Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,417,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Back in 1972, I worked for a government funded agency whose male and female employees received significantly different health insurance benefits. Wives of male employees who gave birth were covered - female employees who gave birth were not.

If I remember correctly, female employees were allowed to take one day of paid sick leave, but no related expenses were covered. Wives of male employees received standard coverage, including hospital bills and medical bills associated with childbirth.

I asked why this situation existed, and was told that was just the way it was. There was no recourse, and it was entirely legal at that time. It was blatantly unjust, and the agency lost many fine female employees. My female colleagues, who were the majority of employees at this agency, also attempted to change this policy, but it took many years before justice prevailed.

To ignore those who came before and the events of the past simply because they are in the past is extremely foolish, and does not speak well for those who chose to live solely in the present. The past never is fully past. It's wise to remember that and learn its lessons.
I'm sure their justification boiled down to the expectation that their female employee would be covered by her husband's insurance.

For many years, my husband was covered by the insurance I enrolled in through my employer, because my husband was an independent consultant. Crazy, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,040,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Increase your skill and you won't need to worry about equality. Equality is for losers.
There are people who are highly skilled and still aren't paid the same as those equally skilled but the opposite gender or even treated the same in the workplace.

I am in a doctoral program so don't tell me about "increasing my skill."

Old 01-18-2017, 11:15 AM

305 posts, read 180,828 times
Quote:
Increase your skill and you won't need to worry about equality. Equality is for losers.
Do you support the idea that everyone is equal until they've proven otherwise? Because that's all feminism was fighting to begin with - the idea that a female could never be equal to a male, simply because of her gender.

The value of my hard work is absolutely diminished if we start pretending that lazy people's work is equal to mine... no one is advocating that. "Feminists" simply want to be given the same opportunity that men have historically been given.

Equality should not be doled out based on ones gender, and ones levels of femininity or masculinity should not preclude anyone from respect that they've earned.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:40 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,944,441 times
Quote:
What's the point of explaining myself when you've already decide to disagree with me?

I don't discriminate either. Giving everyone an equal part when they're clearly not equal is communism.
Bless your heart...

Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,646,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There are people who are highly skilled and still aren't paid the same as those equally skilled but the opposite gender or even treated the same in the workplace.

I am in a doctoral program so don't tell me about "increasing my skill."
People are going to get discriminated in the workplace regardless of their gender or skill. That's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
Do you support the idea that everyone is equal until they've proven otherwise? Because that's all feminism was fighting to begin with - the idea that a female could never be equal to a male, simply because of her gender.

The value of my hard work is absolutely diminished if we start pretending that lazy people's work is equal to mine... no one is advocating that. "Feminists" simply want to be given the same opportunity that men have historically been given.

Equality should not be doled out based on ones gender, and ones levels of femininity or masculinity should not preclude anyone from respect that they've earned.
No one is equal.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm sure their justification boiled down to the expectation that their female employee would be covered by her husband's insurance.

For many years, my husband was covered by the insurance I enrolled in through my employer, because my husband was an independent consultant. Crazy, right?
I expect you are right - but this theory did nothing for single mothers, of course, or those who divorced only to find themselves pregnant. I suppose some would argue that such women should have had better divorce lawyers who would have obtained better settlements. There are always those who offer such come-backs, incessantly, as this thread richly illustrates.

Bless their hearts!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
People are going to get discriminated in the workplace regardless of their gender or skill. That's life.

No one is equal.
Everyone is equal under the law. That has nothing to do with skill or intelligence, and everything to do with a just society.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 AM

305 posts, read 180,828 times
Quote:

No one is equal.
Don't be obtuse. How do you quantify the potential of an unknown? My potential should not be decided by my gender, or how feminine I am. For lack of a better word, I am "equal" to my male and female counterparts until I prove my competence or incompetence.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,417,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I expect you are right - but this theory did nothing for single mothers, of course, or those who divorced only to find themselves pregnant. I suppose some would argue that such women should have had better divorce lawyers who would have obtained better settlements. There are always those who offer such come-backs, incessantly, as this thread richly illustrates.

Bless their hearts!
You forgot the little. It's "Bless your little heart."

Old 01-18-2017, 11:57 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,646,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
Don't be obtuse. How do you quantify the potential of an unknown? My potential should not be decided by my gender, or how feminine I am. For lack of a better word, I am "equal" to my male and female counterparts until I prove my competence or incompetence.
Google Marilyn Reece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies