Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
i watched the inauguration all day. I saw a packed mall, and nothing at all about riots or protests. Imagine my surprise when the next days paper was only articles about protests and weak attendance, compared to Obama.
If the weak attendance story was accurate, it's probably because More Trump supporters go to work.
I thought Trump supporters were complaining about trade agreements putting them all out of work?

Of course, there were more people at Obama's inauguration. He had considerable support in DC. Outside of Congress, Trump's support is fairly thin.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I thought Trump supporters were complaining about trade agreements putting them all out of work?

Of course, there were more people at Obama's inauguration. He had considerable support in DC. Outside of Congress, Trump's support is fairly thin.
Slight correction: Obama's FIRST inauguration which even a pigeon could have predicted given that he was the first black person to be president.
Besides that, why would anyone really care...

Old 01-22-2017, 03:41 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It felt like I had heard parts of Trump's speech before. Parts of it sounded like a description of some desolate district in the Hunger Games, but couldn't quite place it.

Then our son pointed out that it was the Batman movie, Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises.

For example, Trump vows to give America back to the people, saying "We're giving it back to you, the people."

In The Dark Knight Rises, Bane freed prisoners in Gotham City the stood on top a car and said, "And we give it back to you, the people."

This is too damn funny.
I just realized that there will undoubtedly be a Trump comic book appearing soon. And what a dream-come-true this is for comedians.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:24 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Slight correction: Obama's FIRST inauguration which even a pigeon could have predicted given that he was the first black person to be president.
Besides that, why would anyone really care...
If we are dealing with actual facts rather than alternative facts, the crowd was larger at both of Obama's inaugurations.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
It appears White House spokesman Spicer may be right. Trumps inauguration ratings on TV and in media may be the highest in history according to Entertainment Weekly.

Trump inauguration ratings second biggest in 36 years

The only inauguration over the last three decades that tops Trump’s number in the linear ratings? Barack Obama’s first inauguration back in 2009, which had a record-setting 37.8 million viewers. So Trump was down from the last new president to take office.

But before that, to get an Inauguration Day number this high, you’d have to go all the way back to Ronald Reagan in 1981, who was seen by 41.8 million viewers (Nielsen released tracking for inauguration ratings back to 1969).

......Trump could have been seen by more viewers than either Obama or Reagan. Nielsen ratings do not account for online viewing, which has grown sharply in recent years and is far more commonplace than even four years ago. CNN.com, for example, clocked 16.9 million live streams, tying*with its Election Day coverage for the site’s top event (live stream tallies are typically not apples-to-apples with Nielsen’s strict methodology of counting average viewers, but are still additive). Plus, portals like YouTube,*Facebook and Twitter offered live streams as well.

I personally don't care, but it is interesting so many in the press jumped on Trump's spokesman, Spicer, for being a liar. Apparently, Spicer was correct.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:21 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think security was tighter at the inauguration and the weather conditions in DC weren't great.
The weather during Obama's inauguration in 2009 was freezing. I had a few friends who attended and one of them kept updating me via txt on how cold it was. This inauguration the temps were the 4th warmest on record, nearly 50 degrees at time of swearing in.

SOURCE

Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM

9,726 posts, read 14,271,125 times
We watched the inauguration on t.v. almost all day. Husband and I agree.....it was almost the happiest day of our lives (with the exception of our marriage 57 years ago).

Old 01-22-2017, 08:03 PM

88,606 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
We watched the inauguration on t.v. almost all day. Husband and I agree.....it was almost the happiest day of our lives (with the exception of our marriage 57 years ago).
For real? I'm terribly sorry.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:35 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
There you go folks, second highest rated inauguration on TV.

Americans in general want change and be better.

With all these lunatics protesting and rioting, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if in fact attendance at the inauguration in person was lower than what they wanted. Sometimes concerns of safety override the moment.

Quote:
Donald Trump’s inauguration ratings were the second-highest in 36 years, according to Nielsen.

The swearing-in of the 45th president was seen by 30.6 million viewers across 12 networks.
And this:

Quote:
Trump’s numbers are all the more remarkable considering he’s entering into office with rather low approval ratings compared to past presidents and sparked protests worldwide along with vows to not watch his inauguration.

And actually, Trump could have been seen by more viewers than either Obama or Reagan. Nielsen ratings do not account for online viewing, which has grown sharply in recent years and is far more commonplace than even four years ago.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There you go folks, second highest rated inauguration on TV.

Americans in general want change and be better.

With all these lunatics protesting and rioting, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if in fact attendance at the inauguration in person was lower than what they wanted. Sometimes concerns of safety override the moment.

And this:
Sorry, but the rioting was on maybe 2 blocks, it was far from widespread and squashed quickly, the the permit holding protests were peaceful.

Thanks for confirming the "alternative facts" though, it WAS NOT the largest amount of people, either in real life OR television, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies