Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Not only do they believe they don't deserve their rights or choices, they believe none of us do.

That's where I draw the line. If you don't want to use birth control or have an abortion, fine by me. But don't go around shoving your religon down everyone's throat.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of how many show up for this march.

Abortion is morally corrupt and be responsible buy you own birth control or be responsible in your behavior.

Adults understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Abortion is morally corrupt and be responsible buy you own birth control or be responsible in your behavior.

Adults understand this.
Only female adults or male adults too?

Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM

15,862 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Adults understand this.
Adults understand that no birth control is 100% effective - someone has to be in that single digit percentile of people for whom birth control fails. They also understand that while most pregnancies are healthy, every woman is different and it might not be safe for a woman to continue a pregnancy - wanted or not. They also understand that while it is technically illegal to fire a woman on the basis of pregnancy, most states are right-to-work and their jobs and livelihoods might not be secure.

Adults also understand that other adults have a right to decide what happens to their own bodies.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Women who choose to terminate a pregnancy when it's safe and legal to do so also don't give a sh*t what some random yahoo on the internet thinks about it. Hate to break it to you, pal.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:33 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:

Adults understand this.
It is, however, none of your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Adults understand that no birth control is 100% effective - someone has to be in that single digit percentile of people for whom birth control fails. They also understand that while most pregnancies are healthy, every woman is different and it might not be safe for a woman to continue a pregnancy - wanted or not. They also understand that while it is technically illegal to fire a woman on the basis of pregnancy, most states are right-to-work and their jobs and livelihoods might not be secure.

Adults also understand that other adults have a right to decide what happens to their own bodies.
Well and truly spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
400,000 children in the foster care system. I look forward to see how these marchers are coming together to solve that problem, as well as the insane cost of daycare ($2000/mo at low-end centers for infants in my area) and a 1st world paid maternity and paternity leave policy. I suspect that given their pro-life views, they will also be rallying to support a universal healthcare system.

Right?
Of course they won't. This is because they are rank, stinking hypocrites. Hypocrites of the highest order.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:

Adults understand this.
Adults understand that unwanted pregnancies occur and that the best way to limit abortions is to make effective birth control cheap and very easy to obtain.

If I were anti-abortion I'd lobbying my congress people to make long-acting reversible contraception free to every woman in America who wanted it.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
KA, I'm asking you this because I see you as a reasonable conservative.

If you are opposed to abortion, are you in favor of easy or free access to birth control for anyone who wants it? What about funding for Planned Parenthood as long as it doesn't go toward abortions? Do you think insurance companies should be forced to pay for BC?
Thanks for the honest questions.

I have no problem with the ACA when it comes to the birth control mandates.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It'll be interesting to see who attends this march. I would never force anyone to have an abortion, which means I don't appreciate other people's attempts to take away that choice from me, my daughter, my daughter's friends, etc. Btw, I'm post-menopausal and I couldn't be more pro choice.

Abortion would still continue; you'd just see more women die from back alley abortions or coat hangers. Or you'll see more poverty from families trying to raise and care for unwanted children when they're not financially able to do so.

By the way, I'm very consistent. I'm pro choice, and I'm also in favor of the death penalty.

To anyone who tells me "put your money where your mouth is", I already did, thanks. I donated $100 to Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas (something tells me they need it more than the local offices here in Los Angeles).
Since you brought it up - I'm also very consistent. I am pro life and against the death penalty - and there are a few rare exceptions to each of those stances and I'm OK with that too.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Look, I'm not going to argue back and forth about abortion. Here's my belief system. I believe that human life starts at conception. That's my belief and it's never been disproven - just argued back and forth, but never disproven. Therefore, the very idea of abortion as a form of oopsie birth control absolutely appalls me. Please note that I do believe that there are exceptional cases when abortion could be justified, but those exceptions don't account for the hundreds of thousands of abortions that are performed every year in this country.

To me, it is a holocaust of horrific proportions. That is my belief. I understand that others don't agree with me. I also understand that I probably won't be able to convince them to believe me, and that they will probably not be able to convince me that human life - that indescribably precious gift of human life - does not begin at conception.

So that's why I generally don't debate abortion, even though I have very strong opinions about it.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Adults understand that unwanted pregnancies occur and that the best way to limit abortions is to make effective birth control cheap and very easy to obtain.

If I were anti-abortion I'd lobbying my congress people to make long-acting reversible contraception free to every woman in America who wanted it.
Birth control is not difficult to obtain - and it is generally free. For starters, insurance is a mandate. It is the law that every man, woman and child in the US have health insurance coverage. And birth control is mandated, with very few exceptions, to be freely provided to every person with health care coverage.

Quote:
Plans in the Health Insurance Marketplace must cover contraceptive methods and counseling for all women, as prescribed by a health care provider.

Plans must cover these services without charging a copayment or coinsurance when provided by an in-network provider — even if you haven’t met your deductible.
https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/...trol-benefits/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies