Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:33 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,654,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Couldn't rep you again, but you got it! Yes, eliminate the middleman because that is where the bulk of money is going!!! Ah, but, that middleman is filling the politicians pockets with cash in order to remain in the middle.

I also support UHC.
Exactly. The insurance industry is a big scam. I recently has an endoscopy and a colonoscopy at an outpatient surgery center. The bill was over $11,000. Anthem discounted it by $10,000 - they paid $930 and I paid $70. Something is so wrong with this system. Imagine what it's like for people with no insurance!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,776,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Prices are too high due to limited number of providers, the gate keepers, the bean counters and the now electronic paperwork. Lawyers need to be sent to the bottom of the ocean too.
Bunk. Prices are too high because of all of us - you, me, and everyone who gorges at the healthcare trough of all you can eat medical stuff. Americans expect to get, for free, new hips, knees and elbows when they are 75 and aren't gonna play another game of tennis. They expect to eat crappy their whole lives and get a free triple bypass surgery when their heart gives out. They expect better sex lives. Bigger boobs. They believe all the ads on TV for every new drug and harangue their docs to write scripts for it.

The medical-industrial complex is not stupid - they know that Americans demand unlimited access to this stuff and demand that insurance pays for all of it and that insurance gives it all to them. So the medical industry creates more crap to sell us, we fall in line and buy that crap, and insurance spreads the cost around to all of us. It is a monster out of control, but it is a monster of our own creation.

If you're gonna point fingers, better point at yourself first. We created this mess, the medical industry is just delivering what we demand.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Very simple - make Medicare available to everyone. It does not kick people off for pre-existing conditions and won't kick you off if they don't feel like insuring you any more. Only way to get kicked off is by not paying them.
Thank you! Single payer system is the way to go. If you need a supplement then you can pay for it. This is what Obama wanted in the first place but republicans rejected it

Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,833,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Exactly. The insurance industry is a big scam. I recently has an endoscopy and a colonoscopy at an outpatient surgery center. The bill was over $11,000. Anthem discounted it by $10,000 - they paid $930 and I paid $70. Something is so wrong with this system. Imagine what it's like for people with no insurance!
That is from the government mandating a person/company provide a service to someone when that person has no ability to pay for said service.

Not to mention when government underfunds hospitals through Medicare causing hospitals to overshadow everyone else.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's hard to say. I think first I'd like to figure out what "pre-existing condition" is really going to mean.

Pre-ACA, I know that insurers were starting to deny insuring children with asthma, adults with chronic lung disorders such as COPD, basically anything.

I'm not sure how we can have a system that does not insure people with conditions. I realize they are a drain on the insurance. I have an adult son with asthma and it's not a cheap disease if you properly treat it.

I'm wondering how it would work if all people are insured but those that have health risks/risky behavior/chronic health issues pay a higher premium than those with nothing. Somewhat like drivers who have had previous history. They MUST be insured and insurance is provided but at a higher rate.
That's how it was. Things like "pregnancy" were a,so pre-existing conditions. So you could be denied or have huge out of pocket fees. In my 20s I was quoted $600/mo, cheapest plan, for just myself due to my ore-existing conditions of being overweight ans having anemia.

I luckily got a job and didn't need to worry. The anemia was caused by hypothyroidism. Now I have another pre-existing condition. My 30-something sibling is a type 1 diabetic and no longer has a pancreas due to a serious tumor. What happens if she has no job? She is insulin dependent since she doesn't have a pancreas to creat insulin. What happens now? I don't know but I am really worries. The list price for her medicines are very expensive. And insurance companies do not have compassion so they need regulation to make up for it. I am sure my friends that have fibroids will also have a pre-existing condition that can be used as an excuse to double, triple or quadruple their rates.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,776,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
To be accurate the "scam" is not an insurance scam but a provider rip-off. The insurance company just negotiated a better deal for you which you should be glad of. The rip off is that the provider can discriminate and charge more to people with no insurance. WTF? The ones being scammed here are the ones without insurance, which isn't right.

IMO, healthcare providers need to pick a price they are going to charge and once chosen, that is the price everyone pays, insured or not. And they must publish their prices so we the consumer can know what it will cost us. Eliminate insurance negotiated rates and let free-market choice be used for consumers to pick the provider they want to go to based on published price. That will lower costs.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,177,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Do you work for an insurance company? What good is insurance if you cannot use it?

We do NOT need INSURANCE. What we need is HEALTHCARE.

Prices are too high due to limited number of providers, the gate keepers, the bean counters and the now electronic paperwork. Lawyers need to be sent to the bottom of the ocean too.

It's cheaper to travel to Mexico 3-4 times times a year for leisure and physical examination, diabetes management, etc.

So, what you do is build 100 teaching hospitals and 100 medical, physician's assistant, nurse practitioners, nursing and ancillary schools attached to the hospitals. Build two hospitals w/schools per state. Turn them over to the states. Give them some grant money if necessary. These facilities can serve lower income folks and veterans as well. Their primary mission is to INCREASE the number of providers.

These facilities can sell plans that provide preventive care, urgent care visits and hospitalization plans. People can buy what they want.

This will increase the access to physicians and you will get more than 10 minutes with a doctor who speaks flawless English and who will be competent with our culture (i.e. Some docs treat women like crap because in their country goats are worth more than women).

It's a matter of supply and demand. The less doctors we have, the higher their prices. Currently, that's how doctors like it. Imagine that.

If you increase the number of providers, get rid of health insurance companies, buy medications in bulk and rein in the lawyers, costs will go down

All the HSA's in the world won't bring costs down.
THIS ^^^ Needs to be stated over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
. The (D)'s did not have to do this. They did NOT have to make it illegal to negotiate with drug companies other than to appease themselves. We see why in the Booker thread. The GOP is not defendable in any of this. There isn't a one I would vote for under any circumstance right now. That does not excuse the (D)'s for doing the wrong thing.

I certainly wouldn't vote for more of it with Hillary. The country could have done the right thing and elected Sanders.
Why is it always that people can't remember facts from just 10 years ago... It was bush and the R's that created the no negotiation rules.

Uncle Sam barred from bargaining Medicare drug prices, Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin says, blaming rival Tommy Thompson | PolitiFact Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy01 View Post
Why should I be forced to pay a higher rate simply because I have a chronic illness? I didn't ask for it, I did nothing to deserve it, Rheumatoid Disease does not care if you are rich or poor.
If I can't get at least Medicaid I will die a very painful death when the RD slowly starts attacking my muscles, organs, all the ligaments,and soft tissues,and if you don't believe me, google Death by Rheumatoid Arthritis. It happens.
One of the problems with many here is that they believe that people who were unlucky in the birth pool do not deserve the benefits that should be available to all - equally.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 01-13-2017 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 11:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,782,249 times
Continuous coverage.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:19 PM

70 posts, read 76,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's hard to say. I think first I'd like to figure out what "pre-existing condition" is really going to mean.
Pre-ACA, I know that insurers were starting to deny insuring children with asthma, adults with chronic lung disorders such as COPD, basically anything.

I'm not sure how we can have a system that does not insure people with conditions. I realize they are a drain on the insurance. I have an adult son with asthma and it's not a cheap disease if you properly treat it.

I'm wondering how it would work if all people are insured but those that have health risks/risky behavior/chronic health issues pay a higher premium than those with nothing. Somewhat like drivers who have had previous history. They MUST be insured and insurance is provided but at a higher rate.
Why should I be forced to pay a higher rate simply because I have a chronic illness? I didn't ask for it, I did nothing to deserve it, Rheumatoid Disease does not care if you are rich or poor.
If I can't get at least Medicaid I will die a very painful death when the RD slowly starts attacking my muscles, organs, all the ligaments,and soft tissues,and if you don't believe me, google Death by Rheumatoid Arthritis. It happens.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You aren't a straight up mainstream liberal. Why do you have a case of the obtuses?
I don't expect to get much in gains in health care under Trump (I hope he really surprises me though and will give him credit if he does) so I will take what we can get and not expect perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies