Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,831,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Exactly.
Some of my earliest socio/political memories as a young child in the '70s was listening to the older generations complaining about how horrible the Baby Boomers were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,300,761 times
I thought this was a great video:

2017 New Year's Resolutions for Millennials

Old 01-07-2017, 04:24 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,413,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
And I wonder what the generation of WWII vets and those who lived through The Great Depression were saying about the generation that gave us things like of Woodstock, Hippies, and spitting on veterans.

It's amazing you can criticize a generation that hasn't even had the opportunity yet to get into public office, run companies, or has even been able to buy a house yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The same thing those people are now saying about the millenials.
And the same thing parents of those coming of age in the 20s said about them.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:28 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,536,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Simon Sinek to tour Australia and New Zealand after millennial video goes viral | Daily Mail Online

Wonder why this is? I've said this for years. Life kicks then right in the rear and they collapse in a pile of rubble. Safe rooms, playdough, doggies and kittens. Look at this site they got rid of the sarcasm emoji 😂
Inevitably, you will be counting on those kids you disparage to keep you alive in your old age.

Better pray they don't remember the things you said now; you could regret them later.

I'm 72, and there was a time when my generation was thought to be exactly the same.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,300,761 times
Tough times produce strong people; strong people create good times; good times breed produce weak people; weak people create tough times...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-08-2017 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 958,193 times
Did anyone actually watch the whole video? I know it is long, but I think he makes some good points about societal values and the place of work in our lives. Taken out of context, some of what he says definitely comes off as millennial bashing, but that isn't the point he's making. He's addressing the old coots who complain about lazy millennials in the work place and saying 'stop your complaining and figure out what changes you can make to work more effectively with millennials."

Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,413,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Did anyone actually watch the whole video? I know it is long, but I think he makes some good points about societal values and the place of work in our lives. Taken out of context, some of what he says definitely comes off as millennial bashing, but that isn't the point he's making. He's addressing the old coots who complain about lazy millennials in the work place and saying 'stop your complaining and figure out what changes you can make to work more effectively with millennials."
The issue I see with this video, and others like it, is the complete ignorance of what Millenials do well. They are innovative and hard working. They tend to be better with their finances, take more chances and fare better with their quality of life.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:35 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,936,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

- Socrates about the millenials 2500 years ago.
No one knows if Socrates actually wrote this given none of his original work survived.

Nonetheless, older generations have been complaining about the younger generation since forever. Nowdays some mNage to earn a living doing so.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 958,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The issue I see with this video, and others like it, is the complete ignorance of what Millenials do well. They are innovative and hard working. They tend to be better with their finances, take more chances and fare better with their quality of life.
I'm not sure the speaker would disagree with you. Personally. I don't. I work with a lot of millennials, and by and large they are great. My only beef is that they sometimes assume us gen xers on the team as old and seem surprised when we are up on technology and have innovative ideas, too. Surprising them can be really fun, though, and we did the same to boomers when we were new in the workforce ,

Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,793,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Funny how the generation that gave us the Iraq war, deregulation of Wall Street, huge tax breaks for the donor class and a massive bailout of Wall Street is praised in glowing terms while the generation that has to pay for all of this drunk partying is ridiculed and mocked.

Something isnt right here.
Yeah. They also did a very poor job in raising their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies