Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:46 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times

Advertisements

.....and what he did.

I guess he gave some sort of Black History month speech today and....it was something else. As usual.

"Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I noticed."

"Last month, we celebrated the life of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. It turned out that that was fake news. Fake news. The statue is cherished, it’s one of the favorite things in the—and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. But they said the statue, the bust of Martin Luther King, was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is. Very unfortunate....."

"And Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community. He’s all by himself. You’ll have seven people, and Paris. And I’ll take Paris over the seven. But I don’t watch CNN, so I don’t get to see you as much as I used to. I don’t like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice. Wherever Fox is, thank you.

There were also shout outs to Ben Carson and Omarosa in they "Hey, I'm not racist, I have black friends" category.

Sigh. He should have just skipped speaking
https://www.google.com/amp/theconcou...?client=safari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 12:47 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
.....and what he did.

I guess he gave some sort of Black History month speech today and....it was something else. As usual.

"Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I noticed."

"Last month, we celebrated the life of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. It turned out that that was fake news. Fake news. The statue is cherished, it’s one of the favorite things in the—and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. But they said the statue, the bust of Martin Luther King, was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is. Very unfortunate....."

"And Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community. He’s all by himself. You’ll have seven people, and Paris. And I’ll take Paris over the seven. But I don’t watch CNN, so I don’t get to see you as much as I used to. I don’t like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice. Wherever Fox is, thank you.

There were also shout outs to Ben Carson and Omarosa in they "Hey, I'm not racist, I have black friends" category.

Sigh. He should have just skipped speaking
https://www.google.com/amp/theconcou...?client=safari

it was much better than Obama's speeches where he acted like blacks are still living in Jim Crow.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:50 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
I saw this. I don't get the big deal...

Old 02-01-2017, 12:51 PM

778 posts, read 339,479 times
How DARE the President of the United States honor people like Frederick Douglas and MLK, Jr.!!!11!1! eleventy!!

Why that is down right despicable!!!1!!!

I am outraged I tell you, OUT_RAGED! Where did I put my vagina hat and BLM/Che T-shirt???

Faux outrage - isn't outrage. Tell your friends.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
it was much better than Obama's speeches where he acted like blacks are still living in Jim Crow.
You have GOT to be kidding.

Trump's speech was an absolute train wreck and highly disrespectful.

If what you got out of any of Obama's speeches is that he thinks that black people are still living under Jim Crow, you really didn't have your mind open to what the man had to say.

I am so embarrassed of white people sometimes. And I am one.

You do not have to be ashamed of being white. I am quite proud of my diverse (largely European) background.

You just need to appreciate that being white has done you a great deal of favors JUST because you are white. By "favors" I do not mean that you've necessarily had an easy life, that you're rolling in cash, or that everything you want was simply handed to you. I am talking about a very simple, yet profound notion. That you enjoy some benefits in this society that slant things in your favor JUST because your skin is pale.

That's what white privilege is, and the sooner white people accept that they have it, the sooner we can go about eliminating it entirely and we can all just be equals.

Equality is all that anyone really wants, but every time any group tries to get it... women, black people... noooo... someone wants to put the brakes on and act like that group wants to elevate themselves above everyone else.

*sigh*

Old 02-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
How DARE the President of the United States honor people like Frederick Douglas and MLK, Jr.!!!11!1! eleventy!!

I am outraged I tell you, OUT_RAGED! Where did I put my vagina hat and BLM/Che T-shirt???

If that's how you think of "honoring" anyone, remind me not to ask you to introduce me if I ever do anything of global note.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post

Uh...it would be great if he did really talk about them instead of whining about the fake news and MLK's bust in his office and all that nonsense while basically just mentioning their names.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You have GOT to be kidding.

Trump's speech was an absolute train wreck and highly disrespectful.

If what you got out of any of Obama's speeches is that he thinks that black people are still living under Jim Crow, you really didn't have your mind open to what the man had to say.

I am so embarrassed of white people sometimes. And I am one.

You do not have to be ashamed of being white. I am quite proud of my diverse (largely European) background.

You just need to appreciate that being white has done you a great deal of favors JUST because you are white. By "favors" I do not mean that you've necessarily had an easy life, that you're rolling in cash, or that everything you want was simply handed to you. I am talking about a very simple, yet profound notion. That you enjoy some benefits in this society that slant things in your favor JUST because your skin is pale.

That's what white privilege is, and the sooner white people accept that they have it, the sooner we can go about eliminating it entirely and we can all just be equals.

Equality is all that anyone really wants, but every time any group tries to get it... women, black people... noooo... someone wants to put the brakes on and act like that group wants to elevate themselves above everyone else.

*sigh*
embarrassed of white people? Typical liberal. LMAO

Old 02-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
embarrassed of white people? Typical liberal. LMAO
Nope.... not all of them. Just ones who are so willfully intent on not seeing that they are privileged.

Fortunately, we don't all think like those people and there are plenty of white people who know they are privileged solely for being white and who work very hard to ensure that others are treated equally.

It's called "being a caring human being."

Old 02-01-2017, 01:04 PM

778 posts, read 339,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If that's how you think of "honoring" anyone, remind me not to ask you to introduce me if I ever do anything of global note.
No need to remind you. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies