Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
... of 350 million Americans, how many are born into such circumstances and/or environments that point a fast path to ongoing poverty, because when born into a poor uneducated family (if any family at all), odds are you will live that same life growing up. Exceptions to the rule, of course, but the rule nevertheless. So..., as our population grows and so many millions are at the bottom of the economic ladder, so increases the number born into that bottom of the pyramid. Therefore the odds that America will have less people in poverty rather than more in the future is slim.

Also it would seem those who are either born better off or manage to escape poverty somehow are better off continuing with social assistance programs for those less fortunate, because they do better for a variety of reasons; access to cheap labor, more consumers that consume the goods that make the registers ring for the more wealthy, less cost to protect and replace damage from riots and other destructive behavior born from ignorance and lack of hope, maybe just the right thing to give others a shot at a decent life.

The beginning of my theory in any case, leading to the inevitable need and growth of social programs looking forward with little change other than perhaps a growing gap between rich and poor.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...what-odds.html
Memes are like genes and people in that situation cannot escape genes or memes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Why do some whites here make threads about what Black people do, how we vote, and who we vote for with their fake concern?

Go talk to an actual Black person instead of creating another useless thread. The most you're going to get from us here are side eyes and snarky remarks.
Actually it doesn't make sense to people and instead of mocking them when they ask, why not answer the question. Maybe you have good reason that people don't understand. Isn't understanding others what it supposed to be about?

Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Actually it doesn't make sense to people and instead of mocking them when they ask, why not answer the question. Maybe you have good reason that people don't understand. Isn't understanding others what it supposed to be about?
We aren't seeking your understanding. Maybe we have a good reason, but maybe our reasoning is lousy. It's nothing to y'all either way.

You have a vote. Cast it. That's the only vote you can control. What us black folks do is between us. We aren't asking to be understood.

If you wanna know, ask a black person that you know personally.

If you're scared to do that, or you don't know any black people, then that's too bad. But we're under no obligation to explain it regardless.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Perhaps the elected local politicians are getting a piece of the drug action from the gangs. The Mexican gangs are in cahoots with the native gangs and the politicos and law enforcement honchos are paid off to look the other way. It always comes down to money.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:51 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why do black voters still so monolithically give their vote to Democrats like this who obviously don't care about them after election day? I am genuinely asking black voters here, what am I missing? Doesn't this tick you off?
A lot of them are used to not working and getting a check from the government.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
A lot of them are used to not working and getting a check from the government.
Oh really?

And Republicans have kicked their millions of white welfare voters off the dole?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well from all the non-answers I'm getting here, I have no choice but to assume that in fact you must not know why you vote for Democrats, or at least don't know enough about it to give an intelligent response to the question...

You'd think that you'd want to counter all the morons giving stereotypical, borderline racist answers like "free stuff" and "Obamaphone", etc.

Your comment is historically inaccurate. Republicans freed the slaves. Republicans pushed for the 13th Amendment. Meanwhile, Democrats were busy putting sheets over their heads and lynching people,but that's a discussion for another thread.

Ok then, but if that's the case, then I'm tired of hearing black people whining and moaning about how white people need to realize and be honest about the plight of black people and be more considerate and helpful in resolving issues of systemic racism, police brutality, etc.

Here, you have that. I've genuinely asked black people to lend me some insight in to something I may not understand, and I did so without judgment or pretense, and I've got nothing but resistance and judgment in return.

You can't demand we be a part of the solution and then slap us in the face when we make an effort to do just that.
Ok, I am black and educated and never lived in poverty and I vote for the party where I feel most people will benefit during an election year or cycle. My father taught me well. I highly suggest that you do some scholarly research for this issue that you are greatly concerned about regarding the way in which black people vote.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We aren't seeking your understanding. Maybe we have a good reason, but maybe our reasoning is lousy. It's nothing to y'all either way.

You have a vote. Cast it. That's the only vote you can control. What us black folks do is between us. We aren't asking to be understood.

If you wanna know, ask a black person that you know personally.

If you're scared to do that, or you don't know any black people, then that's too bad. But we're under no obligation to explain it regardless.
Interesting perspective...

True, no one is under any obligation to explain themselves about anything generally speaking, just like we're under no obligation to help someone in need to cross the street. However, there are other considerations besides obligation that might inspire us to do something, or not. Better understanding among us seems like an awfully good reason to make the effort to explain our thoughts, feelings and opinion, but unfortunately, no matter the hope along those lines, as we get older, we simply seem less and less able to objectively consider alternative points of view. As pretty much all comments in these threads always seems to prove.

Sad if you ask me...

Old 01-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh really?

And Republicans have kicked their millions of white welfare voters off the dole?
I believe just about every Republican knows a fellow Republican who enjoys the benefits of social programs typically championed by Democrats, but even if it is that Republican benefiting from those programs, they STILL sound off unfairly about those relying on those benefits as if "lazy" or "bums." Truly an amazing thing to witness while it's everything you can do not to point out the hypocrisy...

For example, I have a good friend who was doing very well financially at a very young age. He and his wife both; nice new house, boat, kids, Republicans. My family and theirs had lots of fun together, and talking politics was always interesting too, because they were so conservative (religious too), quite different from me. Then, as we got older, he lost his job. Truly struggled during the Great Recession and never really could recover. Gets harder and harder to do so when we get older. She got MS, and her health deteriorated quickly. They eventually had the boat repossessed, lost the house, began to rely on help from family, friends and their church, but of course that's not nearly enough for any family of four. Of course they turned to government assistance in a big way, for medical help and a good deal more.

Somehow, some way, they still think the liberal leaning toward providing those sorts of benefits is a mistake or somehow wrong. You can't really argue, because to do so is to point out how hypocritical they are and that doesn't make for maintaining friendships, not that we see them much anymore now that they're divorced and hardly in the mood for talking about much let alone politics.

Then there's my other Republican friend who's daughter was born prematurely, disabled, pretty much deaf, and though the amount of public assistance to help her in many ways, most certainly including education (grants and much else), still he votes Republican. (His wife is a teacher and she and their daughters are all Democrats). Why is he Republican? Religion. Strong Christian and can't support gay rights. He too though, not exactly the "lazy bum who doesn't want to work." Quite the contrary!

Republicans just can't seem to see straight is about the only way I know how to put it...

Last edited by LearnMe; 01-29-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Ok, I am black and educated and never lived in poverty and I vote for the party where I feel most people will benefit during an election year or cycle. My father taught me well. I highly suggest that you do some scholarly research for this issue that you are greatly concerned about regarding the way in which black people vote.
Yes, better education and research will generally help people not so much come to agree, but better understand WHY we don't agree...

Like some of these Republicans who claim it was Republicans who "freed the slaves." We should all know by now that the Republicans of that day are not the Republican party of today. Anyone who doesn't understand the truth of that statement ought to. I think we all know better that back then it was pretty much the North against the South, the Union against the Confederates.

In similar fashion, the notion that it was Republicans rather than Democrats that championed Civil Rights, because Southern Democrats once upon a time were racists, again ignores all the facts of these matters and historical context. Much like the Republican platform of once upon a time is not that of the GOP today, those Southern Democrats are in no way representative of the agenda of Democrats today. See JFK vs George Wallace to learn a bit more about this.

Here too is plenty more to learn for those obviously in need and who may be interested in learning what they don't know, because as usual when it comes to these issues and history, "it's complicated."

Abraham Lincoln: Republican or Democrat?

Lincoln was the first Republican President, but Lincoln’s Republican party had a very different platform in 1860 than they do today in 2016 (it was more “republican” in many respects). In fact, given Lincoln’s geographic location (the North), and where he stood on issues (with the moderates of the Union), a strong case can be made that he would be more like a modern Democrat than a Republican (and that platforms have simply switched between parties over time). With that said, the details are more complex than that, as we have to account not only for the Southern Conservative south in the Anti-Federalist line, but for the pro-business and know-nothing nativism of the north in the Federalist line, and the changing parties of the 1850’s to truly get Lincoln.

Lincoln was a Republican - Fact or Myth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies