Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They make their money from ads and data collection. Why do you think the membership does not cost anything?

Yes, while advertising came later, FB earns a nice bit of change from that part of their business.

Same with Google; one of if not the largest share of income from that "search engine" company comes from advertising.

But the two go together, which is why so many tech companies regardless of actual product eventually move to offering some component of advertising.

Few truly realize that every single website (City-Data included) obtain vast amounts of data every time someone logs on/uses their website. Those who have completed any sort of online information to "register" add to that pot.

Unless using a masking or anonymous browser service your IP address gives anyone with a website plenty of information. Where you go on the web, what you view, etc... all can be tracked. Armed with this information content can be altered to suit and or whatever.

If you've noticed Youtube and many other websites now have "Recommended for You", or other content that matches in whole or part what you've viewed recently. More so if you accept cookies, and worse never bother to clear your cache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, while advertising came later, FB earns a nice bit of change from that part of their business.

Same with Google; one of if not the largest share of income from that "search engine" company comes from advertising.
Yes. You might have noticed that after you google for a product, like a TV, all of a sudden your Facebook feed is full of TV deals, and same goes for other popular web pages like the news outlets.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes; it's enough to make me want to delete Facebook. Too many people are getting access to my information; it has nothing to do with who is posting what.
I don't have a facebook account, never have, and never will. For a long time I've been telling family and friends who do, someday you'll regret posting all this personal stuff you do, not to mention the time you waste telling everyone worldwide what you had for dinner last night.

Bad things can and do happen to all of us from time to time, but why make it so freaking easy for anyone with nefarious motives. It's like allowing everyone in the world to peek into the windows of your house 24/7. What could possibly go wrong with that ????

Personal information is very valuable these days, why give it away so easily to someone who may well use it against your best interests in the future.

Lest you wonder, I haven't managed to convince many people...lol. So all you facebook posters, carry on and keep posting as you've been encouraged to do. Might as well make the marketers and information gathering people happy!

Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Default Wow! 400 point drop on the Dow Today!

Anyone tracking what's happening on Wall Street today?

480 point drop at one point. Now recovered a bit to "only" a 380 or so drop. But, still: Yikes! We've been seeing a lot of this lately.

Most pundits are attributing today's drop to three things:

1. The news that broke over the weekend about Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. Facebook has taken a huge hit this morning. That drove tech stocks down as well. How Trump Consultants Exploited the Facebook Data of Millions

2. Fed Reserve is expected to do an interest rate hike on Wednesday Anticipation over rate hike forecast from Federal Reserve tops economic news this week

3. Investors are also worried about potential global trade war. Dow suffers 400-point skid

---

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-19-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Default Anyone dumping their Facebook account over the Cambridge Analytica scandal

The Cambridge Analytica scandal seems to be flaring up again. The main upshot being that Facebook allowed profile information for millions of it's users to be used "inappropriately" (however that could be defined.)

I have to wonder how many people will now walk away from using Facebook because of this? It's stock is taking a big hit in the market because of this. The Euro Politicritters are making noises about going after Facebook for privacy violations.

Could this be the start of the downward slide of Facebook? Or has it become too big a part of the infrastructure of the lives of too many people.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Wanted to add another article that provides a very detailed look at current economic trends. I'm not sure I agree 100% with all of the conclusions, but the data is quite interesting, especially in comparing where we are today to 2007-2008.

Does the recent stock market sell off foreshadow a new recession?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:09 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Those are likely factors, but shouldn't make too much off of one day (good or bad), and this is far from the drops and volatile trading we saw about 6 weeks ago

Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I was listening to NPR this morning and they were discussing how this meddling by Facebook somehow got Trump elected?
I know talk about over reaching but they were. I think they forget that Mark Zuckerberg was a Hillary fan....

I like facebook and still plan on using it. I'm not one to put my life history on there and never post such personal achievements as finishing my meal at a restaurant so maybe these Cambridge people didn't target me.

Still NPR was trying to link all this to Trump and hold it up as a reason why he won.

Ridiculous.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Those are likely factors, but shouldn't make too much off of one day (good or bad), and this is far from the drops and volatile trading we saw about 6 weeks ago
Yes, I was just reading another article saying that today's drop has been "orderly." That is better than the panic selling we saw in February, but still disconcerting.

Here's that article:

Stock-market selling relatively orderly, according to one gauge of panic, despite Dow's 480-point tumble

The Fed probably doesn't take single day drops like this into account in their decision making, so my guess is they'll stick with their planned rate increase on Wednesday. So, the *good news* is that maybe the markets will get the drop out of their system today and not show much reaction after the Fed announcement. What are your thoughts on that?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was listening to NPR this morning and they were discussing how this meddling by Facebook somehow got Trump elected?
I know talk about over reaching but they were. I think they forget that Mark Zuckerberg was a Hillary fan....

I like facebook and still plan on using it. I'm not one to put my life history on there and never post such personal achievements as finishing my meal at a restaurant so maybe these Cambridge people didn't target me.

Still NPR was trying to link all this to Trump and hold it up as a reason why he won.

Ridiculous.
Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies