Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:06 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,912,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But as an adult one should know the actions of one or a few individuals doesn't translate to the entire group and we have more than adequate resources to research these things.
Being in the bible belt and having involvement with churches I have come across some women who are the exact opposite of feminist. They don't work, never worked, believe and preach that women should stay home and take care of the kids, husband and house. They don't even believe women should wear pants. I have been dissed by these women for working, getting divorced, the way I dress and various other things but I know that these are opinions of a few individuals and not all SAHMs or Christians hate working mothers, or divorcees. I also see the value in the things these SAHMs and religious women have done to help families and the community.
Ah and there it is in bold. I agree. Did Hillary make such distinctions? We have a thread on Bikers going to DC in support of Trump. Yet the left labels them as criminals and thugs. Read the many posts in that regard.
Look at the many threads and posts where Trump supporters are labeled. Both sides do it and will continue to do so.
You see I have the belief that no one needs to fit into or agree completely with any group. Unfortunately that freedom is opposed and suppressed my so many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 11:24 AM

6,269 posts, read 5,095,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But as an adult one should know the actions of one or a few individuals doesn't translate to the entire group and we have more than adequate resources to research these things.
Being in the bible belt and having involvement with churches I have come across some women who are the exact opposite of feminist. They don't work, never worked, believe and preach that women should stay home and take care of the kids, husband and house. They don't even believe women should wear pants. I have been dissed by these women for working, getting divorced, the way I dress and various other things but I know that these are opinions of a few individuals and not all SAHMs or Christians hate working mothers, or divorcees. I also see the value in the things these SAHMs and religious women have done to help families and the community.
Yeah, there are know-it-all, radical, opinionated people located on both sides of this discussion.

Through my life I have had the luxury of being able to stay home to raise two little boys and also had the option (and then eventually the necessity) of working while being a single mother. Whether being a stay-at-home mother or second in charge of the 12th largest YMCA in the country, I never felt like a disempowered woman. Staying home was my choice. Working was my choice. And when it was no longer my choice I (for the most part) successfully balanced work and home.

To me, being an empowered woman means being able to live your life as you see fit and make choices that are right for your life. There are radical feminists who quite frankly are a little nuts (or a lot nuts). I watched a video recently of a woman who called herself a baby breeding machine, and how all men and male babies need to be killed so that the women of the planet can live in peace. How do you even respond to such stupidity? You can't. And those kinds are not even worthy of a response. There is a healthy grievance industry for such women just as there is a healthy grievance industry for those who live in perpetual race-victimhood.

People (generally) need to mind their own business in how others choose to live their lives. As a woman, let me live my life as I choose and stay out of my way so I can work hard to strive and achieve whatever my dreams, goals and aspirations are. That is feminism. To the OP - raise your family, ignore the haters, remove toxic people from your life.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 AM

6,269 posts, read 5,095,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Ah and there it is in bold. I agree. Did Hillary make such distinctions? We have a thread on Bikers going to DC in support of Trump. Yet the left labels them as criminals and thugs. Read the many posts in that regard.
Look at the many threads and posts where Trump supporters are labeled. Both sides do it and will continue to do so.
You see I have the belief that no one needs to fit into or agree completely with any group. Unfortunately that freedom is opposed and suppressed my so many.
Yeah. In the age of social media everyone has a megaphone and everyone has an opinion. You know what they say about opinions - they're like a$$-holes - everyone has one and most of them stink.

You can't take the opinion of everyone to heart. You'd drive yourself crazy if you did. I learned a long time ago who I care about, and whose opinions matter to me. That list is very short.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:30 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,175,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
So I call myself an anti-feminist and think feminism has done more harm than good, but today is not needed in the western world, and definitely get annoyed at all the dumb stuff feminists like to ***** about. However, I was talking to someone recently and she is the opposite, however she made all kinds of claims about how I am being sexist against my own gender and I am pregnant and I am due the 30th so she proceeded to tell me that she "feels sorry" for my daughter and I will be a "bad mother" because as I told her I and my husband will raise her with the important facts and life and I certainly don't believe teaching her that men are evil monsters and that no matter how intelligent she is or how hard she works evil men are just looking to keep her down as feminists teach.

I am a woman that has worked at various places for many years and honestly, the only ones that tried to "keep me down" were other women that had all sorts of problems.

I just don't get how I am supposedly sexist against my own gender simply due to me not thinking my daughter should believe all the teachings of feminism, where they spread fear in the name of righteousness and keep coming up with new ways we are supposedly "oppressed" in this day and age.
You can thank feminism for being able to partake in the bolded.

I think you're confusing feminism with feminazism.

Feminism = The different genders should be treated equally.

Feminazism = BURN ALL TEH BRAS!!!!!1! MEN ARE EVIL PIGS, WOMYN ONLY!!!

Old 01-16-2017, 11:32 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There you have it folks. Another well-thought out and succinctly phrased argument.
Triggered?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:52 AM

59,510 posts, read 27,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
So I call myself an anti-feminist and think feminism has done more harm than good, but today is not needed in the western world, and definitely get annoyed at all the dumb stuff feminists like to ***** about. However, I was talking to someone recently and she is the opposite, however she made all kinds of claims about how I am being sexist against my own gender and I am pregnant and I am due the 30th so she proceeded to tell me that she "feels sorry" for my daughter and I will be a "bad mother" because as I told her I and my husband will raise her with the important facts and life and I certainly don't believe teaching her that men are evil monsters and that no matter how intelligent she is or how hard she works evil men are just looking to keep her down as feminists teach.

I am a woman that has worked at various places for many years and honestly, the only ones that tried to "keep me down" were other women that had all sorts of problems.

I just don't get how I am supposedly sexist against my own gender simply due to me not thinking my daughter should believe all the teachings of feminism, where they spread fear in the name of righteousness and keep coming up with new ways we are supposedly "oppressed" in this day and age.
Many leftist will use words like "feminist" racist, bigot, etc. whenever thy get in a discussion and can't reply to facts.

By using these words it cuts off any real discussion and you spend your time arguing why you are not what they call you.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 AM

51,697 posts, read 25,989,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You can thank feminism for being able to partake in the bolded.

I think you're confusing feminism with feminazism.

Feminism = The different genders should be treated equally.

Feminazism = BURN ALL TEH BRAS!!!!!1! MEN ARE EVIL PIGS, WOMYN ONLY!!!
Exactly.

Phyllis Schaffly made a career of going around the country, giving speeches about how women should stay home where they belonged, fulfilling their God-given feminine roles.

I remember her carrying on about how the "privileges" we would lose if we passed the ERA.

As far as I could tell, the only privileges had to do with bathrooms.

And here we are again with the bathrooms.

sigh

Old 01-16-2017, 12:03 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,605,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
In 1956 my mother was terminated from her job because she was pregnant and her boss thought the stairs at the business were too steep for a pregnant woman
My dad was offered an engineering position at some town here way back in the day. My mom was pregnant at the time. The school district told her that she could not work while she was pregnant.....I figure it was that whole "we don't want people knowing you have sex" thing. My dad, being the progressive he is (how awful!) said nope, we're not living in that town & that was that.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 PM

24,141 posts, read 15,227,193 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Phyllis Schaffly made a career of going around the country, giving speeches about how women should stay home where they belonged, fulfilling their God-given feminine roles.

I remember her carrying on about how the "privileges" we would lose if we passed the ERA.

sigh
And all the while she was going all over the nation to defeat the ERA, she was not at home caring for her family.

She spoke to my church group. I asked who was caring for her kids. She ignored me. The church ladies just about told me to never come back to their monthly lunch and study. Too bad, I was the shopper and cook.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:47 PM

50,494 posts, read 64,395,644 times
Quote:
Exactly.

sigh
Well, sort of. Phyllis Schlafly was a lawyer, so she had traditional values, but also had a professional career. I get what she was saying. There is a case to be made for women taking care of their own children and sharing the responsibilities of a household with a partner, instead of being "free" to have to do everything herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies