Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Nuclear option for Supreme Court pick... go ahead Schumer try to obstruct, I dare you... Democrats threw civility out the window... it's payback x10 time...
I agree. I'd love to get judges in the mold of Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito (they are my two favorite justices) approved by majority vote. Senate Dems opened the door by gutting the filibuster for most nominations, so they can't legitimately cry foul when the GOP goes all the way nuclear. They foolishly thought that the White House was lost to the GOP for a generation due to their racist identity politics put into action. Little did they realize that Obama's personal popularity wouldn't carry the party at the end of the day.

By the way, here's a Chuck "the Clown" Schumer (gotta love these Trump nicknames) quote from July 2007, a full 19 months before GWB was to leave office:

Quote:
"We should not confirm any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court, except in extraordinary circumstances," Schumer, a New York Democrat, said in prepared remarks to the American Constitution Society, a liberal legal organization.
Source: Schumer in 2007: Don't confirm any Bush Supreme Court nominee | Washington Examiner

Give me a break, Dems. Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:33 PM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't believe any of the lies, I believe common sense and the truth about Hillary Clinton which is plenty enough to never vote for her for anything.

Yes, it's heading to Donald Trump being inaugurated on Jan 20th 2017. Bigly.
You don't believe in truth, if you did you would be interested in organized hearings and vetting of the cabinet nominees. Better to have everyone just roll over and approve whoever Trump approves, have 10 nominees, votes on the floor of the senate and Trumps first press conference all in one day. Quite obvious that he doesn't want any serious questioning of his stellar candidates.

There will still be confirmation votes with or without serious vetting so you are getting a bit ahead of yourself with your "steam rolling" or maybe you missed that part of the process.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Nuclear option for Supreme Court pick... go ahead Schumer try to obstruct, I dare you... Democrats threw civility out the window... it's payback x10 time...
Yet another shill that forgot what happened last year.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Oh please. The congressional GOP showed the left the blueprint for obstruction.

After blocking everything and anything and ignoring a SCOTUS nominee for one year, they should expect a bumpy ride. Bigly.
Hardly when it comes to the Supreme Court. Republicans only need a simple majority to confirm a nominee. Dems have found themselves helpless in stopping anyone from being confirmed without Republican support. Gosh, how does that feel?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Hardly when it comes to the Supreme Court. Republicans only need a simple majority to confirm a nominee. Dems have found themselves helpless in stopping anyone without Republican support. Gosh, how does that feel?
You are right the democrats won't filibuster any nominations, they are helpless

Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,608,564 times
Good for Mitch McConnell! I'm sure Democrats would like a slow confirmation hearing process to drag these people through the mud, especially Sessions and Tillerson.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Oh, they can filibuster. But obstruction will only be met with the full nuclear option

Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Dems have to worry about the 28 Senate seats coming up in 2018. Many of their states went to Trump.

They will get in line or be voted out of office.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
7 of Obama's Cabinet appointees were confirmed by Voice Vote on January 20, 2009 - 5 more the following week. It's not a matter of "ignoring the Minority Party" .... this is typically the way the nominations are handled and CERTAINLY the way they were handled for Obama.

Schumer the Clown want's to "change" the way it's always been done in the past ..... probably not going to. happen. He will just have to suck it up. Schumer is acting like he is in a contest with Harry Reid to see who can be the biggest Jerk. Reid will win that contest ... ever noticed how Schumer gives his speeches?
Head Down - he can't even face the camera with these ridiculous edicts and announcements.

Schumer: Dems Will Work With Trump Only ‘If He Moves Completely In Our Direction’ [CNN VIDEO]

Has anyone ever heard such a thing? No wonder they are calling him a "clown".

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Democrats would work with President-elect Donald Trump only if he “moves completely in our direction and abandons his Republican colleagues.”
No it's not typical for controversial candidates, can you name the offices for the 7 nominees approved by voice vote, DOJ, SOS??

Old 01-05-2017, 07:48 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
You don't believe in truth, if you did you would be interested in organized hearings and vetting of the cabinet nominees. Better to have everyone just roll over and approve whoever Trump approves, have 10 nominees, votes on the floor of the senate and Trumps first press conference all in one day. Quite obvious that he doesn't want any serious questioning of his stellar candidates.

There will still be confirmation votes with or without serious vetting so you are getting a bit ahead of yourself with your "steam rolling" or maybe you missed that part of the process.
I believe in destroying liberal democrats in any/every way possible. I believe in kicking democrats while they're still down and out, mocking them while they cry and making sure that it's more difficult than they ever imagined to regain so much as the power to unlock a F'n bathroom in Washington DC without a Republican loaning them a key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies