Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

It's not unusual for a government project, but this one is huge; over budget and behind schedule.
---------------
Just days after California Gov. Jerry Brown warned that the state was slipping back into deficit spending ($1.6 billion by next summer), the Los Angeles Times got its hands on a confidential internal report from the Federal Railroad Administration that points the fingers right back at the governor when it comes to wasteful spending.

Even the feds believe the state is drastically understating the costs of it's massive high-speed rail project, approved by voters years ago but with only a small portion of the project funded. Just the first leg of the $70 billion project could cost billions more than budgeted, $10 billion instead of $6.4 billion. And the project is already way behind schedule. The report predicts the first stretch of track (in the center of the state) won't be completed until 2024, seven years behind schedule.

Even the Feds are Warning that California's Bullet Train Is a Disaster in the Making - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 03:34 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Wonder how much money from the Feds will be headed to fund Governor Moonbeam's pet project.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Trump likes high speed rail - wants to pump more $ into more infastructure projects.

... and with Trump loving eminent domain it will be easier to grab the farm land, and at better 'deal', and get this project back on track - on budget and on schedule.

Donald Trump Agrees With Democrats on High-Speed Trains

Old 01-16-2017, 03:40 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump likes high speed rail - wants to pump more $ into more infastructure projects.
Donald Trump Agrees With Democrats on High-Speed Trains
Indeed. There are high speed projects all over the USA. The one in California however is a mess.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Why not high speed rail? look at the success that is AMTRAK

Old 01-16-2017, 03:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
So rail is bad? A lot of Republicans have been wanting a Gulf Coast rail from New Orleans to Orlando, saying it would bring tourism all along there through Mississippi. Alabama wants rail service in four of their cities too.

Mobile Is One Step Closer To Having Passenger Train Operation

Amtrak passenger service on track for rail service across Gulf Coast from New Orleans to Orlando | Business | theadvocate.com

Old 01-16-2017, 03:45 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not unusual for a government project, but this one is huge; over budget and behind schedule.
---------------
Just days after California Gov. Jerry Brown warned that the state was slipping back into deficit spending ($1.6 billion by next summer), the Los Angeles Times got its hands on a confidential internal report from the Federal Railroad Administration that points the fingers right back at the governor when it comes to wasteful spending.

Even the feds believe the state is drastically understating the costs of it's massive high-speed rail project, approved by voters years ago but with only a small portion of the project funded. Just the first leg of the $70 billion project could cost billions more than budgeted, $10 billion instead of $6.4 billion. And the project is already way behind schedule. The report predicts the first stretch of track (in the center of the state) won't be completed until 2024, seven years behind schedule.

Even the Feds are Warning that California's Bullet Train Is a Disaster in the Making - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reminds me of the "Big dig".

Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM

979 posts, read 491,154 times
The one in California might be a political mess due to the route it is trying to do, which does seem odd. I am all for getting high speed rail in the Northwest and can already see the benefits to it along the I-5 corridor. If this is something Trump is in favor of, then this might be one of the only things I would like him for.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
The one in California might be a political mess due to the route it is trying to do, which does seem odd. I am all for getting high speed rail in the Northwest and can already see the benefits to it along the I-5 corridor. If this is something Trump is in favor of, then this might be one of the only things I would like him for.
I would like rail across the entire country as well as the PNW. I would much rather travel looking out the window at the beauty of the country than above. I'm just curious if Trump supporters are against all rail or just rail in blue states. Because the South seems to really want rail there badly.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:13 PM

979 posts, read 491,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would like rail across the entire country as well as the PNW. I would much rather travel looking out the window at the beauty of the country than above. I'm just curious if Trump supporters are against all rail or just rail in blue states. Because the South seems to really want rail there badly.
That is probably be because they are finally learning that expanding highways systems doesn't actually solve anything, and it is becoming harder and harder to take away people's land for these highways.

Texas is one of those states that high speed rail and intercity rail would make a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies