Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
He did plenty for many people. For the black community, zilch.
There is no such thing as one "black community."

I'm black and posted what he did for me personally and for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lot's of people crying that Obama is no longer President.

What did he do for you the past 8 years?

Do you just 'miss' Obama because you are 'fearful' of Trump or hate Trump?

I'm a "coastal elite", so things have been great for me. I grew up in rural Kansas, but am now in the West Coast with a great salary and job at the age of 30. I bring this up to say that those of us with jobs, a brain, and any sense know that Dems are better for economic performance (as studies have shown).

Over the past eight years, the economy has been really solid, I've never felt any fear when walking the streets (tumps characteriszation), I've never feared about terrorism, driving across bridges (trumps comment), etc. Trump keeps talking about this horrible dystopian place, and when I walk around, I just don't see it. So either he's an idiot....or he really like alternative facts

So yeah, my life has been great on a personal level and I soundly attribute a lot of my success and that of the tech sector to him and moderate democratic economic policies.

Why do I HATE trump?

My number one policy concern is always free trade and free market capitalism. I want to ensure that barriers aren't in place so that companies can trade freely, build their products where ever it makes sense, and so forth. Trump's views and actions on this are terrifying. We need TPP, reduced trade barriers, and don't need the government telling companies that they can't make products in Mexico.

I also hate his authoritarian tendencies. But I'd think EVERY american would see the issue with that...except those who like strong men and want to be their puppet.

Last edited by tonym9428; 01-23-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You wouldn't have insurance, but you'd have emergency healthcare. Re a law that took effect in 1986, people cant be denied emergency care at a U.S. hospital....even if they don't have insurance.

Of course you're singing his praises. You're on Medicaid, have no deductible, and some of the rest of us are collectively paying your premiums

What did he do for me?

My health insurance deductible has more than tripled, and my premium has almost tripled .

I don't know why you're mad. I'm the one that should be mad because I don't have a job. At least you have more freedom. You can go to a naturopathic doctor if you wanted to because it's your money but I don't blame Obama. I don't blame any of the previous presidents because they all had good intentions.

I'm not singing his praises. I'm saying what's good about it. It's not an ideal situation but he did the best he could with what he had and he had so many people in the office fighting against him. He couldn't magically make me employable nor is he specialized in coaching so unless he were to make a big claim like Trump did I wouldn't expect him to.

Oh yeah the hospital. They still keep calling about my bill there every now and then for that ONE time I went before the Affordable Care Act even though they said they would take care of it. I also know that the rare occasions I've been to the hospital you have to wait even longer even if you're super sick which doesn't bode well when I don't do well with physical discomfort. I remember the day I went to the hospital, I kept fighting not to go because again I try to avoid allopathy but I couldn't take it anymore because I seriously thought I was dying. I started crying in the hospital having to wait that long.

Of course when you're in the hospital you don't get much. As I say you have to be super sick. If I was still having to use the hospital, I imagine I would never walk again because my feet would be so inflamed I couldn't. It's best to take care of things before emergencies happen. Same thing with my gastritis..if I had to rely on the hospital for 8 years I might have got stomach cancer because they don't do endoscopies there.

Also yes while it does hurt some Americans financially, having the healthcare the other way puts a strain on the hospital doctors. That's just as bad just different people are strained for it because then I would have to keep going back and they'd have to keep treating me since they are limited. Plus in a way it is worse because they don't have enough doctors and you need a lot in a hospital. Because of me having to be there, they have to deal with less reasonable patients getting mad because I went in before them.

Finally, since I mostly try to treat myself with what little money I have as I try to avoid pharmaceuticals, with me having a regular doctor I only see a doctor a few times to get diagnosed. I refuse the toxins most of the time so you don't have to worry about me being a financial burden there because I don't use them. I attempt to let them sit in the pharmacy and then someone else can use them.

Not to mention, I probably wouldn't have birth control..or I might have it but I'd just be sicker due to the hormonal crap that is in those pills. I'd imagine that would cost more in the long run. When I think about it even though I had to use pharmaceuticals sometimes it seems to me I could avoid them more with free health insurance because if I were to get really sick it would be too late to use my herbs and supplements.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I'm a "coastal elite", so things have been great for me. I grew up in rural Kansas, but am now in the West Coast with a great salary and job at the age of 30. I bring this up to say that those of us with jobs, a brain, and any sense know that Dems are better for economic performance (as studies have shown).

Over the past eight years, the economy has been really solid, I've never felt any fear when walking the streets (tumps characteriszation), I've never feared about terrorism, driving across bridges (trumps comment), etc. Trump keeps talking about this horrible dystopian place, and when I walk around, I just don't see it. So either he's an idiot....or he really like alternative facts

So yeah, my life has been great on a personal level and I soundly attribute a lot of my success and that of the tech sector to him and moderate democratic economic policies.

Why do I HATE trump?

My number one policy concern is always free trade and free market capitalism. I want to ensure that barriers aren't in place so that companies can trade freely, build their products where ever it makes sense, and so forth. Trump's views and actions on this are terrifying. We need TPP, reduced trade barriers, and don't need the government telling companies that they can't make products in Mexico.

I also hate his authoritarian tendencies. But I'd think EVERY american would see the issue with that...except those who like strong men and want to be their puppet.

So... how do you feel about more government regulation on businesses and more businesses moving their operations overseas? Those reduce jobs in the U.S. which can increase unemployment. That is what democratic policies want to push. What happens if your company decides they can no longer afford to do business here with all of the regulations in place and decide to outsource your job to India, China, Mexico, etc.. ?

Not meant to start an argument, but just curious as to your response.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Two words: Judicial appointments

The only thing a president truly does, and not just supreme Court but all federal circuit courts as well
You mean he appointed political hacks into our court system based on affirmative actions particularly the two in the SC?

That's wonderful!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You mean he appointed political hacks into our court system based on affirmative actions particularly the two in the SC?

That's wonderful!
You think Trump won't do the same thing? Lmao I bet Trumps first nominee is to the right of Atilla the Hun

Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I agree with vision33r. Obama put more debt burden on me as a taxpayer. Although, I will be retiring in 14-17 years, so other people and their kids will have to pay it off. (I don't have kids.)
Not only higher taxes but my income is down $10,000 a year for the last 8 years due to Obama and the DemoncRats ... and they wonder why they lost.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Not only higher taxes but my income is down $10,000 a year for the last 8 years due to Obama and the DemoncRats ... and they wonder why they lost.
Really? You're in the wrong field then, my income went up 250% between Oct 08 and Nov 16

Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obama did nothing for me but increase the debt burden myself and kids will have to pay and increased the cost of health care for me and all my kids, that's about it. He also completely divided the country along racial and social issues grounds increasing hate across the board. He left Trump as mess.
Reduced the federal budget deficit from 9.8% of GDP in Fiscal Year 2009 under Bush, to 2.5% of GDP in FY 2015.

He did not divide the country along racial lines, except for white supremacists, who drew a stronger line in the sand because a black man had been elected. We saw that anger come out in support for Trump, who was another who attacked Obama's legitimacy as President because of his race.

Obamacare was a dismal failure. It did increase health care costs...for those in the individual policy market who didn't get a subsidy. To be fair, though...there should have been single payer, but that wasn't possible because of the Republicans.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
He got me healthcare coverage as I have pre-existing conditions that weren't coverable.
His policies helped the economy tremendously. We were losing 800K jobs a month in the Bush economy.
Because of his scotus appts I got the right to marry the man of my dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies