Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 PM

18,122 posts, read 15,704,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ople keep dividing themselves into "Libs" and "Cons" and dancing around calling one another names, we will never get anywhere.
Yes to that! Besides, people lump everyone into one extreme or the other. Believe it or not there are people who are neither liberal nor conservative, who are independent and moderate. I happen to fall into that region. Of the 2 candidates I thought only 1 was qualified, rational, and mature enough to hold that critical office. Doesn't mean I agreed with everything, but at the most basic, the person in that office should at least be rational, sane, and mature.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Yes. During the Reagan years, they reclassified low-IQ people to be not-so-low IQ so they could discontinue benefits to them. My friend's sister was one of them. She was "slow", but they told her that now she had to go to get a job. Her father was dead, her mother had nothing, and her sister was working as a waitress to help pay the rent. All her life she had been in special ed and considered mentally disabled, and now suddenly she was smart enough to go out and support herself, just like that.

It was also during the Reagan years when the homeless population exploded because it was decided that mentally ill people shouldn't be taken care of anymore. I worked in NYC. Overnight there were people sleeping on the streets and in the bus terminal, obviously hallucinating and screaming at people. I mean, almost literally overnight did the mentally ill homeless population became noticeably larger, and it still is.
The mentally ill? Thank ACLU for that. Always thought that was a horrific decision by the courts even if I understand the ACLU's argument. At the end, it did nothing but harm the mentally ill. The argument was involuntary inpatient care was no longer even necessary because the newer psychiatric drugs were available and could keep them from being a danger to themselves. We see how that worked out.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:25 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Yes to that! Besides, people lump everyone into one extreme or the other. Believe it or not there are people who are neither liberal nor conservative, who are independent and moderate. I happen to fall into that region. Of the 2 candidates I thought only 1 was qualified, rational, and mature enough to hold that critical office. Doesn't mean I agreed with everything, but at the most basic, the person in that office should at least be rational, sane, and mature.
So true. I don't fit into either box. On some things, I am conservative, on others, more liberal. I struggled right up to Election Day over our choices, and in the end, I wrote someone in. I knew for sure which way my state would go, so I knew it wouldn't matter.

I find that when you get the nutjobs on here who make broad assumptions about what you think or go on and on about "your side", they are people best ignored. Generally speaking, they are not thinkers.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:29 PM

So,

What "great" time is Trump talking about? No one, to my knowledge, has asked him this question. When past presidents are mentioned there isn't one he thought was great. So what is this great time he's trying to get back to? Can't believe no one has bothered to question him on this.

You want more national debt? Military buildup? Loss of rights (or just loss of rights for some people)? Do you care if people have no health insurance (as long as you do)? Prefer private corporations to take over the infrastructure and then charge everyone to use all the roads or do you want government to maintain and own the roads? You want a war? (you got one with Reagan & Bush). How about the 50's and 60's? You want dad to go to work and mom to stay home and clean house and cook and wash and iron? You ready to live in an average size house of 1,200 sq ft? That's what people had because that's what they could afford on 1 income. Oh and most families only had 1 car (my family included). Women, ready to give up reproductive rights?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:48 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
So,

What "great" time is Trump talking about? No one, to my knowledge, has asked him this question. When past presidents are mentioned there isn't one he thought was great. So what is this great time he's trying to get back to? Can't believe no one has bothered to question him on this.

You want more national debt? Military buildup? Loss of rights (or just loss of rights for some people)? Do you care if people have no health insurance (as long as you do)? Prefer private corporations to take over the infrastructure and then charge everyone to use all the roads or do you want government to maintain and own the roads? You want a war? (you got one with Reagan & Bush). How about the 50's and 60's? You want dad to go to work and mom to stay home and clean house and cook and wash and iron? You ready to live in an average size house of 1,200 sq ft? That's what people had because that's what they could afford on 1 income. Oh and most families only had 1 car (my family included). Women, ready to give up reproductive rights?
Hey, you could also have dad stay home and take care of the kids, etc. Not a bad choice and one we did. I worked, my husband stayed home with our daughter. I don't think it's a bad thing to do well enough economically to allow such a situation. And didn't you hear? Massive consumerism is out along with McMansions. Living tiny and all that is the rage now, right?

Yes there is a bit of tongue in cheek in my post but looking to what we did right in history is not a bad thing nor a bad ideal to look towards.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:16 PM

I live within and a bit below my means, on purpose, so I'm down with that idea. But you didn't have the rampant consumer debt back then. You didn't have as many choices.

Ready to buy only American goods & services? Are you sure? Ready to give up equal rights? Willing to forgo equal pay for the same work? Sure daddy can stay home but mommy might not make as much in the workplace. Those are all part of the "Make America Great Again" (whatever that means, which no one can answer) regime.

IMO, when America takes the lead on the really big issues, issues that affect everyone, that's a win. I'm talking big issues like fairness, equality, respect, health & wellness, science, research, innovation, etc. The attitude of "forget you, it's all about me me me me me and my family and who cares about youuuuuuu" is not a good destination.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:30 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
I live within and a bit below my means, on purpose, so I'm down with that idea. But you didn't have the rampant consumer debt back then. You didn't have as many choices.

Ready to buy only American goods & services? Are you sure? Ready to give up equal rights? Willing to forgo equal pay for the same work? Sure daddy can stay home but mommy might not make as much in the workplace. Those are all part of the "Make America Great Again" (whatever that means, which no one can answer) regime.

IMO, when America takes the lead on the really big issues, issues that affect everyone, that's a win. I'm talking big issues like fairness, equality, respect, health & wellness, science, research, innovation, etc. The attitude of "forget you, it's all about me me me me me and my family and who cares about youuuuuuu" is not a good destination.
This is important. These people are all banking on Trump bringing back jobs that were outsourced overseas. If he can do that, it would be great. However, no longer paying slave wages for clothing and other items means that they will cost more. Many of the people who want jobs back in their neck of the woods are the ones dashing off to Walmart every weekend and filling their carts with goods made in China and Indonesia. Are people ready to pay more for American-made things and maybe not have so much stuff?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 PM

10,493 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
This is important. These people are all banking on Trump bringing back jobs that were outsourced overseas. If he can do that, it would be great. However, no longer paying slave wages for clothing and other items means that they will cost more. Many of the people who want jobs back in their neck of the woods are the ones dashing off to Walmart every weekend and filling their carts with goods made in China and Indonesia. Are people ready to pay more for American-made things and maybe not have so much stuff?
But yet, I still see people who are on welfare, having no problem driving around in expensive BMW and Mercedes, and buying coach purses and 300 Nike shoes.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
You and Trump saw the same thing. The rest of the world saw if differently.
No, we saw what the network was showing. The photo that the Leftist media is showing is from before the start, while people were still pouring in. They are liars. And you are buying it.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
TRUMP DID NOT WIN LEGIT ... THATS WHAT MATTERS!!!!!!!

It was stolen for a purpose.. ONE YOU WONT SEE UNTIL ITS TOO LATE!!!
Oh, please! In what way did he not win legitimately? He won the most electoral votes. Every sovereign state votes and the results determine the number of electors. Trump won the most states. Geto over it. Nothing was "stolen." Go cry in your beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies