Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
McCain has been playing a politically dangerous game, from the beginning, because he is visibly combative with a president elect who is popular with the base of his party.

In my view, even if ensconced in a politically privileged and protected position as McCain is, he should feel at least a small sense of obligation to not undermine such a popular president elect of his own party. In my opinion. The people do not want to see a man like McCain being given undue leeway because he is politically untouchable even outside of the base's political will, and they don't want to see him undermining the party even if he can technically get away with it.
No doubt because Trump did what McCain failed to do. Win the Presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I hear you, and fair point, but it would also be fair to note that the media and his opponents tried to dial it up another notch every time that he put them in their place: to include this recent outrageously over the top scandal that comes after they got put in their place with the election loss.

I would theoretically be for a calmer, more reasoned political climate but not at the cost of bowing to the establishment's insistence on acquiescence to their demands or their shaming tactics. It takes two to tone it down and, the man being the election winner, it is now up to the other side to tone down their aggressiveness in my opinion.

McCain has been playing a politically dangerous game, from the beginning, because he is visibly combative with a president elect who is popular with the base of his party.

In my view, even if ensconced in a politically privileged and protected position as McCain is, he should feel at least a small sense of obligation to not undermine such a popular president elect of his own party. In my opinion. The people do not want to see a man like McCain being given undue leeway because he is politically untouchable even outside of the base's political will, and they don't want to see him undermining the party even if he can technically get away with it.
So you believe that McCain who had information provided to him on items that could compromise our President should have ditched it in the trunk of his car and shrugged it off? That's a tough position to be in and anyone who holds security clearances or takes an oath for federal services is trained to always report, even if you're unsure. *Anything* that could potentially be a national security issue should be reported so it can be investigated. It's an uncomfortable thing to do and even at my low, non political levels at work, we have to report things we are unsure of.

I think he would have been derelict in duty not to turn over what he had. The public also has a right to know that there's an issue. The press, warts and all, is important to our form of government to show transparency where politicians would normal want to cloak things. I realize there is a FAKE news problem going one, a problem gleefully embraced by Donald Trump BTW. But that doesn't mean you turn a blind eye to allegations. Let it be investigated and if it's all a lie, then the liars will pay.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
This was the lead story on the 10 o'clock news on ITV, one of the main UK networks.

What an embarrassment this man is.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The people here condemning the speculation are the same people who went into paroxysms of joy when James Comey announced the FBI were looking into more Hillary emails found, even though they had no idea how many, what was in them, whether they were relevant, or whether they even had anything much to do with Hillary at all. There were pages and pages of baseless theories and conjecture. Nothing stopped you all from doing so. It's a discussion forum, after all.

John McCain did give a dossier to the FBI. He just said so on TV. Trump and Obama were briefed. The FBI and CIA are looking into it.

So the story itself is not fake news. There are many facets that need verifying. But discussing it and evolving with info as it becomes available is what we do here.

It's what we ALL do here, in this glass house, and you all have a fistful of rocks.
Lame.

In the case of HRC there were actual emails . HRC did actually delete them. The deleted emails were actually found in the context of an actual crime involving the husband of HRC's closest aide.

It was not wild speculation out of nowhere. People may have put the cart before the horse, but to compare these two events is pretty absurd.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I would suggest it's the American left-leaning press that needs to spend some time on introspection. This corruption of the media being the handmaiden of the democratic party has been a constant since at least the 1960s. It's distorting our politics on a dangerous level.
What we are experiencing is a total clash in styles - between the admittedly liberal-leaning MSM and the proliferation of "news" by other outlets, certainly including talk radio and now internet sites. The news is fashioned variously according to the intended listener. Even any one outlet, say CNN, will modulate how it shapes content depending on whether it will be shown on a nightly news show by a well-known host or simply put up on the web.

In the end, so much is ratings-driven. News for profit. And make no mistake, even though someone like Hannity tries to give himself a pass from any responsibility for even making an attempt to hone to "facts" by saying he is not a "reporter" but an "entertainment host" ... well, the distinction is lost on many.

I agree with you that politics is becoming distorted to a dangerous level. That's very well said. And in that process, we are loosing our grip on the "factual." What's the new term? We now have belief-driven reality. It's dangerous and, yes, I see Trump as a master of this style of politics. That's not to say that some of his positions don't have merit and that as President I sure hope he succeeds - or at least doesn't bomb so badly that national security isn't compromised (p*ssing match with N. Korea) or the economic melt down (trade war).

Some of this brouhaha may well be connected to or a natural outgrowth of the famous Trump rhetoric. By way of contrast, Obama bore NO responsibility for the birther controversy. Not his fault he was born in Hawaii.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
The video of Trump urinating on Russian hookers or vice versa could get released today and people would be:

"oh that was before he was born again"

"Didn't happen! Fake news!"

"We knew a long time ago he was like this, shouldn't surprise anyone and <bill clinton comment> doesn't prevent him for being a president"

If it was Hillary instead the comment would be completely different as well. Until people get over the (r) or the (d) next to politician's names we will be stuck in this bull crap
Is that what he means by trickle down?

Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Lame.

In the case of HRC there were actual emails . HRC did actually delete them. The deleted emails were actually found in the context of an actual crime involving the husband of HRC's closest aide.

It was not wild speculation out of nowhere. People may have put the cart before the horse, but to compare these two events is pretty absurd.
No, that's not what happened. The Hillary/Email scandal had already been vetted and exposed and determined what was what. When the Weiner computer was seized, there were emails from Clinton and Abedin on them. Comey jumped to a conclusion that THESE emails might be new and different and might be the "gotcha" emails that would really do her in. But when he made that assertion, that there was *something*, he knew *nothing." And a week later, we found out that the emails on Wiener's computer were just duplicates of the previous investigation. He could have waited until he knew for sure. But he felt everyone should know.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
This isn't new news. It's likely the biggest reason he hasn't released his taxes. Many of his projects recently would be underwater financially if it wasn't for strong support from Russians.

It's malicious fake news and about the most poorly written story I have ever read.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him - CNNPolitics.com

The Intelligence community is saying the Russians have compromising docs on Trump of a personal and financial nature.

If true, what do you think this means going forward?

No, they are not saying that.

The made up story is.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Why is it that lefties eat up lies all day long but constantly argue about the truth?

To create a fake world in which to live in in my estimation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies