Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The rest of the world is moving toward building high tech gadgets, solar systems, wind generators, and sophisticated merchandise.

We're going to take America backward and spew out welded pipe, coal, and cars!

But, you see, those are businesses that his supporters are involved in. His supporters are not the high tech type, more the coal miner, blue collar worker type. Trump is also very outdated in his understanding of where the world is today and tomorrow. He still thinks in terms of 1970 steel mill America.

Those days are long gone, but he simply does not know that.......nor do his supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 04:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
They are the grandsons and granddaughters of people who immigrated just beyond living memory with nothing but their clothes and a suitcase. Their parents once were employed making meaningful things. Now they face prospects that are diminished by the corrupt system that closed factories in Ohio and Indiana and opened them Shenxing. That sold them NAFTA as a way of revitalizing Mexico to reduce the 3 million illegals, but let that boom to official 12 million.

They worked meaningless McJobs in retail or in the service industry. If their own kids did well in high school, they read in college brochures all about diversity. When their kids were passed over for college scholarship they had an inking their kids were passed over for lesser candidates who met some diversity criteria.

They were told to check their white privilege and that they were slaveholders. Meanwhile, grandpa had worked harvesting grape on some hillside in Italy when he was 7.

They would see hoodlums go wilding through a mall, they could not watch a movie in a cinema because no one dared to tell some youths to shut up for fear of being called a racist, they were told that their social security would have to be cut, but others would get free cell phones.

They were ignored, they were cheated, they were conned by the establishment, but worst of all they were disrespected by the guy that they voted for to bring them hope and change.
And, oddly, I am a white person who doesn't think that Obama or his administration ever disrespected me.

Being white in this country means that you have to accept that our forebears (and some of the white people here now, unfortunately) did not/do not treat brown folks so well.

As long as you're aware of this and can admit that this happens and if it did not we would not need laws to protect minority citizens, you're usually not going to wind up bitter and jaded.

First step... get educated. Get out of the town where you grew up and see parts of the world (even if it's just the next state over and you have to take a cheap bus to get there or chip in with a bunch of friends to get gas and drive there) that you have never seen before.

Get to know some people who are not JUST LIKE YOU.

These types of experiences can make a huge difference.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
But, you see, those are businesses that his supporters are involved in. His supporters are not the high tech type, more the coal miner, blue collar worker type. Trump is also very outdated in his understanding of where the world is today and tomorrow. He still thinks in terms of 1970 steel mill America.

Those days are long gone, but he simply does not know that.......nor do his supporters.
He's 70. He's done the same type of shtick to make money for decades.

Hell, my mom is 70 and she's clueless about tech, too. Every time he posts a tweet, it sounds like something he is barely sure he's posting correctly. I sort of picture him calling up Ivanka to ask her how to get the Twitter app back every time he accidentally deletes it, just like I do with my mom when she screws up all the apps on her iPhone.

But, she's not currently running the country and while I love her dearly, I am VERY glad.

Note: No offense intended toward older folks who are good with tech. I know you exist. My friend's dad is nearly 80 and knows his smartphone inside and out.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You're going to regret this one day.

I'm glad I already understand how much of a four-alarm dumpster fire this man is..

I'm not personally scared in the sense that I'm a white person from a pretty affluent area. I just have empathy for others and I have more respect for the office of the President than to want such a joker sitting in it.

I realize that you're all about "winning!" but you know that the "good, ole days" are never coming back. I guess you're bitter over it. But, they're gone.

And after the huge email dump we will surely get from all the unsecured servers that Trump and his band of misfits use, we will see some crazy stuff.

You'll call it fake news, but I realize full well that you will know it's not.

• Regret one day? Maybe. I ended up regretting that I voted for Obama.
  • I respect your right to opinion just like the author of that piece you linked.
  • I'm not bitter nor do I have illusion's of good ole days. But the USA needs an industrial policy that puts the American workers first. I'm not sure why anyone would be against this.
  • Get back to us when that happens.
  • If I've called something fake, that isn't, please feel free to point that out.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:13 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

That line of thinking is why trump won. What percentage of people who voted for trump do you actually think are freaking coal miners?

Old 01-25-2017, 05:15 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Trump loses in deal with automakers - Business Insider

I guess they aren't going to give him the job numbers he was crowing about after all.

Ouch.
WOW Dow breaks 20,000 for the first time in history.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:32 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
I did not realize the Obama administration put us so far behind.

China IS the #1 producer of steel, coal and cars.

Hopefully Trump will bring us up to speed where we should be and we can begin the building of more sophisticated merchandise.

Quote:
The rest of the world is moving toward building high tech gadgets, solar systems, wind generators, and sophisticated merchandise.

We're going to take America backward and spew out welded pipe, coal, and cars!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:34 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Heh. I listened to a presentation from the Vestas CEO - Vestas is an 8-billion Euro company making wind turbines, for those not in that field, roughly 10-12% market share globally.

Whose R&D are they watching? China's. The US major player - GE Wind - is playing massively to its US home-court advantage and puts out solid, but uninspired hardware. China is investing massively in renewable energy - playing the long game, as China does. And their stuff is getting sophisticated.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
I guess I could go dig up the actual interview with GM, but they issued a press release days ago, so the author is basing this one on an actual press release from GM that already exists.
Where in the link does it say that GM had a deal with Trump which he lost? GM did say they were investing 1 billion in US I have a link. This thread "WOW!! Trump loses in deal with US automaker!" is really just false you have to admit right? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...dditional-jobs

If you want to talk about automakers using Trump to bolster their plans that would be True GM had plans to build plants in the US they are just using Trump to get positive news I would agree with that.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:45 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Trump loses in deal with automakers - Business Insider

I guess they aren't going to give him the job numbers he was crowing about after all.

Ouch.
The best the lib haters can do is get excited when American jobs are lost....sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies