Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 AM

39,332 posts, read 27,714,397 times

Advertisements

well, Why should Veterans have to go to a VA facility in order to get their care covered by the government? As long as the money follows the Veteran, there shouldn’t be an issue. This seems like an eminently sensible solution to both reducing waiting times and promoting Veterans’ health care.

The reason why VA exists in the first place is to ensure that the government is upholding its promise to the men and women who serve that if something happens to them in the course of their service, they will be taken care of. How well VA performs that duty is (and ought to be) subject to debate, of course, but the fact is that it’s there to serve that purpose.

The driving objective for policymakers ought to be how to improve the existing system and Veterans' access to it rather than how it might be rebuilt - and no doubt there's room for improvement on both points.

Doctors and hospitals should compete for veterans' businesses, but it is not the case right now.

Nobody is suggesting that the entire VA should be burned down, but elements of the VA system definitely be privatised. Combination of va and private care is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,304,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope. What they are protesting is the fact that privatization means the out of pocket costs to recipients will undoubtedly be more than most will be able to afford.
I think Trump is proposing that the VA will reimburse them for all costs. This of course means the taxpayers will pay for more government spending.

Why would a private company be willing to take on those expenditures?

"..The other issue with Trump's broad proposal is the price tag. According to the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, Trump's plan to reimburse vets for visits to any doctor they like would cost half a trillion dollars over 10 years..."

Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
The VA is a mess. I'm from a military family, and have first-hand experience here. Wait times for appointments are ridiculous, and when they finally DO happen, the VA manages to screw up paperwork with endless red tape. My dad still has one unresolved issue, and he's been back from Iraq for years now.

Anything that has the potential to help shouldn't be dismissed outright. As it is, my dad already has to have a combination of private and VA insurance. It's way more complicated than 'Trump hates vets' and "Stunning Betrayal". Please.
exactly. Agree with you 100%

Old 01-03-2017, 11:16 AM

5,079 posts, read 2,292,924 times
Can't seem to edit my previous post. Couple of link for you about the VA. Wait times are not getting any better, and there are over a million uninsured vets. Trump's plan may not work. It may be terrible. Then again, it may be an improvement. Heaven knows there's enough room here for things to get better.

VA bosses in 7 states falsified vets' wait times for care

1.8 Million Veterans Lack Health Coverage | Physicians for a National Health Program

Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,962,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
according to your article

Trump met with health care executives Wednesday to discuss the future of VA services, among other medical topics. That meeting included Cleveland Clinic CEO Toby Cosgrove, one of the front-runners for the top VA post.

He is the only one seems to care, these veterans should give him a chance before "protesting".
I FULLY support President Elect Trump on this issue!

It is painfully obvious the OP is not a veteran having never served in the military.

I have a 50% service connected disability, left over from the year I spent in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969, so allow me to give you my thoughts concerning this issue.

I very, very seldom go to the VA opting instead to go to my own doctors because I've always maintained good medical insurance. Even when I paid a deductible (I'm on Medicare now) I would opt to go private because of less red tape, wait and hassle.

Last time I went to the VA was to get a pair of free prescription glasses. That is about it and I really didn't need the glasses but I went just because they were free and stuff.

I think what Trump wants to do is dump the VA system completely (I cheer for this) opting instead to issue disabled veterans a medical card, something akin to a Medicare, so they can choose their own medical service of their choosing oftentimes closer to home.

There is really no reason to have the overly expensive and insanely bloated VA medical system that spends billions and is often abused.

I served 20 months (coming out of Vietnam I got an "early out" with credit for 24 months) and for this I am somehow entitled to free medical care the rest of my life? The only veterans that are entitled to free medical care should be, this is my opinion as a disabled veteran, those with service connected disabilities and there are so few of us why spend the money on a system when a VA Medical Card should take care of the problem?

Oh, and let me add that the OP does not speak for me. He needs to go back to is social justice warrior crowd.

Last edited by nicet4; 01-03-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 AM

35,780 posts, read 21,156,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24;46699436[B
]Cosgrove turned him down as did Luis Quinonez.[/b]

VA Sec Candidate Bows Out, As Trump Struggles To Fill Job | The Daily Caller

As with those suddenly fearful of losing their health insurance, I guess people really didn't pay attention to Trump's positions during the election.
There certainly isn't any point in veterans protesting this possible move, as Trump will show the same regard for their concerns now as he did for their group before the election, which is to say, none.

Be careful what you wish for folks.
ohh really? - I was too busy watching the new eagles hatch this weekend--

Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I FULLY support President Elect Trump on this issue!

It is painfully obvious the OP is not a veteran having never served in the military.

I have a 50% service connected disability, left over from the year I spent in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969, so allow me to give you my thoughts concerning this issue.

I very, very seldom go to the VA opting instead to go to my own doctors because I've always maintained good medical insurance. Even when I paid a deductible (I'm on Medicare now) I would opt to go private because of less red tape, wait and hassle.

Last time I went to the VA was to get a pair of free prescription glasses. That is about it and I really didn't need the glasses but I went just because they were free and stuff.

I think what Trump wants to do is dump the VA system completely (I cheer for this) opting instead to issue disabled veterans a medical card, something akin to a Medicare, so they can choose their own medical service of their choosing oftentimes closer to home.

There is really no reason to have the overly expensive and insanely bloated VA medical system that spends billions and is often abused.

I served 20 months (coming out of Vietnam I got an "early out" with credit for 24 months) and for this I am somehow entitled to free medical care the rest of my life? The only veterans that are entitled to free medical care should be, this is my opinion as a disabled veteran, those with service connected disabilities and there are so few of us why spend the money on a system when a VA Medical Card should take care of the problem?

Exactly! Bravo!!!!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:24 AM

14,887 posts, read 10,062,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I guess nothing is sacred( except Russia and Putin)

Trump considering plans for privatizing VA medical options
We fully support President Trump on this plan, your trolling is pathetic.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:26 AM

5,079 posts, read 2,292,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Part of my problem with this is that for the men and women signing up, these benefits were considered part of their 'pay'. If this should be changed, it needs to start with those who enlist now. We shouldn't change the rules on our vets now. Besides, my dad gave the Navy 26 years and was deployed twice. You shouldn't use your example of time served to determine who is deserving.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Like I said, they should give him a chance before protesting.

I have a feeling that they don't really know what Trump would do. They hear the word "privatizing" and they freak out. No need to.
My understanding is that
1) The veteran will have the choice to remain in the current VA healthcare system or
2) Opt out and go with private care.

It may be that the VA picks up 100% of the healthcare with medical companies that agree to work with the VA system. Since the government is 100% certain to pay their bills I think they may be able to offer services for less versus self pay of insurance companies that often leave many bills to go to collections thereby raising costs. Not saying it would be this way but potentially could. In my opinion I say give it a chance because the current VA system is broken for a large percentage of us veterans and that would give us the option to go elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies