Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,109,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Obviously dunno about his original intent on running but I raised it as something other than mere gossip. Like most of us, I have no doubt that Trump's a complex creature - but even though he's spoken out about some issues over the years he's largely a political unknown. My guess is that having entered (for whatever reason) some of his passion and drive on the campaign trail DID, in fact, come from him not "being the type of man" to lose and less about unbending commitment.

That's not to say that having found himself President he won't try in some fashion to "make America great again." He IS genuine there, for whatever that's worth. But early on, I took a look at Trump's website and was a tad shocked at how little of substance was there. Not to fault him necessarily - he did not initially fund a professional campaign, had minimal history of work with outside so-called experts over the years to hone his views.

So here's this 70 yo man, not terribly ideological (driven by immovable inner convictions), no experience with the give and take of politics but who instead worked in an industry where there are "winners" and "losers" (the deal or not), who isn't particularly reflective but instead is demonstrably reactive. How's he going to cope? My personal fear is that well-meaning as he may be is that he could well be co-opted by political interests with an end game that NEITHER the so-called Left or diehard Trump supporters would favor.
That is always the fear with every politician.

My personal view is that you can tell a lot about a candidate by who doesn't back them. The establishment, and the donor class that normally back both candidates vehemently opposed Trump. That is a good sign, a very good sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 01:46 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Well, yes, the guy is not stupid and he DID seem a little shell-shocked the day after the election. (Even a very pro-Trump relative accepts the view that Trump initially ran for his name-brand never expecting to actually win.) But he did win, he is President, and the best outcome comes from not poking at his weak points. This is an entirely utilitarian, even self-serving point of view - absolutely. Trump is very much a work in progress politically (not so much emotionally for personality characteristics are pretty fixed by his age).
I disagree, the only way for weak points (and everyone has some) to ever get addressed and made stronger is for their existence to first be acknowledged.

Quote:
Some individuals handle criticism well. Hillary Clinton had a remarkable ability to keep functioning under enormous pressure; her husband not so much (during the Lewinsky scandal).
And for those who don't, politics is most certainly not a wise career choice. Mr. Trump compounds his problem by having no qualms about criticizing anyone he chooses to. Harry Truman offered wise advice about the kitchen and heat, Trump will apparently have to learn the hard way and will likely burn himself along the way.

He's way past old enough to have learned if you want to play with the big boys you're gonna have to put on your big boy pants. Otherwise he should've stayed on the porch.

Last edited by burdell; 01-08-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
That is always the fear with every politician.

My personal view is that you can tell a lot about a candidate by who doesn't back them. The establishment, and the donor class that normally back both candidates vehemently opposed Trump. That is a good sign, a very good sign.
Is choosing his cabinet from the establishment and donor class also a "good sign"?

Old 01-08-2017, 02:16 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,181,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
PS: if I have to read much more about "statists who call themselves liberals but really are authoritarians..." I might have to turn toward drinking. Give it a rest already!
Bottoms up!

I'm not going to give it a rest because it's true.

That's how one angers a "liberal", tell them the truth.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Someone in another thread explained that "now it is up to all of us to grow up and get behind Trump."

I find it difficult to agree with this and tried to explain by way of one easy example. Say for example that Trump is pro-life and others are pro-choice. How can anyone expect anyone to "grow up" and change their views or differences about social, economic and/or political issues just because Trump was elected POTUS? Did the Tea Party types "grow up" when Obama was elected? No, not in the least...

Should people "grow up" and get behind Trump? I don't think so if we're talking about politics rather than who might be quarterback of a football team...

I read this article just this morning as well, suggesting pretty much the opposite of "growing up" if growing up means to fall in line.

"As a congressional staffer, Sarah Dohl saw Tea Partiers disrupt and dominate politics. Now she wants progressives to learn from the conservative movement..."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-party-tactics

What's a good American to do?
I find many people conflate maturity with agreeing with the establishment. Its basically a grown up version of "listen to your elders" mindset.

Of course, I find this philosophy to be absolute hogwash and symptomatic of a mind that can't or won't think for itself.

To those who say grow up and accept X, I say I'm well enough mature to use my experience, knowledge and curiosity to come to my own conclusions.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
just because you disagree with someone politically doesnt you have to hate them.
Oh I hate Donald Trump for many things outside of his politics. People I disagree with politically but wouldn't mind buying a beer for and chatting with: John McCain, George W. Bush and Mitt Romney. I couldn't be more diametrically opposed to those three but I don't hate them.

Donald Trump? He's a sleaze bag, lying, conniving, predatory con man who disrespects women. I don't care if Donald Trump was a cashier in a store or the president of this country. I'd hate the man for who he is, not what his political leanings happen to be.

Last edited by Magritte25; 01-08-2017 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh I hate Donald Trump for many things outside of his politics. People I disagree with politically but wouldn't mind buying a beer for and chatting: John McCain, George W. Bush and Mitt Romney. I couldn't be more diametrically opposed to those three but I don't hate them.

Donald Trump? He's a sleaze bag, lying, conniving, predatory con man who disrespects women. I don't care if Donald Trump was a cashier in a store or the president of this country. I'd hate the man for who he is, not what his political leanings happen to be.
Just a little thing I believe we all learn sooner or later, hating someone only saps energy from the hater and has absolutely no affect on the hated. Life is too short and hating's not worth the energy it takes.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just a little thing I believe we all learn sooner or later, hating someone only saps energy from the hater and has absolutely no affect on the hated. Life is too short and hating's not worth the energy it takes.
Thank you for your input. There are very few people that I hate but Trump is one of them. I won't apologize for it.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:41 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,109,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Is choosing his cabinet from the establishment and donor class also a "good sign"?
These people seem to be mavericks like Trump.

We'll see.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,776,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

also dont hate someone just because you read a news article about them, especially when every article written about trump during the election was;

1: a hit piece on trump because the media was all in for hillary

2: every article was a campaign ad for hillary
The media was not pro-Hillary, but it was anti-Trump. The two are not the same and that is a fact that many Trump posters here confuse. There are many Republicans that do not trust Trump and feel that he is not suitable for POTUS, so don't think that because someone here criticizes Trump that that person is pro-Hillary, or even voted for Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies