Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times

Advertisements

Lots of health industry talk lately.Some say free market/capitalism is the way for best health care.Unfortunately for some no insurance wants their money or to compete for customers.

Read my reply here and then discuss your viewpoint.What should happen to those that can't get insurance or insurance that covers what they need covered?

//www.city-data.com/forum/10103989-post172.html

Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks
One of the main problems facing the American Health System is the obesity, laziness, hypochondria and unrealistic expectations of Americans themselves.

I can't begin to say how many morbidly obese people I've known over the years, who have diabetes. They eat like pigs, never exercise, take insulin like it's some magic elixir, and constantly complain about their health. It's ridiculous.

It is no surprise when a morbidly obese diabetic has gangrenous tumors on his/her feet. It is both to be expected, and often avoidable.

Most of the routine, and insanely expensive, health care problems of Americans would go away if we simply lived healthier lifestyles.

So when you see some giant cow grazing away at the Golden Corral Buffet, you can thank THAT person for your run-away health insurance premiums.

lionking replied

I am a fair skinned blued eyed white boy.6 or 7 years ago I had a melonoma mole removed.Cut off end of story.After I sold my house and moved I tried to COBRA my insurance but since I moved out of the tri-county area I wasn't eligable for it plus the payments would have been insane for it anyway.

So while in between jobs I shopped for insurance,15 maybe 17 of them one after another once I mentioned I had a melonoma in the past all said denied denied denied.Nobody was interested in my money,they all said come back in 5 years if you are still melonoma free.I did finally get some crappy catastrophic insurance that covered accidents and stuff but not any pre existing conditions.

Now I am working again,after 6 months with the company I have group coverage again although I see a trend of even group coverage being higher payments,higher deductables and even group plans that won't cover some pre existing conditions.

Besides skin cancer history (a cancer that is almost always curable) recently my doc did a physical and said my blood,blood pressure and cholesterol is normal.I am over all a normal person.Yet insurance companies have laws set to where they don't have to compete,and deny anybody on a whim.Now with my current insurance and company I recently had a basal cell skin cancer removed,my insurance covered part of it.But if I were to loose my job which means loosing all insurance do you think I would get any insurance from anybody eben though I am willing to pay for it?NO I wouldn't nobody wants me.So what do we do with people no insurance company wants?

So what should we do about that,you say people are lazy and fat,maybe if all people made were dark skinned and brown eyed and stayed out of the sun we wouldn't have to deal with those leecherous fair skinned people eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Lots of health industry talk lately.Some say free market/capitalism is the way for best health care.Unfortunately for some no insurance wants their money or to compete for customers.

Read my reply here and then discuss your viewpoint.What should happen to those that can't get insurance or insurance that covers what they need covered?

One of the main problems facing the American Health System is the obesity, laziness, hypochondria and unrealistic expectations of Americans themselves.

I can't begin to say how many morbidly obese people I've known over the years, who have diabetes. They eat like pigs, never exercise, take insulin like it's some magic elixir, and constantly complain about their health. It's ridiculous.

It is no surprise when a morbidly obese diabetic has gangrenous tumors on his/her feet. It is both to be expected, and often avoidable.

Most of the routine, and insanely expensive, health care problems of Americans would go away if we simply lived healthier lifestyles.

So when you see some giant cow grazing away at the Golden Corral Buffet, you can thank THAT person for your run-away health insurance premiums.

lionking replied

I am a fair skinned blued eyed white boy.6 or 7 years ago I had a melonoma mole removed.Cut off end of story.After I sold my house and moved I tried to COBRA my insurance but since I moved out of the tri-county area I wasn't eligable for it plus the payments would have been insane for it anyway.

So while in between jobs I shopped for insurance,15 maybe 17 of them one after another once I mentioned I had a melonoma in the past all said denied denied denied.Nobody was interested in my money,they all said come back in 5 years if you are still melonoma free.I did finally get some crappy catastrophic insurance that covered accidents and stuff but not any pre existing conditions.

Now I am working again,after 6 months with the company I have group coverage again although I see a trend of even group coverage being higher payments,higher deductables and even group plans that won't cover some pre existing conditions.

Besides skin cancer history (a cancer that is almost always curable) recently my doc did a physical and said my blood,blood pressure and cholesterol is normal.I am over all a normal person.Yet insurance companies have laws set to where they don't have to compete,and deny anybody on a whim.Now with my current insurance and company I recently had a basal cell skin cancer removed,my insurance covered part of it.But if I were to loose my job which means loosing all insurance do you think I would get any insurance from anybody eben though I am willing to pay for it?NO I wouldn't nobody wants me.So what do we do with people no insurance company wants?

So what should we do about that,you say people are lazy and fat,maybe if all people made were dark skinned and brown eyed and stayed out of the sun we wouldn't have to deal with those leecherous fair skinned people eh?
I think the better decision is for you to be healed, and 5 others have less quality health care.

Either that or kill off about a dozen 70 year olds who saved and scrimped to have a prosperous retirement. That should free up enough resources for a young guy like yourself and his needs to be met.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I think the better decision is for you to be healed, and 5 others have less quality health care.

Either that or kill off about a dozen 70 year olds who saved and scrimped to have a prosperous retirement. That should free up enough resources for a young guy like yourself and his needs to be met.

very cynical answer that had no response to what can be done about people who are denied being covered for conditions.Your answer is just die?

But since you mention saved and scrimped that 70 year old might have to spend that savings away to cover his condition when he finds out his condition will cost his life savings,so now the new American dream is "have health insurance" or " just don't get sick"?

Come back to the thread and be a little more detailed in your response.......

Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
I'm not a superstious person but I swear if I were some of the people on here I'd be looking over my shoulder every day waiting for karma to catch up to me.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,481 times
No joke, that was the response of a heartless person. I wish harm to nobody, but have nothing good to say to that respnose.

As to the OP, this is one of my major reasons to support healthcare overhaul. If pre-existing conditions were dealt with, it would free up a lot (not all) of the problems with our healtcare.

What we have now is well-care, and most people that support the current system don't have major problems to deal with. I hope for their sake that they never do, because if they ever get majorly sick, or loose all major incomes/jobs in their family, I suspect they'd have a different viewpoint

And the crap about killing off the old people has been debunked so many times it's not even worth acknowledging. Plus, at least those people are free to go out and buy additional coverage. In this case, the OP is not.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM

There are points I'm trying to make and I want you all to state your opinions on it...

First,not all with conditions are caused from being fat and lazy,some are genetic,though still easily curable or controlable though isn't exactly cheap to do so in current conditions.

Second,while stated that most who have no insurance choose to have none,in reality some want to pay for insurance but can't get it.What should be done about this?Should these people have other options to health care costs or not?

Third,who in this case is deregulation and capitalism benefiting comsumers/customers who no business wants their money?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

lionking replied

I am glad that you were successful with your treatment. Keep the follow up appointments.

Pre-existings is a major problem with our current system and needs to be addressed. No one should be punished through no fault of their own for contracting a disease.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am glad that you were successful with your treatment. Keep the follow up appointments.

Pre-existings is a major problem with our current system and needs to be addressed. No one should be punished through no fault of their own for contracting a disease.
Thanks hawkeye.I used my experience as a example but what I said is not just about me,but others who have more serious conditions than me,mine was cured and not as serious as some other people's condition yet even I was denied by all insurance.I guess it is a "work or die" situation,because for some unless they have a job that has group access they are SOL otherwise.No job that has group health=no insurance=die/or poverty

I generally believe in free market and no government interference but in this case those that advocate no government refuse to admit or see that sometimes unregulated business doesn't follow ethics.If all they can say is business should make profit using any tactic possible and that only the people with enough money should live through a curable condition than I break away from the small/no regulation government advocates.Nobody is stepping up to address the fact that some people are denied or led into poverty from health conditions through no fault of their own.All I have heard so far is you can be cured but "only if you have enough money,none of my concern about it,get a job that pays 200k a year so you can pay medical bills and if you can't no longer work than you have no use in society so stop leeching off it".

Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm not a superstious person but I swear if I were some of the people on here I'd be looking over my shoulder every day waiting for karma to catch up to me.
IMO karma has already caught up to a degree-the action in itself is the punishment. Nobody this hateful and mean can be happy.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM

305 posts, read 539,478 times
Let's see...it's been two hours since the OP and none of the Vocal Supporters of Health Care As It Is Today have spoken? No examples about how The Market will solve this issue?

All I can say is, if we end up settling for the sh*t sandwich that passes for health care in the USA at this time, I hope you're considering that something like this could very well happen to you or to someone in your family.

Thanks for sharing your story. Examples like this need to be in the headlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies