Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 PM

22,454 posts, read 11,977,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Nope. That was fake. FAKE.

No, it is NOT fake.

The DNC got hacked. It was there for all to see. The DNC never denied it happened.

Look it up.

Your denial really runs deep. How sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

There are some who may not be able to move and some who just will not. People have been moving to the cities for economic opportunity for the past hundred years.

It's nothing new.

We make our own destiny.

That's all I know how to do.

Not everyone owns a house or has to sell in order to move.
You are so out of touch that you think things are like they were 50+ years ago.

Back in the olden days, it was possible for someone who owned a little more than the clothes on his/her back to move. Since many back then didn't own homes, it was easier to leave. They would pack a suitcase or a duffel bag and board a Greyhound going north. With what little money they had, it was much simpler to find a room to rent in a SRO building and only have to hand over the first month's (or week's) rent. Jobs were more plentiful due to there being a very strong industrial economy. A day of pounding the pavement tended to lead to quickly finding a job.

Now, today, it's a different story. More people own homes and selling in a depressed area is very difficult as it will amount to selling at a loss. Even if one is a renter, they may be bound by a lease. Breaking a lease can be expensive. It's easiest to leave when one is either living with relatives in the relatives' home or renting month-to-month.

Packing up and leaving isn't as easy these days. To move, one needs a reliable car. Or have the money for a train or plane ticket. Then, when arriving at the new spot, finding a place to rent is more difficult. Don't have a job yet? Many landlords won't rent to you. So...next option --- a sleazy rent by the week hotel. That, of course, requires you to pay the first week in full. No credit card? You have to come up with the full amount in cash. These days, pounding the pavement probably won't get you a job in one day. It may take longer. Find a job? If it is minimum wage---good luck trying to save up for a decent rental.

Sitting in your ivory tower, you just don't get it.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:49 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You are so out of touch that you think things are like they were 50+ years ago.

Back in the olden days, it was possible for someone who owned a little more than the clothes on his/her back to move. Since many back then didn't own homes, it was easier to leave. They would pack a suitcase or a duffel bag and board a Greyhound going north. With what little money they had, it was much simpler to find a room to rent in a SRO building and only have to hand over the first month's (or week's) rent. Jobs were more plentiful due to there being a very strong industrial economy. A day of pounding the pavement tended to lead to quickly finding a job.

Now, today, it's a different story. More people own homes and selling in a depressed area is very difficult as it will amount to selling at a loss. Even if one is a renter, they may be bound by a lease. Breaking a lease can be expensive. It's easiest to leave when one is either living with relatives in the relatives' home or renting month-to-month.

Packing up and leaving isn't as easy these days. To move, one needs a reliable car. Or have the money for a train or plane ticket. Then, when arriving at the new spot, finding a place to rent is more difficult. Don't have a job yet? Many landlords won't rent to you. So...next option --- a sleazy rent by the week hotel. That, of course, requires you to pay the first week in full. No credit card? You have to come up with the full amount in cash. These days, pounding the pavement probably won't get you a job in one day. It may take longer. Find a job? If it is minimum wage---good luck trying to save up for a decent rental.

Sitting in your ivory tower, you just don't get it.
I don't see that ivory tower you're talking about. People have migrated from the country to the city for at least a hundred years. That hasn't changed. It's easier for young people to relocate so they're usually the ones to go. The ones who go away to college from those areas, more often than not, relocate to new areas for job opportunities rather than coming home. You can't blame them for that.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I don't see that ivory tower you're talking about. People have migrated from the country to the city for at least a hundred years. That hasn't changed. It's easier for young people to relocate so they're usually the ones to go. The ones who go away to college from those areas, more often than not, relocate to new areas for job opportunities rather than coming home. You can't blame them for that.
No one can afford to relocate for a McJob.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I voted Democrat 99% of the time from 2003 until 2014. This election I voted Libertarian and only local Democrats. I don't even recognize the national Democrat Party anymore.

- Democrats used to vote against bad trade deals, now support free trade and say "who would want a factory job anyway?"
- Democrats used to be for diversity, now they are for segregation
Do you mind elaborating on the reasons why you 'don't even recognize the national Democratic party anymore?'

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Do you mind elaborating on the reasons why you 'don't even recognize the national Democratic party anymore?'

Thanks!
It's spelled out exactly in the OP.

I suggest you read it.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
You appear to miss the entire point.

The ones graduating from college, for the most part, have parental help when it comes to moving to new areas. My parents helped me out in that way. It's a rare college grad who can just graduate, then up and leave to go live in a new place without any financial help. Even if they have a job waiting in the new place, they will still need help with the security deposit and the first month's rent once there.

Someone who is older and lost their job when the major industry in town closed down is not in a position to up and move away. We're talking about the present here.

It was a lot easier in the past for people to move. That's a fact---and I'm not going to explain how it was done yet again. If you don't understand, then maybe you need to come down from your ivory tower, too.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 PM

9,077 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Much truth told in this article.

As for myself, I was a Democrat for many years. This past year I dropped my registration and went Independent. If I don't like a GOP candidate, I will vote for the Libertarian before I will vote for a Democrat.

I'm not alone and many of us were not surprised at all when Hillary lost the election.
Obama’s wins concealed the scale and scope of the disaster. Then the party woke up after Obama to realize that it had lost its old bases in the South and the Rust Belt. The left had hollowed it out and transformed it into a party of coastal urban elites, angry college crybullies and minority coalitions.
As Soros plowed more money into the left, its escalating radicalism alienated more of the country. Each “avalanche” was a reaction to the abuses of his radicals. It wasn't Trump or Cruz who suffered the consequences. It wasn't even his own leftists. Rather it was the conservative and eventually the moderate wings of the Democrat party who were swept away by his left-wing avalanches.
How George Soros Destroyed The Democratic Party
Do you think George Soros understands that elections have consequences?

Old 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Do you think George Soros understands that elections have consequences?
I'm sure he does. 100s of millions of reasons for him to understand that now.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's spelled out exactly in the OP.

I suggest you read it.
Thanks for the link -- good article.

You don't see the Democrats returning to power anytime soon? Why not?

I'm glad the Dems have been weakened but I'm not certain they'll be in this position for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies