Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times

Advertisements

Teaching the great classics of literature is no longer of interest to English professors, and hasn't been for a long time.

Since the 1980s, they've been more interested in stuff like structuralism, post-structuralism, deconstruction, feminism, "cultural studies," Foucault, Derrida, Adorno, Baudrillard, the Frankfurt School, multiculturalism, gender identity, imperialism, etc.

A nice stew of pseudo-philosophy and left-wing fads buried in impenetrable jargon.

If they assign Shakespeare, it's probably to deconstruct his phallus-centricity, "male gaze" and totalitarian cis-gender imperialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 12:51 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
It's part and parcel of social justice. It's being willing and able to take the way things actually were, the way things really happened, the things that were written... and effectively invert and rewrite them in favor of the way you wish things were, the way you think they ought to be, and the way you want them to be going forward. "Shaping" minds by shaping the literature and history.

Remember, the way to convince people of things is to get them young. But it doesn't help if they're seeing the world for the way it was and is while they're being educated, so you also have to *change* the way things were. It's for the greater good. It's an attempt to do good using the tools of evil. It's Regressive.

----------------------------------------------

I think there are three kinds of reactions those who self-identify as "liberals" would have to these kinds of articles:

1. being [or convincing oneself one is] in complete agreement
2. initially finding something not quite right with it, but through some minor mental gymnastics, feeling the tug of needing to rationalize and defend its practice against people on the right who are loudly against it
3. seeing it straight off as the illiberal truth-denying facade that it is, and therefore disavowing it

#1s are unreachable. My goal is usually to cheer on #3s and work with #2s to enable them to see that things like this do not reflect classical liberal values and are not worthy of being defended. This isn't done by insulting or throwing tantrums (and I'm not saying anyone here is doing that).

Old 12-17-2016, 01:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It's part and parcel of social justice. It's being willing and able to take the way things actually were, the way things really happened, the things that were written... and effectively invert and rewrite them in favor of the way you wish things were, the way you think they ought to be, and the way you want them to be going forward. "Shaping" minds by shaping the literature and history.

Remember, the way to convince people of things is to get them young. But it doesn't help if they're seeing the world for the way it was and is while they're being educated, so you also have to *change* the way things were. It's for the greater good. It's an attempt to do good using the tools of evil. It's Regressive.

----------------------------------------------

I think there are three kinds of reactions those who self-identify as "liberals" would have to these kinds of articles:

1. being [or convincing oneself one is] in complete agreement
2. initially finding something not quite right with it, but through some minor mental gymnastics, feeling the tug of needing to rationalize and defend its practice against people on the right who are loudly against it
3. seeing it straight off as the illiberal truth-denying facade that it is, and therefore disavowing it

#1s are unreachable. My goal is usually to cheer on #3s and work with #2s to enable them to see that things like this do not reflect classical liberal values and are not worthy of being defended. This isn't done by insulting or throwing tantrums (and I'm not saying anyone here is doing that).
Shakespeare is alive and well in universities and theaters throughout the world. There is always room for the works of other geniuses and for contemporaries to have a chance to be highlighted and celebrated. True talent and genius is never outdated nor can it be replaced. I adore Mozart and Pavarotti but my love for the music of Fleetwood Mac and Prince, for examples, does not negate my adoration for the former.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:21 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Shakespeare is alive and well in universities and theaters throughout the world. There is always room for the works of other geniuses and for contemporaries to have a chance to be highlighted and celebrated. True talent and genius is never outdated nor can it be replaced. I adore Mozart and Pavarotti but my love for the music of Fleetwood Mac and Prince, for examples, does not negate my adoration for the former.

Good.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Man, these are some strrraaaaaange people.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree that we should not dishonor Shakespeare. His works are as relevant today as they were in his time.
Who dishonored him and how did they accomplish that?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Yeah, well some people think he was gay, so maybe moving him was gay bashing?

How about just leaving him where he was in the first place.
How about why the **** do you care?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:45 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How about why the **** do you care?
How rude!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:50 PM

27,154 posts, read 15,330,669 times
"College kids tear down Shakespeare painting because he wasn't diverse enough"

Big Brother has succeeded in ruining their minds.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Students Tear Down Shakespeare In Name Of Diversity | The Daily Caller

W....T....F!?!?!???

I swear, a very large proportion of younger people today are straight up, irreversibly brain damaged.

Especially as one that likes to read this really upsets me. Dumb pieces of dung!

We need to rename SJWs Social Justice Nazis. I wouldn't be surprised if these kids got gold stars just for wiping their ***.
There are 25,000 students at Penn. How many know or care about a picture?

Pre Internet/ social media something like this would be limited to the school newspaper.

Somehow "a gaggle" of Penn students who replaced the picture are representative of 30 million college- aged people in the US? There's a diff between a few and many and a large proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies