Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:48 AM

195 posts, read 161,478 times

Advertisements

Man who was wrongly imprisoned for 31 years gets $75 in compensation | The Independent

Quote:
A man who spent more than three decades behind bars for a crime he did not commit is fighting to up his compensation after receiving just $75.

Lawrence McKinney, now 60, of Memphis, Tennessee, spent 31 years in prison after he was wrongly convicted of raping a woman and stealing her television in 1978.

He was sentenced to 115 years in prison - 100 years for the rape and 15 years for the theft. He was released in 2009 after new DNA evidence found that he was not even on the scene.

Mr McKinney could be eligible for up to $1 million in compensation - the maximum - if the state’s parole board hears his exoneration case, which they have declined to do twice already.
Sad thing is I bet most women won't see a problem with this. Because women never lie about rape and, hell, even if some men are wrongfully convicted that's worth it if it means at least a few real rapists end up in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,901 times
The $75 was probably for the television, LOL. Just kidding.

Did that dumb c-word even apologize to him? Not that it would mean anything, but she should be forced to. And then thrown in jail for the rest of her life.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Please please tell me this is fake news.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:53 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Next time he should hire an attorney!

Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Not even $75.99?

well, all joking aside, I feel very sorry for this man, I hope he gets a lawyer and fight again.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:58 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Man who was wrongly imprisoned for 31 years gets $75 in compensation | The Independent

Sad thing is I bet most women won't see a problem with this. Because women never lie about rape and, hell, even if some men are wrongfully convicted that's worth it if it means at least a few real rapists end up in prison.
Sad thing is you believe most women won't see a problem with this because your own bias tells you that is true. It isn't. I am a woman, I think this is an outrage. This man deserves some actual compensation for having his life stolen away from him based on a lie. And the woman who lied, if she is still alive, deserves to spend the rest of her life behind bars as a small compensation for the life she stole with her lie.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:59 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post

This is a terrible miscarriage of justice. I hope he gets way more money than $75.00. That is sad.

I am not sure why the OP thinks most women won't see a problem with this. I am betting most women find this horrible.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:15 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,799 times
She didn't lie about the rape. It seems she misidentified one of her attackers.

On October 2, 1977, a woman was raped by two men in her apartment in Memphis, Tennessee.
She identified one of the men as 22-year-old Lawrence McKinney, who lived nearby and on October 7, 1977, he was charged with the assault. She also identified another man who lived nearby as participating in the gang rape.
McKinney was convicted in Shelby County Criminal Court on June 22, 1978 after the victim identified him in court as one of her attackers. He was sentenced to 100 years in prison. The other co-defendant also was convicted and sentenced to prison.

Post-Conviction

The law firm of Massey McCluskey represented McKinney in seeking exoneration.
In August 2008, tests of biological stains from the victim’s bed linen revealed a mixture of stains from three people—none of whom was McKinney. The tests identified the DNA profiles of McKinney’s co-defendant and the victim’s profile.
On June 30, 2009, his conviction was vacated and the charges were dismissed. He was released on July 20, 2009.

source: Lawrence McKinney - Innocence Project Innocence Project

So three facts here - she was raped, his DNA was not found at the scene and a third set of DNA from an unidentified person was found. Does that make him innocent? More than likely and he needs to be compensated for the years that were taken from him.

Oh, as I woman, I see a big problem with this.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I see nothing indicated the rape victim lied. Witnesses get things wrong all the time. Also the man has yet to be exonerated. We may not have the whole picture here.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:23 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
“believe the victim” dogma, and the resistance to seeing false accusations as a real problem, can also create a dangerous environment.

I have two big brothers. Thanks God nobody accused them of anything, but at least three women claimed my brothers were their babies' fathers. One women said she was pregnant and the next year, her belly was still flat and she was still "pregnant". These women were all very educated and came from great families. I can never understand their mentality.

Of course some women would "lie", but most women don't lie about being raped. For those who do "lie", you will never know the real reasons.

I hope the current flawed system offers better protection for honest and honorable men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies