Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,944,441 times

Advertisements

Back in 1972, I worked for a government funded agency whose male and female employees received significantly different health insurance benefits. Wives of male employees who gave birth were covered - female employees who gave birth were not.

If I remember correctly, female employees were allowed to take one day of paid sick leave, but no related expenses were covered. Wives of male employees received standard coverage, including hospital bills and medical bills associated with childbirth.

I asked why this situation existed, and was told that was just the way it was. There was no recourse, and it was entirely legal at that time. It was blatantly unjust, and the agency lost many fine female employees. My female colleagues, who were the majority of employees at this agency, also attempted to change this policy, but it took many years before justice prevailed.

To ignore those who came before and the events of the past simply because they are in the past is extremely foolish, and does not speak well for those who chose to live solely in the present. The past never is fully past. It's wise to remember that and learn its lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead & call foul over your entire story, starting with I believe you're actually a male. No female hates their gender to such a hysterical extent as your posts indicate. Cool story but totally fabricated to use as a platform to rail against women who have either done better than you in life or rejected you....or both. End of thread.
Can't rep you for this, but I think you're right on the mark. Kudos.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,646,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Back in 1972, I worked for a government funded agency whose male and female employees received significantly different health insurance benefits. Wives of male employees who gave birth were covered - female employees who gave birth were not.

If I remember correctly, female employees were allowed to take one day of paid sick leave, but no related expenses were covered. Wives of male employees received standard coverage, including hospital bills and medical bills associated with childbirth.

I asked why this situation existed, and was told that was just the way it was. There was no recourse, and it was entirely legal at that time.

To ignore those who came before and the events of the past simply because they are in the past is extremely foolish, and does not speak well for those who chose to live solely in the present. The past never is fully past. It's wise to remember that and learn its lessons.
Women are more miserable today than they were in 1972.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Care to explain this statement? Were you an adult in 1972, and are you a woman?

As an advocate of fairness and non-discrimination, I have to disagree with you.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM

305 posts, read 180,828 times
If you are a female who does not believe that you are sub-par to males, then you are a feminist - whether you call yourself one or not.

Feminism is NOT about female superiority. It's not ONLY for females.

Feminism is supporting the idea that femininity is not sub-par to masculinity. What that means is, men can be effeminate and still be men. Females can be effeminate and still be treated as any other human. Being feminine is not weak, or worse than being masculine - period.

That's feminism. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you don't agree with that, you're a traitor to your own gender.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Care to explain this statement? Were you an adult in 1972, and are you a woman?

As an advocate of fairness and non-discrimination, I have to disagree with you.

What's the point of explaining myself when you've already decide to disagree with me?

I don't discriminate either. Giving everyone an equal part when they're clearly not equal is communism.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,040,849 times
Quote:
What's the point of explaining myself when you've already decide to disagree with me?

I don't discriminate either. Giving everyone an equal part when they're clearly not equal is communism.
This is what people say when they have no argument. Just know we see through it.

Are you saying that because there are some biological differences between males and females, they deserve no equality in any specific or maybe even all aspects of life?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And if women as a group do not guard their fought for rights (remember we did not have them as a default as free men did) there is a chance we will loose them. Feminism noticeably began around the 1800's, it wasn't till the 1970's that women gained some rights we take for granted 1978 work while preg. 1977 report sexual harassment, 1974 get a credit card, in the 1980;s women weren't covered under maternity leave, in 1990 women couldn't serve in combat roles....etc.
1970's may see like a long time to you but for some of us it was like yesterday, we lived it. Even today there are issues that affect women, poverty, violence, reproductive rights, breast feeding, child care, sex trafficking. Women are still underrepresented in politics, stem fields, judicial positions. Im sure people thought there was absolutely no longer any need for feminism in the 1800's when women got property rights and in 1910 when they got the right to vote, in 1965 when the pill became legal for married women, in 1974 when they were allowed their own credit. Freedom is not something one can let sit idle.
I had an interesting chat with my neighbor the other day, she is in her 60s. We talked quite a lot about the election. She is a progressive white woman (just for context) and she was really proud of Hillary Clinton. Because, as she mentioned it was just so hard, and there were so many blockers to get to the upper echelon of politics for women.

Between all the things you have listed above, casual sexism in our society and everything else. It is really easy for women my age to take it for granted that while we still have blockers, the are more like social norms and not coded into laws. We still have a long way to go, but we have made quite of bit of progress that could easily be unturned.

Not long ago my friend, an experienced software engineer, found out she was significantly underpaid compared to her male peers. So much so that first year male engineering interns were paid the same amount as she was and she had 10 years of experience and had excelled working on core projects. She was 50% under market value for her level. Luckily her boss advocated for her and she got a raise to make up for it and a significant bonus. But 10 years of being underpaid has much larger impacts than just your paychecks.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 AM

36,769 posts, read 31,056,034 times
Quote:
Wow, how could you possibly know that?
Wait, I have seen others with your super power.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is what people say when they have no argument. Just know we see through it.

Are you saying that because there are some biological differences between males and females, they deserve no equality in any specific or maybe even all aspects of life?
Increase your skill and you won't need to worry about equality. Equality is for losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies