Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
When Republicans do reach out to blacks, it is automatically portrayed as not being sincere. The Liberal machine tries to diminish any outreach effort as pandering, and when you have the infrastructure that the liberal machine has ( news media, entertainment, etc.) shaping the message, Republicans wouldn't be on a level playing field even if they did try.

I think another reason that you don't see this kind of outreach is because Republicans, unlike Democrats, don't divide the citizenry up and tailor a specific message to each, or, more accurately, they don't practice identity politics. I think Republicans rightly see the concerns of African Americans as basically the same concerns that everyone else has.... Economy/jobs, National Security, education, etc.
Right. Your notions and theories also explain why there are so many more black Democrats in Congress than there are black Republicans. Must be the "Liberal machine" crushing all those well-intentioned Republicans who just can't get a fair shake from the media, entertainment and all the rest...

Or..., perhaps there is a better cause/effect analysis out there, perhaps by other than a conservative who can't seem to accept the simple truth of these matters no matter the history, facts, statistics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think it's not disputable that allowing in millions of immigrants in who lack tech skills has caused wage stagnation. It's simple Supply and Demand of low skill labor. But I've worked a few low skill jobs and honestly if I was a business owner I'd prefer immigrant labor, too. They show up and time, work harder, and switch jobs less often. The multigenerational American poor are mostly unhirable and quite frankly many are less a part of mainstream American culture than people who arrived 6 months ago. I really think you have to fix the major social problems in poor America before you can cut off immigrant labor.
Absolutely. Mexicans are the latter day Italians. They work all day, they don't complain, don't call in sick, none of it. All they know is work.

But, about mayors, I understand it because illegal immigrants are a big part of the Democrat party. Blacks are already in the fold, for better or worse.

Democrats knew they would never win another national election after they passed all the 1960's civil rights laws. They knew their only hope was to get new voters who wanted what they did since the existing voters didn't. So they started importing them. Now that they have enough, they think, they can forget about their old voters (working people) and go on with what they've always been about.

That's why they don't even want to deport even criminal aliens. They are part of their new base.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
I think it's not disputable that allowing in millions of immigrants in who lack tech skills has caused wage stagnation. It's simple Supply and Demand of low skill labor. But I've worked a few low skill jobs and honestly if I was a business owner I'd prefer immigrant labor, too. They show up and time, work harder, and switch jobs less often. The multigenerational American poor are mostly unhirable and quite frankly many are less a part of mainstream American culture than people who arrived 6 months ago. I really think you have to fix the major social problems in poor America before you can cut off immigrant labor.
If Americans really knew how much money flows into this country from foreigners and how that money works in our economy, many might likely change their tune about immigrants in the first place, non-citizens with work visas. Been to a 7/11 lately and talked to the owner?

Then again, with a requirement of $500,000 to spend, how many average Americans can even relate at even the most basic level to who and what these foreigners really represent to us economically? They can't...

"As the largest economy in the World with the greatest number of opportunities the United States is an incredibly popular immigration destination. The US processes many millions of immigrant and non-immigrant visa applications for workers, business people, investors, family members, every year.

The US visa system is probably the most complex in the World. There are so many different visa options that it is difficult to know which visa may be relevant. Generally to enter the US in the long term you need to have a high level job offer, or start a business or apply as an immigrant relative. We find that the most popular work related visa categories are E-2 treaty investor, L-1A and L-1B intracompany transfer, B-1 in lieu of H-1B and H-1B visa. For employment based immigration one of the best options is the EB1-C for international executives and managers.

US work visas are broken into two main categories: temporary non-immigrant work visas, and employment based immigrant visas (also known as Green Cards), which grant the holder lawful permanent residence.

The US B-1 business visitor visas can be obtained quickly at an US Embassy or Consulate. For businesses wishing to set up in the US this can be done at a low cost under the L-1 intra-company transfer visa or E-2 Treaty Investor Visa or E-1 Treaty Trader visa scheme. For those looking for permanent residence with at least $500,000 to spend the EB-5 immigrant investor visa scheme is worth considering."

US Business and work visas | Workpermit.com

Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
When Republicans do reach out to blacks, it is automatically portrayed as not being sincere. The Liberal machine tries to diminish any outreach effort as pandering, and when you have the infrastructure that the liberal machine has ( news media, entertainment, etc.) shaping the message, Republicans wouldn't be on a level playing field even if they did try.

I think another reason that you don't see this kind of outreach is because Republicans, unlike Democrats, don't divide the citizenry up and tailor a specific message to each, or, more accurately, they don't practice identity politics. I think Republicans rightly see the concerns of African Americans as basically the same concerns that everyone else has.... Economy/jobs, National Security, education, etc.
No it is not. John Kasich did better among Blacks than other GOP candidates. He reached out. Rand Paul reached out. Kasich reached out too.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...american-votes

Rand Paul's pursuit of black voters splits GOP - Washington Times

They aren't being accused of being "fake".

Old 02-15-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
You've made this point quite a bit throughout this thread, and I think it really is a good point that makes practical and logical sense, but as I read it this time, something occurred to me.....

Why would either party do anything for blacks? The Democrats rightly operate under the assumption that they've got the black vote locked down, regardless of what they may or may not do for blacks, and the Republicans rightly operate under the assumption that the black vote is, for the most part, beyond their reach....

The only time political parties are going to do anything for blacks, or any other group, is when they have to compete for the support of that group, and the only time they're going to compete for the support of that group is when there is a realistic chance of winning ( or losing ) that support.
I look at things like this. I see alot of obsession over who Blacks vote for. Growing up, I rarely asked "why do said persons vote for this political party". I didn't care. Why other individuals who are not running for office care so much I could not fathom. I just go and get mine.

The way I see it, if both parties put Blacks last, then alot of people really shouldn't ask "why do Blacks vote Democrat?". I feel like some persons ask such questions out of concern for themselves, and not Blacks. If Blacks as a group do worse compared to other groups, regardless of what political party is in charge, does it really matter?

Old 02-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
If immigrant labor is preferred, then it really doesn't matter who Blacks vote for.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Absolutely. Mexicans are the latter day Italians. They work all day, they don't complain, don't call in sick, none of it. All they know is work.

But, about mayors, I understand it because illegal immigrants are a big part of the Democrat party. Blacks are already in the fold, for better or worse.

Democrats knew they would never win another national election after they passed all the 1960's civil rights laws. They knew their only hope was to get new voters who wanted what they did since the existing voters didn't. So they started importing them. Now that they have enough, they think, they can forget about their old voters (working people) and go on with what they've always been about.

That's why they don't even want to deport even criminal aliens. They are part of their new base.
I would look at the city of Miami. Miami has never officially been a sanctuary city. However, it operated like on for a long time. Alot of illegals have gone to Miami. Many came from Haiti. Miami has had Republican mayors in the past, and has a Republican mayor now. Blacks in Miami still do really bad. There have been several riots started by Black Americans in Miami. And it is not just Black American/Cuban relations that are bad. There are racial tensions between Black Americans and Haitians.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Alright well, raising the minimum wage is a decidedly liberal policy, and you're saying that essentially 80% of blacks want to raise it, so that goes back to my original question here..... aren't there black people who take the Conservative view on raising the min. wage?

That's not to argue for against raising the min. wage, it's just to say that in any large group of people, I'd expect there to be more of a divide on issues like this?
I think the better question is, why do you assume there would be a divide or why you believe it is liberal and not just human ?

Some situations and issues just have universal support.

I dont think you would actually find a person who believes anyone should make less money, and in fact, like polling shows, most people believe they should make more, that is regardless of affiliation.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:

2 Problems here.

1. Both sides use identity politics Whether your identity is regional or religionous is no different than if you divide people up by race, gender or sexuality, it is still an identity and Both parties speak to it.

2. Issues arent the same. We can pretend they are, but that is part of the issue right there and a reason republicans lose black people. Pretending everyone has the same exact problems is a lie.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If Americans really knew how much money flows into this country from foreigners and how that money works in our economy, many might likely change their tune about immigrants in the first place, non-citizens with work visas. Been to a 7/11 lately and talked to the owner?

Then again, with a requirement of $500,000 to spend, how many average Americans can even relate at even the most basic level to who and what these foreigners really represent to us economically? They can't...

"As the largest economy in the World with the greatest number of opportunities the United States is an incredibly popular immigration destination. The US processes many millions of immigrant and non-immigrant visa applications for workers, business people, investors, family members, every year.

The US visa system is probably the most complex in the World. There are so many different visa options that it is difficult to know which visa may be relevant. Generally to enter the US in the long term you need to have a high level job offer, or start a business or apply as an immigrant relative. We find that the most popular work related visa categories are E-2 treaty investor, L-1A and L-1B intracompany transfer, B-1 in lieu of H-1B and H-1B visa. For employment based immigration one of the best options is the EB1-C for international executives and managers.

US work visas are broken into two main categories: temporary non-immigrant work visas, and employment based immigrant visas (also known as Green Cards), which grant the holder lawful permanent residence.

The US B-1 business visitor visas can be obtained quickly at an US Embassy or Consulate. For businesses wishing to set up in the US this can be done at a low cost under the L-1 intra-company transfer visa or E-2 Treaty Investor Visa or E-1 Treaty Trader visa scheme. For those looking for permanent residence with at least $500,000 to spend the EB-5 immigrant investor visa scheme is worth considering."

US Business and work visas | Workpermit.com
There you go, conflating legal immigration with illegal immigration.

To the extent that you can make an economic case for illegal immigration, I couldn't care less, because for me at least, the issue of illegal immigration is one of principle, not dollars/cents or cost/benefit, and shame on us as a country for allowing any aspect of our economy to be dependent in any way on the contributions of illegal immigration.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-15-2017 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies