Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

Brand New Whiny Celeb Video Tells Congress: #StandUpForUS

do you agree with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
I don't care what celebrities have to say but I do want to point out two things.

Sally Fields movies have made a lot of money and Margot Robbie is Australian so I'm not sure why she would be included here anyway.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Sounds like their agents need to send them a memo to inform them that.... they lost.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Hahahaha.

Is Martin Sheen in that one too?

Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Turnabout is fair play. For the past 8 years (and even before that) the GOP took great delight in blocking anything the other side tried to do........it was their hobby, their passion. Now, they are going to see that two can play this game. Problem is, this "game" only hurts us.

Personally, I would have a heart attack if I ever saw the two sides actually work on something together, for the betterment of Americans.......the Americans who gave them their jobs.

As for these celebrities, they have the ability to speak out, whereas we regular folks can only come on forums, like this one, and complain. How is their venting any different than what all of us do on CD ? The answer is, it isn't any different, they simply get their voices heard more than we do.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Turnabout is fair play. For the past 8 years (and even before that) the GOP took great delight in blocking anything the other side tried to do........it was their hobby, their passion. Now, they are going to see that two can play this game. Problem is, this "game" only hurts us.
Most good Presidents figure out how to work with the other side and compromise. Obama has never had this skill.
Trump is energetic, a negotiator and a leader. He'll work with the Dems or run over them to get what he wants.
Dems have about 28 Senate seats coming up in 2018. They will be concerned about losing many of these seats by being obstructionist.

Big difference in the skills of Trump and the lack of skill of Obama to get things done.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:06 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
I'm conflicted. On the one hand, obstructing Trump seems a fair payback and might be a necessary tactic to preserve the nation. On the other, letting Trump and the GOP have their way and gut the social programs that millions rely on and turn back the clock on "tolerance" might be just what we need to rid the country of this odd notion the the GOP is on the side of the middle class or that their policy objectives are aligned with majority wishes.

Then again, it remains to be seen if Trump is even remotely in step with the GOP's grand vision for America. To paraphrase Pelosi, we had to elect him to see what he was all about. If he acts like a progressive, then support him. If he bows down to Ryan and McConnell and the wingnuts then oppose him.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:10 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Personally, I would have a heart attack if I ever saw the two sides actually work on something together, for the betterment of Americans.......the Americans who gave them their jobs.

As for these celebrities, they have the ability to speak out, whereas we regular folks can only come on forums, like this one, and complain. How is their venting any different than what all of us do on CD ? The answer is, it isn't any different, they simply get their voices heard more than we do.
Hillary was confirmed in a 94-2 vote and Kerry was confirmed in a 94-3 vote. Which Obama cabinet nominee did the Republicans block? I believe that would be none. If you're referring to not confirming Obama's latest Supreme Court nominee, the Dems started that strategy of blocking SC nominees and the Republicans in this case handled that brilliantly.

For the record, I expect the opposing party to block and challenge anything controversial to their base.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:18 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
There should be a propaganda tax on Hollywood productions and celebrities of 70 %.

Liberals love to raise taxes so they should support this idea. The tax should be earmarked for the free college education that the Gov. of NY is proposing and get it off the back of the middleclass. They call it free because those that get it don't pay for it. The cost is put on the backs of the general public.

Last edited by phma; 01-04-2017 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,859 times
Did they not get the message on Nov 8th?
No one cares what they have to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies