

I'm actually watching the CNN piece an the AC 360 repeat on televison, so don't hold me to which parts are on the clip I watched sometime between the two AC 360 viewings . The CNN transcript will eventually reveal all.

Here's the link to the clip and story:

Langley: Trump not planning to divest himself from his businesses - CNNPolitics.com

One thing that has sort of cracked me up this year, but that I have also found sad because of what it says about our political environment is.....Before the election, progressives were running down Trump (irrespective of morality) in a financial sense ('bankruptcies'....'he isn't a billionaire'....'he doesn't own anything'.....'all he did was inherit', etc.)....IMO, to downplay any success he's had to deter people from voting for him (I didn't vote for either of them, so I felt more like a bemused bystander), and then after the election....'he owns interests in 500 businesses' 'he has interests all over the world' 'this is untenable'. PERHAPS what money.CNN reported today (based on a study done by a company known as PrivCo) will quiet the notion a bit that he's 'teetering':

Trump Organization is now America's 48th largest private company - Dec. 15, 2016

P.S. - One thing I forgot in the above post. In the interim between the two AC360 viewings...on the moving ticker at the bottom of the CNN screen..the following: The Trump Organization has just canceled two recently signed licensing agreements -- one in Rio de Janeiro, and another in Azerbaijan.
^^^^^ Do you think Monica Langley's sources lack credibility/are just telling her what she wants to hear? Just curious.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But again...Melania exists. She's not dead. And she's not sick. Moot.point.
Trump has not taken office. What Melania does or does not do after he takes office we really do not know. Perhaps she simply wants to slowly feel her way into her new roll or not? It is very hard for me to criticize them for what we think they will do. Give them some elbow room.

The one complaint I would have is traffic around the city. If it becomes too much of a problem I am sure that other measures will be taken. But, that again, is speculation.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:42 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
And Ivanka is already starting to lobby Congress. They really need to figure out what they're doing.

Ivanka Trump Is Calling Members of Congress to Get Started on Child-Care Legislation

Of course the trump apologists will talk about how amazing this is, while Hillary had comprehensive child care policy as part of her platform ages before this. And Ivanka's plan is only for women who actually give birth, not those of either gender who adopt:

Ivanka Trump Interview on Child Care Policies - Ivanka on Donald Trump's Maternity Leave Policy

but she didn't like being pressed on this. and daddy went off on the interviewer on twitter, of course.

Ivanka Trump cuts off Cosmo interview after tough questioning - CNNPolitics.com

Trump lashes out at Cosmopolitan reporter who dared to ask Ivanka Trump questions: She’s a “non intelligent reporter” - Salon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies