Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:35 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Students Tear Down Shakespeare In Name Of Diversity | The Daily Caller

W....T....F!?!?!???

I swear, a very large proportion of younger people today are straight up, irreversibly brain damaged.

Especially as one that likes to read this really upsets me. Dumb pieces of dung!

We need to rename SJWs Social Justice Nazis. I wouldn't be surprised if these kids got gold stars just for wiping their ***.
If true diversity is what he desires, several portraits should live side by side. Nothing needs to be "tear down" (for lack of better words here)

Regardless of sex or race, Shakespeare was there to honor his talent and work effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Because it's the English literature department, and Shakespeare is English literature. The man lived over 400 years ago, and people still read his stories. Hollywood still makes movies from his plays. Nearly everyone in the world, even non-English speaking people, can recognize famous lines from his stories. Who has ever heard of the lady they replaced him with besides a handful of academics? It's a shame and a travesty they voted on the removal of the portrait in the first place. Why couldn't they put the woman's portrait nearby? Why does it have to be either/or? Why not both? I just don't get it.
They hung it in the office of the HEAD OF THE ENGLISH DEPARTMENT.

Why don't you refer to the "woman" by her name? Audre Lorde was an African American writer and maybe her writings as a poet reflect more of the feelings and issues of what the students are experiencing now. Why would anyone make a big deal about this?

It's quite telling that the writer of the article uses the word "tear" as opposed to removed and rehung.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:00 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They hung it in the office of the HEAD OF THE ENGLSH DEPARTMENT.

The picture of the poet they hung in its place is ENGLISH SPEAKING. Audre Lorde was an African American writer.
So what?

Why did Shakespeare have to move for her?

Not enough room on the wall?

We know why he was moved.

He wasn't "diverse" (non-white) enough.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So what?

Why did Shakespeare have to move for her?

Not enough room on the wall?

We know why he was moved.

He wasn't "diverse" (non-white) enough.
And many believed that The Bard was an Anti-Semite...such is life. Big ****ing deal and sorry that you will lose sleep over the relocating of a picture...I on the other hand, will not.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM

1,008 posts, read 487,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh yeah? Tell me all about these plans you conservatives have been working on!

Are railroad cars anywhere in these plans?

God willing.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Yes, and vast regional mental hospitals.
I bet. Trump will be putting his own supporters in 'em....not liberals.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They hung it in the office of the HEAD OF THE ENGLISH DEPARTMENT.

Why don't you refer to the "woman" by her name? Audre Lorde was an African American writer and maybe her writings as a poet reflect more of the feelings and issues of what the students are experiencing now. Why would anyone make a big deal about this?

It's quite telling that the writer of the article uses the word "tear" as opposed to removed and rehung.
I didn't use her name because I couldn't remember it (which is kind of the point). I agree that the word tear was stupid, but headlines are like that. They have to grab the attention.

Personally, putting the greatest writer of the English language inside an office instead of a place of prominence is also the point. It's stupid, but I'm not crying about it. It's their university to do with as they please. It's just a freaking tragedy that Shakespeare is removed from his rightful place in an English Literature Department.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:44 AM

21,155 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Just remember, on January 20th, someone's picture will be replaced in every federal office across America.

Take that, black people!

(sarcasm)

Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Marginalizing white people and their European-derived culture.

It's the first step in what is called "genocide."
I think the issue is that YOU feel marginalized. Don't include all white people in your sadness.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I didn't use her name because I couldn't remember it (which is kind of the point). I agree that the word tear was stupid, but headlines are like that. They have to grab the attention.

Personally, putting the greatest writer of the English language inside an office instead of a place of prominence is also the point. It's stupid, but I'm not crying about it. It's their university to do with as they please. It's just a freaking tragedy that Shakespeare is removed from his rightful place in an English Literature Department.
Many believe him to have been anti-semetic so maybe that played a role in the decision as well. They did not exactly burn his plays so giving another writer that they feel is a bit more cotemporary and more in line with their current concerns and feelings is not at all strange and in no way disrespects the works of others such as Shakespeare. "Much ado about nothing" is probably what The Bard himself would have said about this.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-17-2016 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies