Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 04:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Do you have a source for this assertion that Trump " is opposed..... to homosexuals in general"? Obama and Hillary were both opposed to gay marriage less than four years ago.

Trump explicitly said recently on 60 Minutes that he had no opposition to gay marriage. "It is settled", he said. He is the most gay friendly Republican president ever. I am surprised by the hatred for him by Gay groups.
No, but I never said that Trump opposes homosexuality. Show me where I wrote that!

I mentioned he spoke in front of a group that believes homosexuality is a sin and supports discriminating against gay people. Other Republican candidates appeared at similar conventions. One pastor even said homosexuals should be round up and killed in an event where Ted Cruz spoke.

Regarding the 60 Minutes interview, Trump has said a lot of things that contradict his own words. In fact, I posted at least 2 videos in which he was specifically asked about same-sex marriage. He said it bothered him a lot and that he definitely cannot approve of it. One was an interview with Sean Hannity and another was an appearance on the Howard Stern show.

Anyone can have a change of heart. However, an elected official needs to be held responsible for what he or she says/does and we deserve an explanation if that opinion changes. When Trump made the announcement that Pres Obama was born in the United States, after 8 years of birtherism, he was given a pass. He never was asked about it again. Yet people constantly brought up things Obama said or did 25 or 30 years earlier when he was elected.

Anyway, you twisted everything I wrote. I said he is surrounding himself with people who are anti-gay and have proposed anti-gay policies like Mike Pence. I never said Trump personally hates gay people or thinks homosexuality is a sin.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
No, but I never said that. I wrote he spoke in front of a group that believes homosexuality is a sin and supports discriminating against gay people. Other Republican candidates appeared at similar conventions.

Regarding the 60 Minutes interview, Trump has said a lot of things that contradict what he has expressed over the past few years. In fact, I posted at least 2 videos in which he was specifically asked about same-sex marriage and he said it bothered him a lot and that he definitely cannot approve of it. One was an interview with Sean Hannity and another was an appearance on the Howard Stern show.

Anyway, you twisted everything I wrote. I said he surrounds himself with people who are anti-gay. I never said Trump hates gay people.

My hope is that we finally have a president who has personal views about something due to his religion and puts those away because it's his responsibility to represent all people.

I'm really tired of politicians who say they can't vote in favor of something because their religion is against it. They shouldn't be voting for themselves, but for their constituents, and if their religion prevents them from doing so, they should get the H out of the job.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:29 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
No, but I never said that Trump opposes homosexuality. Show me where I wrote that!
I quoted your post verbatim, Nancy.

You wrote above, "Trump once spoke in front of an evangelical group that not only is opposed to gay marriage but homosexuals in general."

Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I quoted your post verbatim, Nancy.

You wrote above, "Trump once spoke in front of an evangelical group that not only is opposed to gay marriage but homosexuals in general."
No you did not! You asked me to show where Trump specifically said he opposed homosexuality in general and I never wrote that. You highlighted only a portion of my post. I said he spoke in front of an evangelical group that is opposed to....

When did I state Trump opposes homosexuality? I said he appeared at an anti-LGBT rally in Orlando. IIRC, Marco Rubio also was there. I never said Trump used those words, but the group was called Pastors and Pews. They've stated in their literature and at their rallies they believe God is preventing an AIDS cure and warn of anti-Christian, militant homofascism.

This is very hypocritical, by the way. When Obama attended a church in which the pastor often preached words that were offensive to many people, he was harshly criticized and finally left the church, even though they were not his words. But when Trump meets with people who say homosexuals are deviants, it's okay because he really doesn't feel that way in his heart.

Anyway, we've gone way off-topic here, but I never once said Trump used those words. I only said Mike Pence and members of Trump's cabinet have often expressed anti-gay views. Pence went further by voting against HIV/AIDS funding and talked about conversion therapy. I'll just be repeating myself if I continue, since I've already talked mentioned Ben Carson and others.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
[snip]I'm really tired of politicians who say they can't vote in favor of something because their religion is against it. They shouldn't be voting for themselves, but for their constituents, and if their religion prevents them from doing so, they should get the H out of the job.
I'm really tired of that, too. I'm also beyond tired of Democrats who won't support something because Republicans proposed it.

Trump has the House, Senate, and Supreme Court. I hope he uses this voter mandate well. Obama did not use it well at the start of his presidency. He alienated all Republicans by passing legislation without bipartisan support and used his pen after he lost the first midterm election and subsequent midterm elections to Republicans.

We will see what Trump does. The midterm elections are two years away.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm really tired of that, too. I'm also beyond tired of Democrats who won't support something because Republicans proposed it.
That's a riot. This Congress has been the most obstructionist in modern day politics. The Republicans used the filibuster against President Obama a record number of times and even blocked bills they originated from being passed. The GOP wouldn't even follow the Constitution and kept a sitting POTUS from appointing a Supreme Court Justice.

But thanks for the laugh.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
No you did not! You asked me to show where Trump specifically said he opposed homosexuality in general and I never wrote that. You highlighted only a portion of my post. I said he spoke in front of an evangelical group that is opposed to....

When did I state Trump opposes homosexuality? I said he appeared at an anti-LGBT rally in Orlando. IIRC, Marco Rubio also was there. I never said Trump used those words, but the group was called Pastors and Pews. They've stated in their literature and at their rallies they believe God is preventing an AIDS cure and warn of anti-Christian, militant homofascism.

This is very hypocritical, by the way. When Obama attended a church in which the pastor often preached words that were offensive to many people, he was harshly criticized and finally left the church, even though they were not his words. But when Trump meets with people who say homosexuals are deviants, it's okay because he really doesn't feel that way in his heart.

Anyway, we've gone way off-topic here, but I never once said Trump used those words. I only said Mike Pence and members of Trump's cabinet have often expressed anti-gay views. Pence went further by voting against HIV/AIDS funding and talked about conversion therapy. I'll just be repeating myself if I continue, since I've already talked mentioned Ben Carson and others.
This whole thread is about Jennifer Holliday, who won't sing at Trump's inauguration after being bullied not to do it by Leftists and that is shameful.

Most Republicans I know don't give a damn who anyone sleeps with.

Pence isn't President.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:17 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I just don't know what is wrong with people. I haven't read all the posts, but if some group tried to tell me how to live my life, I would be more adamant to do whatever it was, not less.

I guess having a spine is a Republican thing?

Old 01-15-2017, 05:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:

Trump has the House, Senate, and Supreme Court. I hope he uses this voter mandate well. Obama did not use it well at the start of his presidency. He alienated all Republicans by passing legislation without bipartisan support and used his pen after he lost the first midterm election and subsequent midterm elections to Republicans.

We will see what Trump does. The midterm elections are two years away.
That's another thing that needs to stop and both sides are guilty of it.

What a useless bunch of asswipes who don't earn their pay. We, the people, shouldn't be bickering among ourselves, we should be joining forces to tell these idiots that if they don't start representing us, putting our best interests before their personal interests, they'll find themselves out of a job next election. And that goes for ALL of them.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 915,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So what was her name again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies