Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times

Advertisements

If you don't like Trump or agree with Republican policies, it makes a lot more sense to dedicate time and energy fighting for what you believe in, and doing grassroots work to accomplish that. Protesting the inauguration seems to me to be throwing a giant temper tantrum, and it's especially bothersome to me that if you're somebody who has serious reservations about a Trump presidency yet make this point, you'll be ostracized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
If you don't like Trump or agree with Republican policies, it makes a lot more sense to dedicate time and energy fighting for what you believe in, and doing grassroots work to accomplish that. Protesting the inauguration seems to me to be throwing a giant temper tantrum, and it's especially bothersome to me that if you're somebody who has serious reservations about a Trump presidency yet make this point, you'll be ostracized.
Protests fire people up to then go home and join the real grassroots effort. It allows people to network and learn from each other how to advocate for their cause. I know of two women who were pretty much ambivalent to politics, who attended rallies on the day of the electoral college vote, and who have both become politically active locally as a result. Don't underestimate the power and energy generated by a large number of like minded people gathering for a common purpose. That's how grassroots efforts begin.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times
There is no point.

Nobody will pay the slightest bit of attention to them.

By January 21, they will be forgotten.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
There are protests - and protests. I hope all will remain peaceful on Inauguration Day, but expect to see all kinds of protests, some very non-violent and others - well, let's just say they are likely to be much more confrontational.

It's interesting to observe that one of the past protests which drew the most attention was that sole Chinese citizen, standing face to face with a tank. Peaceful and non-violent as could be...Ghandi-esque.

I suspect those who quietly line the route with homemade signs, or citizens who fly the American flag by their front doors - upside down - or those who write letters or articles for their hometown newspapers, or who gather names on petitions, or who join non-profits or other organizations supporting their causes, or who press their representatives at all levels to be responsive to their constituents will carry the day in the long run. But it may be quite a while until that particular day is carried, given the present climate.

Meanwhile, speak up. Educate yourself about American history and government, and world history as well. Know your rights. Volunteer for causes you support. Find like-minded individuals. Consider running for office. Take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Stay informed from a wide range of sources, and consider all POVs, but do what you can to verify.

Fasten your seatbelts, and keep safe during what looks like a very wild ride ahead.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:46 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Ostracized by whom exactly? Ostracize means to exclude from society, but the majority of the country does not approve of Trump anyhow, so how could some be ostracized?

The Tea Party had quite a few protests against Obama. Certainly all those that disliked Obama did not go to the protests, but they clearly did not ostracize those who did.

The right’s hypocrisy on Trump protesters: It was only OK when the Tea Party was crashing Obamacare meetings - Salon.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Party_protests

Thousands of Anti-Tax 'Tea Party' Protesters Turn Out in U.S. Cities | Fox News

Old 01-15-2017, 12:50 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
People waste a whole lot of time over nothing. This shows the real weakness of Democrats, and they are known for starting riots and harboring over-the-top temper tantrums. Meanwhile, we'll have an historic inauguration that could be the greatest in years, and all Dems want to do is ruin the proceedings for the rest of us.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:07 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,828 times
I hope they come and the cops turn the hoses on them

Old 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,976,145 times
He got 2.8 million votes LESS than hillary, it was grossly unfair!!!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:31 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
He got 2.8 million votes LESS than hillary, it was grossly unfair!!!
Read the Constitution. That's the way the system works. There is nothing unfair about it.

As for the protests, my question is: Who is funding all this travel? We are certainly not "poor", but there is no way we could afford to go to D.C. (or even to the state capital) to join in one of those marches!
Of course, the fact is we would not even if we could afford it.
A protest is supposed to have a goal in mind (assuming a mob can be said to have a mind). What is the goal of these marches? What do they hope to accomplish? Do they really believe their march will accomplish those goals? Or, are they just making noise for the sake of making noise?
It is my sincere wish that there will be sufficient Law Enforcement presence there so that if any of them break any law, they will be arrested.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:22 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
I just wonder if you've never sent back a meal at a restaurant that wasn't of your liking? Had words with an auto mechanic who didn't perform up to your standards? Spoke with your child's teacher if your kid was falling behind in school? Wrote a letter to a city official about a pothole?

Would that be considered throwing a 'temper tantrum"? Please draw us the line between protest, being bothersome or throwing that temper tantrum. A nation awaits your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies